Is common sense a Biblical concept?

Batman

Interesting question about whether it's Biblical. On first thoughts I don't think it is, unless commonsense is further or deeper defined in other terms that are Biblically required. Interestingly as well, I went through a very large safety/environmental leader training with Pepsi a few years back and they repeated the phrase and thoughts that "commonsense is not that common". I probably still have a copy of it but don't recall their particular point(s) from the phrase at this moment.

Brother Albert R.

Jesus loved us and said we should Love our enemies
Is it even Biblical?
The bible will definitely give you the wisdom to exercise common sense. If you read the book of Proverbs you will start to understand what wisdom looks like and that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. I equate common sense as the adult way to think. I hope this helps.
God bless
Brother Albert

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
I was raised in an abusive, neglectful environment. I don't have "common sense" unless I learn something. I feel common sense is a tool for ppl to judge others with...a pride thing. Is it even Biblical? Ty

I'm sorry for your tough background. That's a background that not many people would be able to learn common sense as one is only trying to just survive. Therefor, to judge a person or hold a supposed lack of common sense over someone is an unrealistic expectation and in general is unChristlike and unloving.

2 Peter 3:18 talks of one growing in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ, that takes time....sometimes years:

But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen.

Colossians 2 speaks about how in Christ are hidden treasures of wisdom and knowledge:

My goal is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. vs2-3

1 John 2:13-14 acknowledges that those in Christ are at different maturity levels in their growth in Christ and yet, they are all precious no matter where they are at, so don't let the enemy lie to to you that you are less than because of where you are at in growth. My children were precious as babies, toddlers, children, teenagers, etc.

I am writing to you, fathers,
because you know him who is from the beginning.
I am writing to you, young men,
because you have overcome the evil one.

I write to you, dear children,
because you know the Father.
I write to you, fathers,
because you know him who is from the beginning.
I write to you, young men,
because you are strong,
and the word of God lives in you,
and you have overcome the evil one.

Welcome to RF and I'm glad you feel comfortable to ask questions. :)

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
While not exactly the same thing as common sense, the Bible does say all people have an intuitive understanding of God's laws

Romans 2 14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.)

Those who lose their moral understanding are the people that have hardened their own hearts (or seared their own consciences) or who God has given over to what's called a "retrobate mind." Essentially when someone desires to be as separated from God as possible, He'll grant that desire.

When I hear common sense, it's normally acting in a way we might refer to as prudent. EG "It's common sense to not leave your trash out when you're camping, or you might attract bears." Once you learn it, it *feels* like common sense to the point most people forget they had to learn it in the first place. But no one is born knowing leaving food out attracts bears. The things we consider common sense might also be defined as "things all parents should teach their children."

So whereas there is a common moral law God has written on the hearts of mankind that sinful people actively suppress, wisdom or prudence are things that have to be learned or built up. I think we also have to do a good bit of learning about grace once we're saved.

I'll second @Brother Albert R. That proverbs is a good place to look for wisdom.

God also gave us this amazing promise through James that anyone who asks for wisdom will recieve it

James 1: 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.

So don't fall into the trap of thinking that because of your upbringing you've been permanently stunted in some way.

Paul also tells us in 1 Corinthians 1 26 Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28 God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, 29 so that no one may boast before him. 30 It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. 31 Therefore, as it is written: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.”

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
The bible will definitely give you the wisdom to exercise common sense. If you read the book of Proverbs you will start to understand what wisdom looks like and that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. I equate common sense as the adult way to think. I hope this helps.
God bless
Brother Albert
I agree that Gods word gives us knowledge and wisdom to apply wisely! Common sense is basically making good decisions(Gods way of doing things compared to worldly ways)!
While not exactly the same thing as common sense, the Bible does say all people have an intuitive understanding of God's laws

Romans 2 14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.)

Those who lose their moral understanding are the people that have hardened their own hearts (or seared their own consciences) or who God has given over to what's called a "retrobate mind." Essentially when someone desires to be as separated from God as possible, He'll grant that desire.

When I hear common sense, it's normally acting in a way we might refer to as prudent. EG "It's common sense to not leave your trash out when you're camping, or you might attract bears." Once you learn it, it *feels* like common sense to the point most people forget they had to learn it in the first place. But no one is born knowing leaving food out attracts bears. The things we consider common sense might also be defined as "things all parents should teach their children."

So whereas there is a common moral law God has written on the hearts of mankind that sinful people actively suppress, wisdom or prudence are things that have to be learned or built up. I think we also have to do a good bit of learning about grace once we're saved.

I'll second @Brother Albert R. That proverbs is a good place to look for wisdom.

God also gave us this amazing promise through James that anyone who asks for wisdom will recieve it

James 1: 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.

So don't fall into the trap of thinking that because of your upbringing you've been permanently stunted in some way.

Paul also tells us in 1 Corinthians 1 26 Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28 God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, 29 so that no one may boast before him. 30 It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. 31 Therefore, as it is written: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.”
I agree with the scriptures you have posted to explain common sense according to Gods way! :thumbup :thumbup

Amethyst

Angie ... †
When I hear common sense, it's normally acting in a way we might refer to as prudent. EG "It's common sense to not leave your trash out when you're camping, or you might attract bears." Once you learn it, it *feels* like common sense to the point most people forget they had to learn it in the first place. But no one is born knowing leaving food out attracts bears.

An uneducated father with his educated son went on a camping trip. They set-up their tent and fell asleep.
Some hours later, the father woke up his son.

Father- Look up to the sky and tell me what you see.
Son- I see millions of stars.
Father- And what does that tell you?
Son- Astronomically, it tells that there are millions of galaxies and planets.
Father slaps the son hard and says- "Idiot, someone has stolen our tent"

MORAL:
Too much education can spoil our common sense.

@upjoke

Brother Albert R.

I was raised in an abusive, neglectful environment. I don't have "common sense" unless I learn something. I feel common sense is a tool for ppl to judge others with...a pride thing. Is it even Biblical? Ty
Hello Jojo,
I appreciate your honest evaluation of the term common sense. I hope you do not feel that when people use this term that they are always prideful, my mother often used this term while I was growing up and I never understood what it meant until my adult life. I think Forrest Gump put it best when he said "stupid is as stupid does", a person is defined as being stupid by the course of actions he takes in life. While that saying is not an exact parallel to using our "common sense" it is along the same line of thinking. A stupid person does not think much before he takes action, and neither does a person who lacks "common sense" and does not stop and evaluate what he knows to be true, that all people would agree with (common to all people "common sense), such as "looking before you leap".
I hope this helps as well,
God bless you Jojo and thanks for asking this very interesting question,
Brother Albert
ps what does ppl stand for in your post? people?

Last edited:

Jojo4124

Hello Jojo,
I appreciate your honest evaluation of the term common sense. I hope you do not feel that when people use this term that they are always prideful, my mother often used this term while I was growing up and I never understood what it meant until my adult life. I think Forrest Gump put it best when he said "stupid is as stupid does", a person is defined as being stupid by the course of actions he takes in life. While that saying is not an exact parallel to using our "common sense" it is along the same line of thinking. A stupid person does not think much before he takes action, and neither does a person who lacks "common sense" and does not stop and evaluate what he knows to be true, that all people would agree with (common to all people "common sense), such as "looking before you leap".
I hope this helps as well,
God bless you Jojo and thanks for asking this very interesting question,
Brother Albert
ps what does ppl stand for in your post? people?
Yes people :) ty for your insightful answers!!

Brother Albert R.

You are right but it's still a challenge. A well meaning Christian host could stumble by saying "I am so happy to see all you great looking ladies, if that's how you identify, here tonight that had enough money to buy enough makeup to cover your warts - no offense! I mean, I just painted my old barn and I'm sure you would have agreed it needed it. And for both men and women, their is something called inner beauty. You know, the kind only God can see. Or Godzilla."
The pitfalls are endless.
You should be a comedian Footsteps. :ahaha :ahaha :ahaha :ahaha :ahaha I get your sense of humor, and it's great. You should post you lines in the joke section and they will be a big hit. Are you a comedian by trade? Keep up with your sense of humor, it is refreshing.
God bless you Footsteps,
Brother Albert

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member
I think that common sense could also be called prudence, and I do believe that it is Biblical.
"The naive believes everything, but the sensible man considers his steps." Proverbs 14:15

Prudence doesn't have to be a matter of pride. Proverbs also describes a prudent wife (chapter 31) She works hard, is generous, and plans ahead for hard times. (No where does it say that she lords it over her neighbors because she is smarter.) These traits are just as attractive in men as they are in women.

Lovin Jesus

I think "common sense " the way the world uses it comes from whatever is common, or whatever is acceptable in the majority. In other words, if it's common to slap yourself in the face after you brush your teeth then it makes sense to slap your face after you brush your teeth because it's the common thing to do. Sounds ridiculous huh? No, I don't think common sense is biblical.

If someone is to tell you to use godly wisdom, then that is biblical. Using godly wisdom Always gets everything done right, always with a good outcome, because you are using wisdom coming from God.

There are far too many sayings that come from human concept, and look where humans are today. They still can't figure out how to not get sick, get old, and die. No common sense can give that answer. But godly wisdom on the other hand tells you that you can believe in Jesus and God has all of those things already remedied through His Son Jesus.

I'm sorry for your past hurts. Thanks be to God who heals our hearts and loves us more than enough to cover all of our hurts like the ones you had. You are a child of God and you are of great worth to Him, so much so that He gave His only begotten Son so that you may have every lasting life by just believing in Him.

The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing.
Zephaniah 3:17

I love you brother. You are in a loving family of believers who love one another in the same love Jesus loves us. He taught us this way of love and this is how we know we are His disciples if we love one another.

Last edited:

J Dub

I think the answer to the question depends on what one's basis for common sense is. For the unregenerate (unsaved person) common sense can only be derived from what "feels natural or correct" and can be quite dangerous vs a saved person deriving their common sense from a spiritual/biblical perspective as Paul describes in Romans 8.

“For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God’s law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:5-8‬

JamesSuth

I think the answer to the question depends on what one's basis for common sense is. For the unregenerate (unsaved person) common sense can only be derived from what "feels natural or correct" and can be quite dangerous vs a saved person deriving their common sense from a spiritual/biblical perspective as Paul describes in Romans 8.

“For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God’s law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:5-8‬
Good point! I think God intends for us to learn wisdom, which is why He gave us the Bible and in particular the wisdom books such as Proverbs.

Back