Building the Third Temple

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Building the Third Temple
By Nathan Jones

Tim Moore: Dr. Randall Price is a gifted archaeologist, a professor of Biblical Studies at Liberty University, and a frequent guest on our ministry’s television program Christ in Prophecy.

Nathan Jones: Dr. Price, I’m always excited when we have you on our Christ in Prophecy television program because you bring such an expertise on the subject of archaeology and Bible prophecy. Many of the papers that I write usually have your name in the footnotes somewhere.

In talking with many of our show’s guests over the years, they all say that Israel is God’s prophetic time clock. In other words, if we look to Israel then we can understand God’s end times timeline. As you are the expert on all things Israel, tell us, how do you see the inevitable construction of the Third Temple coming along?

Randall Price: Israel serves as what’s known as the “super sign” for the end times because when we look at all of the events that are going to happen in the future, Israel stands as the central platform for everything that is going to happen. Israel provides the stage so that every time we dance, so to speak, we should be looking to see how the Jewish people are being prepared for the return of the Messiah.

As they say, Jerusalem marks the center of the world, the Temple the center of Jerusalem, the Holy of Holies the center of the Temple, and the Ark of the Covenant the center of the Holy of Holies. So, God’s focus is there. Ezekiel 43 prophesies that the Messiah will ultimately return and fill the Temple again. He is going to rule from that place.

Such an event seems so far from reality today, considering the occupation of the Temple Mount. That tiny bit of land creates constant controversy, for Islam has been the dominant power in Jerusalem for 1,300 years.

In the last 30 years or so, since the Temple Movement came about in Israel, we have different groups preparing the Third Temple vessels halachically, which means “correct according to Jewish Law,” just as they used to be in the Second Temple, and not just for show, but for actual use. Blueprints have been made for the Temple — functioning blueprints — that have been around for some time.

Concerning the materials that will be used to build the Temple, people have been wondering where the Temple Institute is going to get these resources. Fortunately, Jerusalem is built on limestone and so there are quarries all over the area. You can see Second Temple period quarries, but there are also other era quarries.

Then there’s the money. There are those who claim with certainty that money is not a problem for they have enough people donating. The Temple Institute claims they have one donor who could finance the entire building of the Temple all by himself if needed. So, there is no problem when it comes to acquiring financial resources and building supplies.

Nathan Jones: The Kohanim have started training as well, right?

Randall Price: Yes, the Kohanim have been training for quite some time. These are the priests who attend their priestly schools such as the Torat Kohanim and the Temple Institute trains some as well. There’s also a Davidic School of Music. They are preparing both the Leviim and the Kohanim for services. All of this has taken a lot of time. Candidates for the high priest’s position have been offered, and they even have one guy now who seems a good contender.

The Sanhedrin has been revived as well. This is the same Sanhedrin body that presided over the laws of the Temple. They haven’t existed for centuries because there hasn’t been a functioning Temple, but now in preparation for the hope that there will soon be one, a new Sanhedrin has been convening.

Archaeologists have identified the right spot to build an altar outside of where they will rebuild the Temple. A red heifer is needed for the purification rites of the Temple. So many things have to be done in order to create a fully functional Third Temple.

The very fact that these preparations are not only being discussed but that the Jewish people are actually preparing these things is historic. The Jews are even offering sacrifices, though not on the Temple Mount, but near the Temple Mount. All of these things related to restarting the Temple worship that has been happening tell us that we are getting closer all the time to the return of the Messiah.

Tim Moore: But, to be clear, we as Christian believers do not look to the rebuilding of the Temple as the next prophetic sign, though they are part of end times events? We instead are looking for Jesus Christ, because only during the Tribulation after the Rapture of the Church do any of these events related to the rebuilding of the Temple come to pass? People will focus on finding a red heifer or the collection of building blocks, but our emphasis is that while these signs are happening we still should not be distracted in looking for Jesus Christ?

Randall Price: Right, absolutely! We are looking at the signs of the end times, but the Rapture is a signless event, for it is going to happen on God’s timetable. Nothing proceeds the Rapture. We know from the Bible that it is going to happen.

When you and your family enjoy Thanksgiving, you know that Christmas is coming right around the corner. Some people put Christmas decorations out on Thanksgiving, but even if they didn’t, you would still know that Christmas is coming because Thanksgiving was here and Christmas follows that holiday. This whole holiday illustration simply means that if we are seeing these events related to Judaism that are going to be part of the Tribulation period happening, and that Jesus Christ comes for His Church before that period, then how near must we be to the time of Christ’s coming?

Nathan Jones: People ask our ministry if they should give money towards the building Third Temple, but isn’t technically the Third Temple the Antichrist’s Temple because he will desecrate it halfway through the Tribulation? The Millennial Temple that follows is actually Christ’s Temple, is that correct?

Randall Price: Well, I wouldn’t call the Third Temple the Antichrist’s Temple just because he desecrates it. It’s still called the Temple of God in 2 Thessalonians 2:4, so because of this passage, the Third Temple still remains a legitimate Temple, just that the Antichrist desecrates it at the midpoint of the Tribulation. After all, you cannot desecrate something that is not already considered holy.

However, I wouldn’t suggest that people give money to this cause as this is strictly a Jewish concern. The people who take that money are opposed to our brothers and sisters who are Jews who believe in Jesus, and they persecute them. I don’t want to support people who turn around and use my money as ammunition against our own brethren. We can support the building of the Third Temple in terms of understanding that it moves end times events in God’s direction.

https://www.raptureforums.com/end-times/building-the-third-temple/

Xenosjeff

I know the Jews will see the third temple as valid but until Jesus dedicates it I'm not getting on that bandwagon. If prophecy says it's blessed and fully empowered again to function as the ritual requirement of Judaism I must have missed that somehow.

Jeff

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
The Jews will finally get to build their temple which will be desecrated half way through the tribulation. Neither event will the church see, we will be Home.

What does the Bible tell us about the timing of when the 3rd temple construction will be started?

I don't think the Bible tells us that. It does tell us that there will be a 3rd temple during Tribulation. Here's a bit from Lamb and Lion Ministries:

The Bible clearly teaches that a new temple — which will be called The Third Temple — will be built in the future. The First Temple was the one that Solomon built and which was destroyed in 586 BC. The Second Temple (516 BC to 70 AD) was built after the Jews returned from Babylonian captivity. The platform on which it sat was greatly expanded and beautified by King Herod, as was the temple itself, but since the sacrifices were never stopped during this renovation and expansion, the new temple was still considered to be The Second Temple.

The Third Temple will exist during the Great Tribulation. Daniel refers to this temple when he says that “the prince who is to come” (the Antichrist) will enter it and stop the sacrifices in the middle of the Tribulation (Daniel 9:27). The Apostle Paul mentions it when he declares that the “man of lawlessness” will profane the temple by entering it and declaring himself to be God (2 Thessalonians 2:3-4). The Third Temple is also mentioned in the book of Revelation when John is told to measure it — a symbolic way of telling him to assess its spiritual condition (Revelation 11:1-2).

This raises the question as to precisely when the temple will be rebuilt. The Bible does not reveal the answer to this question. All it says for certain is that the temple will be in existence when the Antichrist reveals himself (2 Thessalonians 2:3-4), and that will be in the middle of the Tribulation (Daniel 9:27). Since this will be only three and a half years into the Tribulation, many have concluded that the temple will likely be rebuilt before the Tribulation begins, because how could such a magnificent building be constructed in such a short period of time?

But this conclusion overlooks the fact that the temple can be literally resurrected overnight! That’s because the Jews plan to erect a tent temple like the Tabernacle of Moses, and they are ready to do so at any moment. Everything has been prepared. Once this temporary temple is put up, they will resume the sacrifices and then start building a more permanent structure around and above the temporary one.

https://christinprophecy.org/articles/the-third-temple/#:~:text=This raises the question as to precisely when,in the middle of the Tribulation (Daniel 9:27).

It's possible the Church could see the 3rd temple construction start, might even see it completed. We really don't know the timeline for its construction.

Last edited:

Andy C

What does the Bible tell us about the timing of when the 3rd temple construction will be started?

I don't think the Bible tells us that. It does tell us that there will be a 3rd temple during Tribulation. Here's a bit from Lamb and Lion Ministries:

The Bible clearly teaches that a new temple — which will be called The Third Temple — will be built in the future. The First Temple was the one that Solomon built and which was destroyed in 586 BC. The Second Temple (516 BC to 70 AD) was built after the Jews returned from Babylonian captivity. The platform on which it sat was greatly expanded and beautified by King Herod, as was the temple itself, but since the sacrifices were never stopped during this renovation and expansion, the new temple was still considered to be The Second Temple.

The Third Temple will exist during the Great Tribulation. Daniel refers to this temple when he says that “the prince who is to come” (the Antichrist) will enter it and stop the sacrifices in the middle of the Tribulation (Daniel 9:27). The Apostle Paul mentions it when he declares that the “man of lawlessness” will profane the temple by entering it and declaring himself to be God (2 Thessalonians 2:3-4). The Third Temple is also mentioned in the book of Revelation when John is told to measure it — a symbolic way of telling him to assess its spiritual condition (Revelation 11:1-2).

This raises the question as to precisely when the temple will be rebuilt. The Bible does not reveal the answer to this question. All it says for certain is that the temple will be in existence when the Antichrist reveals himself (2 Thessalonians 2:3-4), and that will be in the middle of the Tribulation (Daniel 9:27). Since this will be only three and a half years into the Tribulation, many have concluded that the temple will likely be rebuilt before the Tribulation begins, because how could such a magnificent building be constructed in such a short period of time?

But this conclusion overlooks the fact that the temple can be literally resurrected overnight! That’s because the Jews plan to erect a tent temple like the Tabernacle of Moses, and they are ready to do so at any moment. Everything has been prepared. Once this temporary temple is put up, they will resume the sacrifices and then start building a more permanent structure around and above the temporary one.

https://christinprophecy.org/articles/the-third-temple/#:~:text=This raises the question as to precisely when,in the middle of the Tribulation (Daniel 9:27).

It's possible the Church could see the 3rd temple construction start, might even see it completed. We really don't know the timeline for its construction.
Perhaps. Can you think of any scenario that would allow the Jews to build a temple without the entire muslim world waging war?
Speculation on my part, but its more likely part of the agreements in the 7 year treaty the AC will affirm with the Jews, allows the Jews to finally build their temple.

Andy C

To my knowledge, the only mention in the bible of the next temple is during the 7 year tribulation.

From Jack

Question: I truly believe we are in the last days. There is so much evidence of it in society’s ways and just how everything is playing out. I have a question, however. I realize that Israel is getting closer and closer to being ready to rebuild the Temple. Could it be rebuilt, in your estimation, within a few years?

Answer: Only two things have to happen. Israel has to want a Temple and the world has to agree. I believe both these conditions will be met in the aftermath of the Battle of Ezekiel 38. The Lord’s miraculous victory in that battle will serve the purpose of opening Israel’s eyes to His presence in their national life and will prompt their desire for a Temple.

At that time the anti-Christ will confirm a covenant of peace that will include a provision for a Temple. Once those things happen construction will proceed quickly. Much of the work that doesn’t involve the actual building has been done and more is being completed each day.

Some say the building is being put together in parts and will only need to be assembled, but I haven’t seen any evidence of that. What I do know is that 3.5 years after the go ahead is given, the anti-Christ will stand in the Holy Place and declare himself to be God (Daniel 9:27, 2 Thes. 2:4) causing the Abomination of Desolation and kicking off the Great Tribulation.https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/building-israels-temple/

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/building-israels-temple/

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Perhaps. Can you think of any scenario that would allow the Jews to build a temple without the entire muslim world waging war?
Speculation on my part, but its more likely part of the agreements in the 7 year treaty the AC will affirm with the Jews, allows the Jews to finally build their temple.

When it is time, whenever that might be, any obstacles will be overcome.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
From Jack

There's a lot of speculation in Jack's response, even in one of his two conditions, 2) the world will have to agree. Will it? The bottom line is it'll be rebuilt when it is, and there is nothing written that would preclude the Church from seeing the start or the completion of the rebuilding, at least nothing that I've come across. That doesn't mean the Church will see it, it just means that any claim about whether or not the Church will be here to see it is just speculation and should be stated as such.

Andy C

There's a lot of speculation in Jack's response, even in one of his two conditions, 2) the world will have to agree. Will it? The bottom line is it'll be rebuilt when it is, and there is nothing written that would preclude the Church from seeing the start or the completion of the rebuilding, at least nothing that I've come across. That doesn't mean the Church will see it, it just means that any claim about whether or not the Church will be here to see it is just speculation and should be stated as such.
Can you point out any scripture that even hints the next temple will be built prior to the tribulation?

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Can you point out any scripture that even hints the next temple will be built prior to the tribulation?

That's a good question. I haven't found anything in the Bible that tells us the timeline of when the 3rd temple will be built. It will be in place at the mid-point of Tribulation for sure, the Bible does tell us that. So it's possible Israel could begin laying the foundation tomorrow if they found the national resolve to do so.

Andy C

That's a good question. I haven't found anything in the Bible that tells us the timeline of when the 3rd temple will be built. It will be in place at the mid-point of Tribulation for sure, the Bible does tell us that. So it's possible Israel could begin laying the foundation tomorrow if they found the national resolve to do so.
We cant say when with 100 percent accuracy, which is true when trying to interpret most of the bibles prophetic verses.

I will hold fast to my belief that there is no possible scenario allowing them to build their temple now - it would cause a global or at least local war.

Its hard to imagine anytime soon why Israel would agree to any treaty with the AC, unless they are given some serious concessions. With the AC guaranteeing them the right to finally build their temple as part of the treaty, this could easily, and most likely be the cause for them agreeing to a treaty. JMHO.

daygo

In my opinion the muslim world will be completly gone for when the jews build the 3rd temple via the ezekiel war to me it just makes sense.

Andy C

In my opinion the muslim world will be completly gone for when the jews build the 3rd temple via the ezekiel war to me it just makes sense.
Agree, which most likely is after that “war”, and into the tribulation.

katt

The Psalm 83 war..the Ezekiel 35 war..which I really believe is the same war as Psalm 83..The Jews are stubborn and stiff necked..not my words..but God himself said that's why he chose them..or in spite of this he chose them..or words to that effect..they may just say..we don't care what anybody says..our country, our rules..we want our Temple..and build it..this could infuriate the Muslims so much that it could instigate Psalm 83...then there's Demascus in Isaiah 17..or the fulfillment of Jeremiah's prophecy..and then there's Obediah's prophecy to consider..there are many ways and reasons we could see the breaking of ground for The Temple..as for me.. anything that has to do with the Tribulation that we see starting to happen now..excites me and makes me look up..because it means the rapture is much closer than any of us ever thought..

katt

It is taught that after the Ezekiel 38 war..The AC gives permission to Israel to build The Temple.. I've never believed this teaching....nowhere in The Bible does it say that..or even imply it....and after both the Psalm 83 and Ezekiel 38 wars I'm sure the Israelies will be able to build anything they want any where in Israel they want and do so while calling the rest of the world brother using the Japanese sign language symbol for said word to do so... however I do believe they won't wait that long..if they don't build it before the Psalm 83 war.. I'm sure they certainly will after that war...

Back