Prices Already Rising

ReadyOrNot

I’ve noticed a change in the atmosphere of the grocery store where I shop. It used to be sort of a bustling, happy place and people smiled and made small talk about the best brand to buy of an item, etc. Now, it’s a quiet, depressing place. No customer smiles- only sad expressions. It seems like shoppers are in a state of shock as they look at prices and try to figure out how to stretch their food budgets. Pretty sad.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
The same brand and size dish washing detergent that's usually by far the cheapest that used to be $0.99-$1.19 crept up to $1.89-$2.19 over the last couple years Suddenly, it's $3.19 :eek :furious :rant :mad :wild :apostasy :frust :cry

The other brands are worse :eek

Paper plates and disposable cutlery may be bad for the environment, but depending on the cost of water, may be easier on the pocketbook :eek :cry Unless said throw-aways have gotten ridiculous, too :frust I haven't bought any in years, so no idea.

:pray :pray :amen :amen

fl2007rn

The same brand and size dish washing detergent that's usually by far the cheapest that used to be $0.99-$1.19 crept up to $1.89-$2.19 over the last couple years Suddenly, it's $3.19 :eek :furious :rant :mad :wild :apostasy :frust :cry

The other brands are worse :eek

Paper plates and disposable cutlery may be bad for the environment, but depending on the cost of water, may be easier on the pocketbook :eek :cry Unless said throw-aways have gotten ridiculous, too :frust I haven't bought any in years, so no idea.

:pray :pray :amen :amen
Every item I purchase at the grocery store is at least $1 to $2 more than it was a couple of years ago. Luckily, I shop at the military commissary where it is a little cheaper. I can't imagine how families with little children are fairing. Luckily, I am retired and I cook all our meals. It seems like everytime we go out for dinner it is at least $60 by the time we tip, and that is drinking water and an entree.

I just bought 2 lb of shreaded cheese at the commissary and it was $ 8.58. I couldn't believe it. o_O

Ghoti Ichthus

Every item I purchase at the grocery store is at least $1 to $2 more than it was a couple of years ago. Luckily, I shop at the military commissary where it is a little cheaper. I can't imagine how families with little children are fairing. Luckily, I am retired and I cook all our meals. It seems like everytime we go out for dinner it is at least $60 by the time we tip, and that is drinking water and an entree.

I just bought 2 lb of shreaded cheese at the commissary and it was $ 8.58. I couldn't believe it. o_O

Little kids not as hard as teenagers. Especially young men with their hollow legs :lol

Kind of like much easier to deal with toddlers than frail elderly. Same problems, but you can't just put Dad down for a nap or coral him in a playpen :lol

cheeky200386

It is incredibly frustrating. I have to budget more a month for our family grocery bill. We thankfully found a local farmer's market with much lower prices than the Publix nearby. I'm hoping that will help us with grocery shopping. I'm not sure how much longer people will be able to hold out if prices continue to skyrocket.

alisani

It is incredibly frustrating. I have to budget more a month for our family grocery bill. We thankfully found a local farmer's market with much lower prices than the Publix nearby. I'm hoping that will help us with grocery shopping. I'm not sure how much longer people will be able to hold out if prices continue to skyrocket.
It is. We try to raise as much of our food here but it's more a smallholding than a full-fledged farm. Thankfully, we have an excellent butcher and I can buy most meat in bulk and either break it down myself or have him do it in exchange for prepared foods. But our township is starting to crack down on selling outside the farmer's markets, requiring costly permits for everything from having rain barrels (which must also be rented from the township) to permits for your goats to graze on your own land. They do enforce and the fines are stiff. A neighbor of ours got fined $350 for using a rain barrel not approved by the town council. It's truly a nickel and dime people to death scenario. Usually, I go to the store for pantry items and such. But now, due to other prohibitive measures and the poor farmers having to raise their prices at markets, I have only so many local options when it comes to my shopping. It just angers me to see people getting squeezed by these spendthrift politicians who can't seem to balance a budget and so, come up with more and more ways to leave people skint.

cheeky200386

It is. We try to raise as much of our food here but it's more a smallholding than a full-fledged farm. Thankfully, we have an excellent butcher and I can buy most meat in bulk and either break it down myself or have him do it in exchange for prepared foods. But our township is starting to crack down on selling outside the farmer's markets, requiring costly permits for everything from having rain barrels (which must also be rented from the township) to permits for your goats to graze on your own land. They do enforce and the fines are stiff. A neighbor of ours got fined $350 for using a rain barrel not approved by the town council. It's truly a nickel and dime people to death scenario. Usually, I go to the store for pantry items and such. But now, due to other prohibitive measures and the poor farmers having to raise their prices at markets, I have only so many local options when it comes to my shopping. It just angers me to see people getting squeezed by these spendthrift politicians who can't seem to balance a budget and so, come up with more and more ways to leave people skint.
Wow that's awful. All I can do is pray because I don't know what else can be done. I'm following my husband's lead and he feels sure we can survive at our new apartment. The rent is astronomically high at $2k a month for 2 bedrooms and 2 baths with nothing included. He's counting on my remote private practice income but that's very part time and could change if clients decide they want in-person sessions.

I'm just trusting the Lord to guide and provide for us. I am praying that if things get really bad, that I would not throw it in my husband's face but that I would have a gentle and meek spirit (hard for me, sadly). We're hoping that we'll be able to buy a house for a lot less a month next year. We'll see what God has in store for us.

I pray that you and all of our Christian Brethren will see the miracles God does to provide for us as he promises.

alisani

Wow that's awful. All I can do is pray because I don't know what else can be done. I'm following my husband's lead and he feels sure we can survive at our new apartment. The rent is astronomically high at $2k a month for 2 bedrooms and 2 baths with nothing included. He's counting on my remote private practice income but that's very part time and could change if clients decide they want in-person sessions.

I'm just trusting the Lord to guide and provide for us. I am praying that if things get really bad, that I would not throw it in my husband's face but that I would have a gentle and meek spirit (hard for me, sadly). We're hoping that we'll be able to buy a house for a lot less a month next year. We'll see what God has in store for us.

I pray that you and all of our Christian Brethren will see the miracles God does to provide for us as he promises.
Will be praying about your move and all the provision you will need. Sounds like there might be some good churches in that area?

Those rents sound crazy to me! Goodness! For that kind of money I want someone in to wash my dishes at least!

Ghoti Ichthus

I've simply stopped purchasing most snack foods. They're just too expensive. Usually when food prices go up I adjust by changing what we eat. Prices are getting so high that I'm just cutting out empty calorie food completely.
I've done the same here. I haven't stopped buying Dad's doughnuts, potato chips, or lunch meat, but I get organic/the least unhealthy he likes and will eat. At least this way, he can keep some independence and helps with morale/attitude making his own breakfast and lunch. And I still get good quality chocolate. Dad's 93 and to the extent possible, I try to give him what he likes so he eats healthily and enough.

Dinners reflect what's on sale far more often than they used to. And what looks good/fresh, because quality isn't consistent like it used to be :mad

Still, God gives us far more than plenty and it's good :smile

:thankyou JESUS!!! :thankyou

Last edited:

cheeky200386

Will be praying about your move and all the provision you will need. Sounds like there might be some good churches in that area?

Those rents sound crazy to me! Goodness! For that kind of money I want someone in to wash my dishes at least!
It is crazy and we both want far less than this rent. Definitely a lot of churches but I know faithful to the Word of God churches are hard to come by. There are many, what seem to be, social club churches around. All about what God can do for you type of messages and the activities. Barf!

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
We thankfully found a local farmer's market with much lower prices than the Publix nearby.
We have a *fruit stand* or tiny farmers market near us. The produce is high quality, but this year, the prices have sky rocketed.
The huge peaches are a beautiful gift from God and I could untold millions of them. But at $2.99/lb, they are $1/peach. We buy 2-3 at the time so there's no time for any to rot. Oh how I love good fresh fruit!!! That's something that I look forward to in the MK.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
We have a *fruit stand* or tiny farmers market near us. The produce is high quality, but this year, the prices have sky rocketed.
The huge peaches are a beautiful gift from God and I could untold millions of them. But at $2.99/lb, they are $1/peach. We buy 2-3 at the time so there's no time for any to rot. Oh how I love good fresh fruit!!! That's something that I look forward to in the MK.

Mainly because of where I live, I almost never eat fresh fruit anymore, but buy bags of dried fruit. Dried apricots, plums, pears, sometimes peaches/nectarines... "fresh" fruit up here is pretty expensive and it's a bummer when you bit into a peach that looks delicious but it isn't... so I rarely buy the fresh stuff for me. I do do buy bananas for the family, and apples when there's a sale price I can stomach...

That said, biting into a delicious peach or nectarine that is very good is one of the finest moments in this life.

Last edited:
Back