Prices Already Rising

ChildofLight

Have you looked at the price of beans and potatoes? I'm paying more for potatoes today than I was for ground beef 10 years ago.
Yep. Unfortunately everything is going up. Since I have a garden, I’m good on potatoes and eggs. When I bought beans, I bought a lot of big bags. Considering there’s only 2 of us, those beans should last us a long time. LOL Not sure if that’s good are bad as after a while there’s only so many ways beans can be dressed up affordably.

Abed_nego2

Servant of the Lord
Prices have been going up since the pandemic began, and I suppose they will continue to up with the demoncrats in office. Luckily, I only cook for my husband and myself and I try to buy things on sale or use a coupon. Gas is about $2.15 but I suppose that will increase too. My husband and I are also handy with home repair and building projects so that is a plus.
I agree. Our gas in the southern tier of NY is $3.11 a gallon.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Have you looked at the price of beans and potatoes? I'm paying more for potatoes today than I was for ground beef 10 years ago.

When I was a kid, ground beef at the National T was $0.15 a pound, and the "good stuff" (ground chuck) was $0.19 a pound. My parents were outraged when prices went up to $0.19 and $0.25 a pound, respectively, and then ground chuck went up to $0.29 a pound :eek Red Owl meat (same prices I think) was better, but the store was a lot farther away. Lund's was a lot better, but prices were higher. Back then, ALL the beef was grass-fed and NO grain finishing because cows ate grass. If cows were waiting to be slaughtered, they were given water and old hay or grass clippings. The stock yards in St. Paul really, really stunk :eek

Back then, a really big onion was $0.10 or less, depending on the season. Peaches and pears were $0.49 to $0.89 for a mounded bucket at the Fruit Market so we went there for most fruit and veggies. Most of the produce (except citrus) was local, and the Fruit Market closed after harvest was finished, so winter was expensive.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Back then, ALL the beef was grass-fed and NO grain finishing because cows ate grass.

What time period are we talking about? When I was fairly young I remember seeing huge numbers of beef cattle in California somewhereabouts obviously being grain fed as there were feeding troughs all over the place and no grass to be seen anywhere. I wish I could remember whereabouts that was... It's someplace we used to drive by... maybe around 50 years ago or so.

Xenosjeff

Diesel is $3.77 per gallon in Idaho. I hate this. We went from the leaders position in the energy market to shooting our self in the foot in 7 months. All of this is a fake market restriction designed to force us into a Tesla.
Explain this to a trucker or a farmer who just saw their budget and margins go red. These out of touch fools are going to get real hungry once the fan starts it’s circular fertilizer distribution.

Jeff

Ghoti Ichthus

Diesel is $3.77 per gallon in Idaho. I hate this. We went from the leaders position in the energy market to shooting our self in the foot in 7 months. All of this is a fake market restriction designed to force us into a Tesla.
Explain this to a trucker or a farmer who just saw their budget and margins go red. These out of touch fools are going to get real hungry once the fan starts it’s circular fertilizer distribution.

Jeff

TPTB won't go hungry. It'll be the middle and working classes. And the poor when EBT dies.

Ghoti Ichthus

Let me get this straight - we had just achieved energy independence under Trump. So Biden kills the Keystone Pipeline as his first act, advocates for the Green New Deal, and acts like he is unsure where he is. Isn't there a verse about dogs returning to their own vomit?
Key word: vomit.

The word for the emoticon on the board is puke

:puke

Last edited:

TimeWarpWife

In less than a week, the pack of bacon I purchased last week increased in price by 40 cents. Since May, the price has increased by $2.40 a pack. :faint2 It was always a bit more expensive than regular bacon, but it was so tasty that I was willing to pay a little more for it as a treat every now and then. Now, I can't afford it anymore.

pixelpusher

I got a 12 oz pack of bacon last night - on sale - for only $7.99. Almost passed it up, but I wanted a BLT. It’s getting crazy tho. $25 or so for two thin ribeyes. The price of tomatoes makes me really regret not planting some this spring. We’ll definitely be having a garden patch again next summer if we can afford seeds and dirt by then.

ChildofLight

I got a 12 oz pack of bacon last night - on sale - for only $7.99. Almost passed it up, but I wanted a BLT. It’s getting crazy tho. $25 or so for two thin ribeyes. The price of tomatoes makes me really regret not planting some this spring. We’ll definitely be having a garden patch again next summer if we can afford seeds and dirt by then.
And nothing better than a real tomatoe. The ones in the store have no taste whatsoever.

Batman

Pork products seem to be about 50% higher over the last 6 months, and beef... cuts range from anywhere around 50% to 200% higher over the last 6 months.

I guess one way to turn us all into grass eaters (no offense meant, @Ghoti Ichthus, is to price us out of the meat market...
During my fairly long-term job hunting there was 1 massive Missouri pork producer that only recently told me they were VERY busy but having lots of trouble keeping up due to 30% or more missing workers and there was no end in sight b/c no one around here wanted a job. I don't think that's necessarily anything relational to higher prices but it is another big concern going on all over the country and likely overseas. What a mess.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pork products seem to be about 50% higher over the last 6 months, and beef... cuts range from anywhere around 50% to 200% higher over the last 6 months.

I guess one way to turn us all into grass eaters (no offense meant, @Ghoti Ichthus, is to price us out of the meat market...

Pork used to regularly go on sale, so even without raising "regular" prices, the cost has gone up :frown

Ditto, grass-fed lamb :frown

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member
During my fairly long-term job hunting there was 1 massive Missouri pork producer that only recently told me they were VERY busy but having lots of trouble keeping up due to 30% or more missing workers and there was no end in sight b/c no one around here wanted a job. I don't think that's necessarily anything relational to higher prices but it is another big concern going on all over the country and likely overseas. What a mess.
Just think what the rapture would do to producers if it happened soon. I'm betting that Christians have disproportionately held their jobs during this time in greater numbers than the unsaved. It all feels like a house of cards waiting for that final "puff" to make it collapse.

Back