Do you believe that our nation will have a Nineveh like repentance or is it too late?

Neonap

I had recently finished reading the book of Jonah, and it got me thinking whether or not our nation has reached a point of no return or if there is still hope left. Jonah has to be one of my favorites, next to the Daniel and Revelation.

Nineveh was a city known for it's extreme brutality and wickedness but God still had eyes of compassion for it's people. God showed Grace and mercy to the underserving and merciless. That's why I love the book of Jonah. It shows us that God can save and does love people who we deem hopeless and completely lost.

God had sent Jonah and amazingly the unexpected happened. They all repented, humbling themselves before God and God had delayed his judgement on a cruel, and evil city. I wonder, if there was hope for Nineveh, then is there hope for the USA?

There are verses in Jeremiah chapter 18, that mentions the judgement of God on a nation and if that certain nation turns from it's evils then God will hold back judgement. But if it does not, well.. expect judgement.

I think our nation has had warning after warning, calls for repentance time and time again, and yet our nation has not turned back to God. Is there still hope? I personally don't think so. What do you guys think?

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
The USA is just a piece of this world and this world appears to be making its choice even now. It appears to me that the world is choosing sin and lawlessness and given what the Bible tells us of the end days the world appears to be about there. It's probly about time that those not of this world are removed so the world can experience all that they're asking for. I think the hour is too late for the world to return to more innocent times.

athenasius

I had recently finished reading the book of Jonah, and it got me thinking whether or not our nation has reached a point of no return or if there is still hope left. Jonah has to be one of my favorites, next to the Daniel and Revelation.

Nineveh was a city known for it's extreme brutality and wickedness but God still had eyes of compassion for it's people. God showed Grace and mercy to the underserving and merciless. That's why I love the book of Jonah. It shows us that God can save and does love people who we deem hopeless and completely lost.

God had sent Jonah and amazingly the unexpected happened. They all repented, humbling themselves before God and God had delayed his judgement on a cruel, and evil city. I wonder, if there was hope for Nineveh, then is there hope for the USA?

There are verses in Jeremiah chapter 18, that mentions the judgement of God on a nation and if that certain nation turns from it's evils then God will hold back judgement. But if it does not, well.. expect judgement.

I think our nation has had warning after warning, calls for repentance time and time again, and yet our nation has not turned back to God. Is there still hope? I personally don't think so. What do you guys think?

Look at Nahum for the answer. Written 100 years later, the time of turning under Jonah was long past, and Ninevah's destruction was going to happen. Nahum's book is all about this unavoidable doom for the enemies of God. This says that the inevitable day of judgment does come. But up till death or the taking of the mark of the Beast in the Tribulation there remains hope for individual repentance. In Nahum, there is still the promise of God's mercy to those who turn to Him.
Nahum 1:1-7
1 The burden of Nineveh. The book of the vision of Nahum the Elkoshite.

2 God is jealous, and the Lord revengeth; the Lord revengeth, and is furious; the Lord will take vengeance on his adversaries, and he reserveth wrath for his enemies.

3 The Lord is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked: the Lord hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet.

4 He rebuketh the sea, and maketh it dry, and drieth up all the rivers: Bashan languisheth, and Carmel, and the flower of Lebanon languisheth.

5 The mountains quake at him, and the hills melt, and the earth is burned at his presence, yea, the world, and all that dwell therein.

6 Who can stand before his indignation? and who can abide in the fierceness of his anger? his fury is poured out like fire, and the rocks are thrown down by him.

7 The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him.

I think 2 Peter 3:9 holds the other clue. It's rooted in God's character and this present age of Grace. God is patient, not willing that any should perish. Even the Tribulation-- The Day of the Lord which we won't go thru is grace to the sinner. Another chance.

2 Peter 3: 9
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

While those who bless Israel are blessed, in this Church age, God deals with individuals and the individuals affect their nations. So we are salt and light and act in a preservative way as the Restrainer (the Holy Spirit) acts thru us to restrain evil. Christians filled with the Holy Spirit, living out their lives under God will always create blessing and restrain evil around them.

National repentance and revival depend on individual repentance and revival. Individuals who bring the gospel to others, who live out their lives faithful to God. Who influence their leaders to treat Israel with care.

But there are always those who hate God and are His enemies by their own choice. And they come under the Romans 1 situation. THAT unfortunately is exactly where we are at in our day and time. The symptoms are all there.

They ignore the truth written in creation. They turned to their own imaginations (evolution). They became fools. This began in the mid 1800s with the Darwin theory etc coupled with the "higher school of criticism" in theological seminaries which attacked the truth of the Bible.

They became fools and began to worship creation rather than the creator. This happened as the evolution theory and the attacks on the Bible continued and so called science with ecology and nature worship became popular. Beginning of the 1900s although it began earlier.

God gave them up to homosexual urges and perversions. It was prevalent before WW1 but it really gathered momentum in the 50s with the Kinsey report. It set the stage for the LGBTQ movement and not surprising, it was centred in universities. From there it attacked schools and churches.

Verses 29-31 explain the end result that pervades the whole society in the nations when this process is nearly complete.

We are now at Verse 32.

Romans 1: 16- 32

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

I would say, that as always individual repentance is available, as it will be in the Tribulation period too, when God's WRATH is being poured out. But looking at the way EVERY nation on earth is acting, I can't see any one nation turning or holding back the tides of time. We are near the end, and we WILL see the repentance of the last of the Gentiles (the fulness of the Gentiles) as Romans 11:25 says. But that is the last revival, and it's in individual hearts.
Romans 11:25
I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers and sisters, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in,

Neonap

The USA is just a piece of this world and this world appears to be making its choice even now. It appears to me that the world is choosing sin and lawlessness and given what the Bible tells us of the end days the world appears to be about there. It's probly about time that those not of this world are removed so the world can experience all that they're asking for. I think the hour is too late for the world to return to more innocent times.

I
Look at Nahum for the answer. Written 100 years later, the time of turning under Jonah was long past, and Ninevah's destruction was going to happen. Nahum's book is all about this unavoidable doom for the enemies of God. This says that the inevitable day of judgment does come. But up till death or the taking of the mark of the Beast in the Tribulation there remains hope for individual repentance. In Nahum, there is still the promise of God's mercy to those who turn to Him.
Nahum 1:1-7
1 The burden of Nineveh. The book of the vision of Nahum the Elkoshite.

2 God is jealous, and the Lord revengeth; the Lord revengeth, and is furious; the Lord will take vengeance on his adversaries, and he reserveth wrath for his enemies.

3 The Lord is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked: the Lord hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet.

4 He rebuketh the sea, and maketh it dry, and drieth up all the rivers: Bashan languisheth, and Carmel, and the flower of Lebanon languisheth.

5 The mountains quake at him, and the hills melt, and the earth is burned at his presence, yea, the world, and all that dwell therein.

6 Who can stand before his indignation? and who can abide in the fierceness of his anger? his fury is poured out like fire, and the rocks are thrown down by him.

7 The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him.

I think 2 Peter 3:9 holds the other clue. It's rooted in God's character and this present age of Grace. God is patient, not willing that any should perish. Even the Tribulation-- The Day of the Lord which we won't go thru is grace to the sinner. Another chance.

2 Peter 3: 9
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

While those who bless Israel are blessed, in this Church age, God deals with individuals and the individuals affect their nations. So we are salt and light and act in a preservative way as the Restrainer (the Holy Spirit) acts thru us to restrain evil. Christians filled with the Holy Spirit, living out their lives under God will always create blessing and restrain evil around them.

National repentance and revival depend on individual repentance and revival. Individuals who bring the gospel to others, who live out their lives faithful to God. Who influence their leaders to treat Israel with care.

But there are always those who hate God and are His enemies by their own choice. And they come under the Romans 1 situation. THAT unfortunately is exactly where we are at in our day and time. The symptoms are all there.

They ignore the truth written in creation. They turned to their own imaginations (evolution). They became fools. This began in the mid 1800s with the Darwin theory etc coupled with the "higher school of criticism" in theological seminaries which attacked the truth of the Bible.

They became fools and began to worship creation rather than the creator. This happened as the evolution theory and the attacks on the Bible continued and so called science with ecology and nature worship became popular. Beginning of the 1900s although it began earlier.

God gave them up to homosexual urges and perversions. It was prevalent before WW1 but it really gathered momentum in the 50s with the Kinsey report. It set the stage for the LGBTQ movement and not surprising, it was centred in universities. From there it attacked schools and churches.

Verses 29-31 explain the end result that pervades the whole society in the nations when this process is nearly complete.

We are now at Verse 32.

Romans 1: 16- 32

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

I would say, that as always individual repentance is available, as it will be in the Tribulation period too, when God's WRATH is being poured out. But looking at the way EVERY nation on earth is acting, I can't see any one nation turning or holding back the tides of time. We are near the end, and we WILL see the repentance of the last of the Gentiles (the fulness of the Gentiles) as Romans 11:25 says. But that is the last revival, and it's in individual hearts.
Romans 11:25
I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers and sisters, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in,

As much as I love our country, and cherish the God given freedoms that we currently have(for now) it is not the same God fearing America that it was once. America has fallen sway to the devil's tunes and now we are dancing to his rhythm of rebellion and lawlessness.

I honestly believe we've become worse than Sodom and Gomorrah, and Babylon combined. It's not even stopping, people are only waxing worse and worse. If we are in the end times, which I think is evident with all of the birth pangs all around us; Then I would argue that we've reached the point of no return.

"If God doesn't soon bring judgment upon America, He'll have to go back and apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah!

Neonap

I do not. It's a nice thought, though.

Just imagine if history repeated itself, and we saw everyone from the common citizen to the people in government and Trump himself all turn to God in repentance while wearing sackcloth all humbling themselves before God? That would be beyond beautiful and miraculous. It would be great if that were to happen and our nation turned back to God.

But unfortunately that won't happen. That's the bad news, but the good news is that Jesus' return is closer than ever and we can tell that we are in the season.

Eric Nicholas

Just imagine if history repeated itself, and we saw everyone from the common citizen to the people in government and Trump himself all turn to God in repentance while wearing sackcloth all humbling themselves before God? That would be beyond beautiful and miraculous. It would be great if that were to happen and our nation turned back to God.

But unfortunately that won't happen. That's the bad news, but the good news is that Jesus' return is closer than ever and we can tell that we are in the season.
Yeah that would be really lovely and moving. To see that would put a man down on his knees; both of them.

greg64

Agree with all the above. On an individual basis, may people continue to turn to Him. If they can see what's going on and the way the world is going, they see they have a choice. Based on the convergences happening, though, I think repentance will be limited in scope until Israel flees to the wilderness.

GotGrace

I believe it is too late. There is still time for pockets of revivals, but I don’t believe a sweeping revival across the whole United States will take place. There are multitudes that love sin more. I wish I were wrong and a sweeping revival would happen.

cheeky200386

I agree with everyone here too. I do see people individually coming to Jesus, but the culture as a whole is extremely wicked. Each generation knows less and less about God. I see pedophilia gaining sympathy which will mean destigmatization, and then acceptance, to celebration.

I believe, in my opinion, that there are some nationwide sins that put that nation at a point of no return. I imagine hurting children to be one. Then we have abortion in this country too, along with every other wicked sin you see celebrated (self-love aka pride, drunkenness, materialism aka idolatry, divorce and polyamory/fornication, satanism, witchcraft, etc...

The American Psychological Association actually came out last year stating how counselors need to accept polyamorous relationships as healthy and not only look to monogamy. It's all coming to a house near you.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Sure, but the question was about America. Maybe we'll see another revival; maybe we won't. I have my opinions / expectations, but we can't know for sure what might happen in our country (before what we know will happen according to prophecy).

America is just a little piece of the world, and the Bible tells us where the world's going. We certainly don't have all of the details but we know the general direction.

Batman

I think our country has the opportunity to repent during the immediate reactionary time prophesied just after the Gog/Magog destruction and there are other opportunities during the Trib as also prophesied. Not sure otherwise.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
It's not too late since we, as a nation, have not been destroyed.
Therefore, we as a nation. still have a choice.
With God, all things are possible (no matter how hopeless they seem to us)
God knows the future and His plan is perfect.

No different than an individual having until death (destruction) to come to saving faith in Jesus Christ.
Until death (destruction) he or she has a choice
With God, all things are possible (no matter how hopeless they seem to us)
God knows the future and His plan is perfect.

God's Will be done.

:pray :pray :amen :amen

usoutpost31

I think the story of Jonah is that no one is beyond, or can put a limit on, God's mercy and forgiveness. Nineveh was just 40 days away from being overthrown.

For nationwide revival, it would have to start with our leaders, both in government and in the churches, and I'm afraid that's where we'd have a problem. They'd have to humble themselves and seek God's favour, putting the well being of the country ahead of themselves and their desire to hold onto power.

Back