Believing in Christ to be saved

Lovin Jesus

I think I know the answer to these questions but I would appreciate a discussion on this to bring out a clear understanding to readers here

The principal to our salvation is believing in Jesus. That is the Only thing necessary to be saved is believing in Him. Many religions believe in Jesus are they saved, if not why?

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
John 3:16

They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household."
Acts 13:31

“Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”
Luke 7:50

Why isn't every person who believes saved?

You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that--and shudder.
James 2:19

Please if we can use clear answers that an unbeliever who is unversed and with no or little Bible knowledge can clearly understand.
Thanks Lovin :fish

Last edited:

soundingthealarm

Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Son of God is saved. 1st John 4:15 Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God.

James wasn't saying "believe the Gospel" he said you believe there is one God, that is NOT the Gospel to "believe in God."

The Gospel (GREAT NEWS) That Jesus died for our sins (took our sins upon Him) and was crucified, then buried and then rose from the grave, to BELIEVE that "flesh and blood" does NOT reveal that to us, but Our Father in Heaven. FREE GIFT.

WaitingForTheTrumpet

I think I know the answer to these questions but I would appreciate a discussion on this to bring out a clear understanding to readers here

The principal to our salvation is believing in Jesus. That is the Only thing necessary to be saved is believing in Him. Many religions believe in Jesus are they saved, if not why?

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
John 3:16

They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household."
Acts 13:31

“Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”
Luke 7:50

Why isn't every person who believes saved?

You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that--and shudder.
James 2:19

Please if we can use clear answers that an unbeliever who is unversed and with no or little Bible knowledge can clearly understand.
Thanks Lovin :fish
There is a huge difference between head knowledge and heart knowledge. Anyone can intellectually believe that a person named Jesus existed in history. It's quite another thing altogether to believe IN Him with your whole heart. Acknowledging His existence requires only an impersonal intellect without taking Him to heart. To believe in Him requires faith in your innermost heart with the desire to have a personal relationship with Him as the One and only God-Man, Who died for you personally, to bear your own sins upon Himself so that you may be reconciled to God for all eternity.

It's the difference between being a bystander and being the Bride.

I believe (no pun intended) there are two different Greek words.
98 times the word believe: pisteuó: Definition: to believe, entrust

The other time James 2:19b Even the demons believe that--and shudder.
The Greek word is pisteuousin: if I remember it correctly it means to acknowledge

and as you know it.......I can't no longer find the actual definition for this word

Neonap

There is no possible way to earn your way into heaven by your "good works" or by being a good person. Many in both the secular world and religious rely or believe that their morality or good deeds will grant them eternity in heaven. This is what makes God's Word so different from any other religion.

God's Word tells us that none are righteous, that we are dead in our sins and deserve hell. We cannot save ourselves nor just lean on our good works to save us. There is only one way to be saved and that's through Jesus Christ. We believe who Jesus is, both man and God, He lived a perfect sinless life, died for the sins of the world and rose from the dead on the third day.

Once we have accepted that we are sinners in need of a savior, and put our trust and belief in Jesus Christ, we are sealed with the Holy Spirit.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God. Ephesians 2:8

Works follow us, but works alone do not save us. It's all about what Jesus Christ did for you and I on the cross.

Jeff K

Many will say they believe in Jesus, but will then go on to say, "and I... am a good person, been baptized, go to church." The "and I" statement is saying that they don't believe that the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus is sufficient, but that they must add those acts to get into heaven.

Some people believe in a Jesus made up through the desires of their evil heart, denying the true Jesus in Scripture.

I would have told you that I believed in God and Jesus, but it was not until I heard the whole gospel and fully understood that because of my sin, I would be spending eternity in hell, that I turned to Jesus Christ and cried out for Him to save me. And even that cry out to Him came after many attempts and failures to clean up my sin filled life myself. Through faith and repentance, I believed, trusted, and was saved.

Bethlehem57

Many will say they believe in Jesus, but will then go on to say, "and I... am a good person, been baptized, go to church." The "and I" statement is saying that they don't believe that the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus is sufficient, but that they must add those acts to get into heaven.

Some people believe in a Jesus made up through the desires of their evil heart, denying the true Jesus in Scripture.

I would have told you that I believed in God and Jesus, but it was not until I heard the whole gospel and fully understood that because of my sin, I would be spending eternity in hell, that I turned to Jesus Christ and cried out for Him to save me. And even that cry out to Him came after many attempts and failures to clean up my sin filled life myself. Through faith and repentance, I believed, trusted, and was saved.
And the first two paragraphs are works based...meaning that man works on his own salvation by being good, going to church, etc. And our works are but filthy rags.

Personally, my walk with Christ has been a growth..first acceptance of grace by faith in Chris’s finished work on the Cross. As I continue to grow in faith, I know that there is nothing I can do to earn salvation or merit. I continue to trust and obey, staying faithful to studying His Word and by placing complete trust in His work on the cross. The product of my faith makes me want to be pleasing to my Lord. It makes make want to be obedient. I have done A LOT of growing! I wasn’t raised in Church and when I was a young adult, circumstances in my life caused me to run to Jesus.

I have heard it said that a person has to keep hearing about Jesus and His love for us so many times before something happens in our lives, something God allows to happen to get your attention, before you finally get it. That hard lesson worked for me. But, that’s not the last lesson I have had. God, in His infinite mercy, continues to shape and mold us until the day we go Home. So in my case, it’s been a process.

Because I love my Savior and because I want to please Him, I act in a way to bring Him honor and glory. And a lot of times, I fail. But I come back to His throne and ask for mercy and forgiveness, which He alone can give. And I thank Him ever day for this mercy, because in my sinful human form, anything I do looks “like filthy rags to my King. It’s like you said, “Through faith and repentance....”

Back