Prices Already Rising

TimeWarpWife

I've noticed a lot more empty shelves in all of the grocery stores I go to. Granted, most of the time it's early afternoon when I shop, so maybe that's a part of it. I went to Target last week to get an eyebrow gel that's hard to find everywhere else and was shocked at all of the empty sections in the makeup department. The "makeup accessories" cart, which is relatively large, was completely empty. Our local Giant had hamburger on sale for $2.77 lb. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I told dh I never thought I'd see the day when $2.77 lb. was cheap for hamburger. I remember back in the late 70s Carter inflation fiasco when my parents were paying .99 lb. for hamburger and thought it was highway robbery to be charged that much.

Last edited:

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I've noticed a lot more empty shelves in all of the grocery stores I go to. Granted, most of the time it's early afternoon when I shop, so maybe that's a part of it.

Some stores are stocked when they open in the morning, but don't restock much throughout the day dues to lack of employees and/or lack of products coming in on trucks to put on the shelves and/or trying to make sure there's stuff on the shelves every day. When the store closes at night, having bare and sparsely stocked shelves makes it easier to carry out wuhan virus cleaning and sanitizing protocols, too.

One good thing about slowing down stocking, at least in the service meat case, is that stuff is fresher because not as much is cut at once. Stuff is cut as needed throughout the day :smile

I miss 24-hour grocery stores :cry and the later hours of the non-24-hour stores :cry

Even most of the 24-hour gas stations/convenience stores are no longer 24/7 :cry

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
My husband bought 2 salads for our supper last night from a local sub shop. For me a salad with tuna, a chefs salad for him....$27!!!!!!!!
It should have been under 20. Actually, the online menu he ordered from had them listed for $8.95.....that's the second time we have ordered from menus with outdated prices and got a surprise when the total was rung up. We can not pay $30 for 2 salads.
$30 use to buy us 2 buffets at the local bbq houses with shrimp and other sea food included.

Sometimes it pays to shop around a little. Yesterday I found the same dog food at a local feed store, just repackaged and a different brand, basically with the same ingredients.

They are selling it in the 50lb bag for $32, which is less than what I was paying for the 35lb bag. The guy had a bag that had busted and he gave me some for my dog to try. I told him I didn’t want to buy 50lbs. and my dog not like it.

I bought it home and my dog seems to like it. Now I have to get a bigger storage container.

mattfivefour

Our food bills have gone up dramatically. We like to eat a lot of chicken. It's healthy and has been relatively inexpensive (about 2.99 to 3.99 a pound for boneless, skinless breasts.) But last night at a major chain grocery store I had to pay $10.99 a pound! Dark red kidney beans that used to cost 49 cents a can are now priced at 82 cents. Rice, sugar, flour, everything has gone way up in just the past few months. And finding bare store shelves is increasingly common. The policies of this government are making life increasingly hard for us lower income people. But I bet the politicians (of both parties) --who live off the taxes we pay-- don't feel it much, if at all. I pray enough Americans see what is happening and why, and do something about it this November, and again two years from then. We need to see term limits for ALL offices and eliminate the professional politician class, along with their high incomes and privileges. The founding fathers foresaw a nation in which ordinary working men and women who cared for their nation and their neighbors would go to Washington to serve, at no greater income than they already enjoyed, and then return to their farms and businesses and jobs when they had finished their contribution to the nation and the people who elected them. But look at the professional, entitled elite that we the people have permitted to develop ... on our own dime!

It's realizations such as the above that have helped me learn that, while we should try to improve life in our country through informed decisions at the ballot box and by working for the welfare of where we live, nevertheless God alone can ensure a prosperous nation ... and that only as the nation honors Him.

I may do what I can here on earth as far as doing what I can to benefit society --by caring, by working, by speaking out against injustice and greed, and acting for the broken, the hurting, and the marginalized-- but it is only temporal and shallow. Only by serving God, honoring Him, studying and sharing His Word, lifting Jesus up to others in word and deed, allowing the Holy Spirit to work through us, can we actually contribute in a meaningful way, to the people of this nation and this world. Nothing is more important than proclaiming the gospel and making disciples of Jesus Christ. When the last Gentile is brought into the Kingdom, that work will be complete and the Rapture will take place.

No matter how insignificant we may feel ourselves to be, no matter how little we think we can do, we should do it for God. Every person has a role and we should not worry about how tiny or inconsequential it may be: God is the One in control and He is the One who will work through us. Even simply leaving tracts in various places has an impact for the Kingdom. It was a simple tract that I stumbled on in a rented van that prepared my heart to receive the gospel and be saved a few months later. There is nothing you can do that is too little. And if you cannot think of anything, ask God to show you something; I guarantee that He will.

Sorry for the thread hijack. But we always need to remember in the midst of economic or political turmoil that our focus must be on the Kingdom of God and, therefore, on Jesus Christ and His Gospel.

Lovin Jesus

I've learned to shop at the dollar stores for groceries. Even though Dollar Tree raised the price that launched their business years ago for everything at $1.00, they now have all items at $1.25, but still is a bargain in comparison to leading major chain stores. What I look for is that I don't get scammed by the price and yet has reduction of product. The shrinkation is rampant, less product for the same "low price" is not a bargain. Using wise shopping with a watchful eye, you can still get bargains but may have to change the brand name you are used to and may need to go to different stores to shop. If everything is local you won't use much gas by going to different stores

alisani

Our supply here isn't very short but we have inconsistent stock around certain key items. What we are dealing with more are the rising food costs. Like Adrian mentioned, even the items like canned beans, etc. are rising. Used to be I could buy a 15 oz can of lima beans for .69 cents. Now, an 8.5 oz can is .98 cents. Sometimes I wonder if some stores have stock in the back but leave their shelves bare so as to charge more?

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
I went to the Dollar Tree yesterday for some plastic Easter eggs ( made in China, I am sure). Some of the shelves there were bare! My neice had warned me that their stock was low.
The Dollar Tree now has aisles that cost $3-$5 per item.
Flower seeds from there are the common old fashion flowers mostly. Seeds are cheap and grow very well.

Batman

Everything is up in price and it's not just 7 or 8% increases. America is now suffering a huge inflation crisis but the news media is still running a PR agenda that Trump should be punished and the govt rabid ragers are completely out of control and out of touch with reality.

cheeky200386

Our food bills have gone up dramatically. We like to eat a lot of chicken. It's healthy and has been relatively inexpensive (about 2.99 to 3.99 a pound for boneless, skinless breasts.) But last night at a major chain grocery store I had to pay $10.99 a pound! Dark red kidney beans that used to cost 49 cents a can are now priced at 82 cents. Rice, sugar, flour, everything has gone way up in just the past few months. And finding bare store shelves is increasingly common. The policies of this government are making life increasingly hard for us lower income people. But I bet the politicians (of both parties) --who live off the taxes we pay-- don't feel it much, if at all. I pray enough Americans see what is happening and why, and do something about it this November, and again two years from then. We need to see term limits for ALL offices and eliminate the professional politician class, along with their high incomes and privileges. The founding fathers foresaw a nation in which ordinary working men and women who cared for their nation and their neighbors would go to Washington to serve, at no greater income than they already enjoyed, and then return to their farms and businesses and jobs when they had finished their contribution to the nation and the people who elected them. But look at the professional, entitled elite that we the people have permitted to develop ... on our own dime!

It's realizations such as the above that have helped me learn that, while we should try to improve life in our country through informed decisions at the ballot box and by working for the welfare of where we live, nevertheless God alone can ensure a prosperous nation ... and that only as the nation honors Him.

I may do what I can here on earth as far as doing what I can to benefit society --by caring, by working, by speaking out against injustice and greed, and acting for the broken, the hurting, and the marginalized-- but it is only temporal and shallow. Only by serving God, honoring Him, studying and sharing His Word, lifting Jesus up to others in word and deed, allowing the Holy Spirit to work through us, can we actually contribute in a meaningful way, to the people of this nation and this world. Nothing is more important than proclaiming the gospel and making disciples of Jesus Christ. When the last Gentile is brought into the Kingdom, that work will be complete and the Rapture will take place.

No matter how insignificant we may feel ourselves to be, no matter how little we think we can do, we should do it for God. Every person has a role and we should not worry about how tiny or inconsequential it may be: God is the One in control and He is the One who will work through us. Even simply leaving tracts in various places has an impact for the Kingdom. It was a simple tract that I stumbled on in a rented van that prepared my heart to receive the gospel and be saved a few months later. There is nothing you can do that is too little. And if you cannot think of anything, ask God to show you something; I guarantee that He will.

Sorry for the thread hijack. But we always need to remember in the midst of economic or political turmoil that our focus must be on the Kingdom of God and, therefore, on Jesus Christ and His Gospel.
AMEN! My pastor always says, "America doesn't need a political revival. America needs a spiritual revival. America needs Jesus!"

Ghoti Ichthus

I just made a discovery about economics that should ease everyone’s mind and in fact will cause nationwide celebration. It’s called the wage price spiral and could lead to RECESS! I am still studying the Wikipedia article but it seems that it’s like the rotors of a helicopter that go faster and faster and prices seem to be rising out of control. But - wages go up too because workers tell their bosses that they need higher wages so they can afford the higher prices. I guess that’s why they call it recess because wages can soar above price hikes while workers just relax and play outside until they get the good news about their raises. I am still reading the article while trying to get the happy news out to everyone so be patient for a minute………………………………………………hey wait a minute…….I may have incorrectly entered the definition I wanted………I googled “swing slide playground helicopter wage recess” but in looking back at the article title it says RECESSION. OK this sounds like an easing of anxiety or My Pillow technology so hold on……….sorry……….…………………………………………………um…………..………..never mind.

Rather than the proverbial oscillating fan with the rotating blades perpendicular to the ground, the rotating blades on an oscillating helicopter are parallel, allowing more to be spread in a much greater area in a much shorter time :eek Should said helicopter autorotate . . . :eek :eek :eek

ChildofLight

Prices will now shoot up since the invasion of Ukraine.
I’ve been saving the grocery receipts, so it’ll be interesting to look back in a few weeks what the prices become.

Won’t be a lot of food with droughts or maybe some places floods. The biggest problem is the cost of diesel, oil and fertilizers. That doesn’t even take into consideration the cost and cost of making those huge tires on those huge tractors and also the cost of parts for those tractors and implements that are going to be difficult to obtain. Then there is cost for trucking all the grain and products just to the granaries and factories. That doesn’t even include to distribution yet.

Guess I’ll be going on The Great Depression diet. Staying positive, looking back at old photos of my parents how thin but fit they were looking back then. I imagined they worried a lot because still needed money for certain things especially medical and medicine. And now we have the dreaded outrageous taxes.

Ghoti Ichthus

Almost everything in the service meat case has gone up $1 -$6 a pound in the last week or so :furious :rant :mad :wild
Pre-packed stuff stock levels are lower than usual :frown Didn't look at prices, but I suspect as stock gets replenished on incoming trucks, prices will go up :frown

Produce prices were noticeably higher :mad

Lines at the cash registers were shorter and people had fewer items in their carts :frown

:pray :pray :amen :amen

Back