Hershey warns of looming Halloween candy shortage

athenasius

I like Liver and Onions, and George likes the way I do them up too. I don't overcook liver, I fry it gently with a light dusting of flour to seal in the tender pink goodness. No bootleather strips of chalky dry overcooked unpleasantness. Just melt in the mouth tender goodness with a light crispy coating. And onions that have been gently and slowly fried in some olive oil and butter till they caramelize just as @alisani describes.

SkyRider

yep liver (cooked) and onions on a sandwich is awesome
You're probably a vegemite fan too, right? I had to try that stuff on a layover in Melbourne. I had heard about it through that song by Men At Work, when they talked about a vegemite sandwich. So, I get the brilliant idea to first try it in a pizza. The absolute WORST pizza I have ever had. Yikes!

athenasius

You're probably a vegemite fan too, right? I had to try that stuff on a layover in Melbourne. I had heard about it through that song by Men At Work, when they talked about a vegemite sandwich. So, I get the brilliant idea to first try it in a pizza. The absolute WORST pizza I have ever had. Yikes!
I have always wondered what vegemite tastes like. As long as food is dead and doesn't move on the plate, I'll try just about anything once.
It's great stuff but you have to go easy, thin scraped on, almost scraped off layers of the stuff, it's not like peanut butter. Treat it the same as you would a layer of hot mustard or fresh horseradish.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Vegemite is only good on toast, you have to get the butter to vegemite ratio right otherwise it taste horrible LOL

athenasius

Sounds tasty!
It's made from yeast, so it's a bit like a cross between nutritional yeast, brewers yeast with a texture like peanut butter. It's a savoury flavour but it can be overwhelming to the first timer. Thin, thin, tiny bits first to build up to it. @Spartan Sprinter 1 is right, put a good layer of butter on FIRST, then scrape the tiniest bit on top and try one small bite.

SkyRider

Vegemite is only good on toast, you have to get the butter to vegemite ratio right otherwise it taste horrible LOL
I used to fly with an Aussie occasionally and I would see this guy at breakfast in the hotel, with a big stack of toast and him just lathering on the vegemite on to the toast. He told me that it was a good hangover cure for him after a night of drinking.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
If there is a chocolate shortage, I have found that a can of SPAM lasts longer than a candy bar. Sometimes through two or three Halloweens.

I noticed today that my Costco had a massive display of Spam next to a massive display of little cans of Vienna sausage. I'm not quite sure how it fits in, but I feel certain that that display is indicative of the end of days.

Is the shelf life of Spam and Vienna sausage 7 years by any chance?

I figure if anyone can answer this important question @Footsteps could.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I used to fly with an Aussie occasionally and I would see this guy at breakfast in the hotel, with a big stack of toast and him just lathering on the vegemite on to the toast. He told me that it was a good hangover cure for him after a night of drinking.
AHAHAH is he crazy, too much vegemite is a big nono so i could see how he would sober up quickly tasting such a high dosage of vegemite LOL

Jaybird

Because of course, as we all know so well

THE UKRAINE is the world supply of Cocoa beans-- being the topmost grower of Cocoa beans the world has ever known! :sarcasm

Sounds like Hershey's, Nestle and others are borrowing their Excuse O' the Day from Excuses R Us poster child President Biden.

EVERYTHING happens now because er ummm, RUSSIA or ummmm errrrr UKRAINE!!!!

NEVER EVER because the Excuse O Meter in chief just happened to put the kibosh on OIL, causing world wide prices of OIL to SOAR, meaning that factories (even those far off processors of cocoa beans in the Caribbean side of Ukraine) have to pay more to process the raw cocoa, then ship the stuff to Switzerland, Britain, America and elsewhere for processing using oil powered ships, trains and trucks.

Or that the much vaunted fertilizer shortage owes more to the shortage of petrochemicals than it does to any potash production slowdown.
Totally agree with you! All of this is due to Russia! Joe os doing the best he can, what a great man he is. His deep faith in God (read a story about this on Politico) really shines through. Let's go Brandon!!!!!! (sorry, couldn't resist).

MapleLeaf

OK, I protest. This beautiful chocolate thread has been completely usurped by liver and vegemite. The horrible inhumanity of running out of chocolate is about to befall us and we're talking about these abominations! Chocolate-covered raisins make the world go round. We only invented raisins to dip them into chocolate so now what are the raisin people are going to do?? We might as well tear down all the vineyards too. Grapes are just future chocolate-covered raisins. Don't need any of 'em now. And we'll have to cancel Christmas because chocolate Turtles are necessary to celebrate the holidays.

But no. Go on. Keep talking about yeasty organs and vegetables.

TimeWarpWife

I noticed today that my Costco had a massive display of Spam next to a massive display of little cans of Vienna sausage. I'm not quite sure how it fits in, but I feel certain that that display is indicative of the end of days.

Is the shelf life of Spam and Vienna sausage 7 years by any chance?

I figure if anyone can answer this important question @Footsteps could.
Count yourself lucky if the Spam and Vienna sausages weren't being housed in plastic security cases out of reach from the customers as some stores in NYC are doing. Here's the story https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-city-store-locks-spam-plastic-case-amid-crime-spike

Back