Gog-Magog invasion timing

sawas

https://www.quora.com/What-direction-is-Russia-from-the-United-States?share=1

What direction is the US from Russia

Michael Zajac
Answered Mar 16, 2018 · Author has 1.5k answers and 1.2m answer views

North.
You can get there by going east or west, but your trip will be much longer. The shortest distance is by going north, across the polar region.
Below is a map in a gnomonic projection, centred on the North Pole, and rotated to match the east-west centre of the contiguous forty-eight United States. With this projection, the farther from the centre, the more distorted the shapes of territories. The equator is pulled out to infinity. But this map has a key property: straight lines on this flat map represent straight lines across the globe (great circle routes), and their distance can be measured directly.
As you can see, the Russian Federation is across the North Pole from the United States. A straight line from any part of the contiguous lower forty-eight to any part of the RF points in a northerly direction.

Map generated using NASA G.Projector.
1.8k views · View 4 Upvoters

read at https://www.quora.com/What-direction-is-Russia-from-the-United-States?share=1

When you hit the "continue reading" a map will show up

What is it that you don't get about the North Pole being the northern-most point on the globe? Any place that is not located between here and the North Pole is not north of here. If you are willing to go past that point and still call it "north" then every place can be north (or south) of every other place on the planet. That's not how cardinal directions work. And, in fact, if you rotate that map you referenced, it can indicate any direction that you want. 180 degrees and, presto chango, Russia is south of the US. Duh. I give up.

kathymendel

I think many face biblical end times prophecy with a focus on the U.S. because we live here and we can relate to that. BUT........ everything in the bible is focused on the middle east, and namely, Israel. In the history of world government, we are a blip on the radar screen. And, we know from history that nations and governments have NEVER lasted forever. I think the Roman Empire was the longest time-wise, but it too fell. Why do we tend to think we are any different? Why do we think we are the be all and end all in the world? We're not..........and, we are certainly seeing that now! Our government is so corrupt we can see it swirling the toilet bowl and getting ready to go down the drain! We are not nearly as wonderful as we seem to think we are. I am happy that I am an American, and I feel so blessed to live in this country, but I see it all coming to an end. Things are NOT going to go "back to normal" ........... the stage has been set for the dominoes to fall ........... and, for God's will to be done. My loyalty is NOT to the US but to King Jesus and His soon-coming new kingdom. Now is the time to "look up" to THE ONE who deserves our attention and loyalty. Political correctness and un-yielding loyalty to a government is coming very close to idolatry............ we are to leave the love of the worldly things behind, and be ready to leave this place. Just my humble opinion, and I know others will disagree. But, the church age is ending, and we are watching the decline of this world, just as Noah did in his day. Look up! Be ready to move on!

cshere

The harvest is PAST, Summer has ENDED, and WE (the Jews) are not saved.
So good to finally get back to this thread....a little over my head, but, really appreciate all the comments....by the way....wouldn't it be ironic if the Rapture actually helped make the 144,000 JEALOUS enough to come to this lament? I've been reading so many things in these prophets that are suddenly coming home to be a bit more (Murkily, yes, but, any nugget of understanding is a milestone, for me, that is, and is exciting). Anyway, like you are stating in this whole comment, I think God is giving us a clear picture of much of the timings that I have been missing, and I am really agreeing with your assessment here.

mikhen7

Freed By Christ to Serve Christ
I haven't wanted to interfere with an interesting discussion between you both. And I thought my brain fog was a bit too much to make a ton of sense. I'd just confuse things. I'm not sure I'll make sense with the passages I'm currently focusing on. I'll try.

Oh thank you for those maps. I was listing to Derek and Sharon Gilbert mention something about Gog's burial place, and if I recall it IS in that area. They mentioned it as on the way that Moses led the Israelites up towards the Promised land on the Jordanian side of things now. The Valley of the Travellers. That does intrigue me and maps are VERY helpful.

About the nations we were looking at, that come against Israel in one way or another and meet their doom in the build up towards or just as the Trib starts.

I've had a thought that might run along with the concept of the church being removed before we see Ez 38 and possibly Damascus and or Psalm 83/the destruction of the different people groups that we were discussing although I think we might see those last 2. Even Ez 38.

Just that the wording about God's purposes in Isaiah 17 and Ez 38 seem to be focused on the REDEMPTION of Israel, which is the purpose of the Tribulation. And as always, the Rapture is NOT the starter pistol event for the Tribulation-- it's the signing or the ratifying or confirmation of the covenant. The AC can't appear before we are gone, because the Holy Spirit is acting as Restrainer thru the Church period. This doesn't mean that the Rapture happens and 5 seconds after we might not see the AC signing the covenant, just that they are not the same thing.

-- I've been thinking along the lines of the way Summer is referenced in Jeremiah 8:20 along with the thoughts of the 3 harvests of Israel. The first is Barley, at Passover, the next is Wheat, that is Pentecost, then the long hot summer and the last of the 3 Harvests is during or just before the Fall Feasts consisting of grapes from late summer into fall, and then finishing with the olives sometimes after the fall feasts.

I'm seeing how the church is dropped in at Pentecost, while the Jewish Feasts skip the dry spell over the summer. 2 horrible fasting days over that time but ending with the final harvest and the Fall feasts.

Jeremiah 8:20 New International Version (NIV)
20 “The harvest is past,
the summer has ended,
and we are not saved.”

I know that sounds obscure, but Jeremiah is talking to the Jews. And it's a lament. There was a time to repent, an interval but Jeremiah's weeping (it's in that context) is for his fellow Jews about to go into Babylonian captivity. The harvest is PAST, Summer has ENDED, and WE (the Jews) are not saved.

I have been considering that as a prophecy that was fulfilled then, and has yet to be finally fulfilled. If they are looking around at the incoming threats when summer is ended, they are not saved (implying that they hoped they would be-- I think they were hoping Egypt might help out in the first go round, and in this next go round that the AC is the boy wonder who can help them out.) The summer seems like the Church age. Time for grace. Grace extended to the last days of summer, then harvest is past (we are gone?) and they are not saved-- going into the furnace of affliction.

I was over in the Dog Days of Summer article by Randy Nettles here: https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/threads/the-dog-days-of-summer.150365/ and noticing agaain that summer is a bad time for Israel. A time of struggle. Involving 2 fasts. Randy discusses all that but that 9th of Av that Randy focuses on really deserves attention. 8 times it's been involved in a national disaster for Israel. Randy floats the idea of a ninth time and final time to make it another 9. It's an interesting idea.

but back to Summer again, as a theme of the struggles of NATIONAL ISRAEL. Before Summer began, the Church arrives at Pentecost. Some think she will be raptured out at Pentecost, (and others Passover, or the Fall Feasts while others prefer to avoid a seasonal time in any given year). The worst of summer's heat lasts from Pentecost to mid September early Oct. The Fall Feasts.

Summer is the season of the Church, and the season of Israel's struggles in exile.

Jesus fulfills the first fruits, the barley harvest that occurs with Passover. Then comes a pause counting the Omer up to Pentecost. The BIRTHDAY of the church. AND Moses received the LAW on that Pentecost day. He went up the mountain for 10 days, was given the 10 commandments and was up for another 30 days making 40 days before he came back down. Finding Israel in utter sin and degradation before a golden calf. Randy goes into it in that article.

That 30 days AFTER Pentecost makes for the first of the 2 summer fast days -- this first one leads into the 9th of AV --part of that long hot summer of struggle for the Jews.

In Isaiah speaking to Jews-- HIS PEOPLE again. Gives a bit of a Rapture reference.
Isaiah 26:20 Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC)
20 Come, my people, enter your chambers and shut your doors behind you; hide yourselves for a little while until the [Lord’s] wrath is past.

We as the church are made up of Jews and Gentiles. Yes we are waiting for the fulness of the Gentiles to come in, but there is also a significant portion of the church that is Jewish and has been since the start. I think Isaiah is speaking to those future Messianic Jews who are part of the church, yet still part of the Jewish people. I think I've heard that the word chambers is like the bridal chambers, which again speaks of the Rapture and Jesus frequent use of wedding references. As believers in Jesus, that percentage of Jews, enters the wedding chambers, hidden from the Wrath.

Back to Jeremiah, he is speaking to National Israel. Like Ezekiel 37-- JUST BEFORE 38&39! in which national Israel is revived as the dry bones, with sinew and skin, but no breath in them. God opens their graves and brings them up into Israel, and the 2 sticks of Judah and Israel are reunited into one nation. That fig tree of National Israel-- as a nation, national secular unbelieving Israel. The fig tree putting forth its tender branches, leafing out as Jesus says in Matthew and Mark Olivet discourse accounts. Missing in Luke. Matt is written to the Jews, Luke to the Gentiles.

So I'm looking at the differences between the Church (made up of Jews and Gentiles both) and Israel as the summer drags on. Pentecost happens, the wheat harvest occurs, and then the Fall Feasts. Jeremiah laments it's all over with and salvation hasn't happened YET.

I am wondering about the missing element in Jeremiah-- salvation. As a certain preacher and his friends often say-- The purpose of the Tribulation is for the Salvation of the Jewish Nation. Jeremiah is looking at the Tribulation from the agony of grief seeing what's coming. And it's that period that some of these passages I've been puzzling over may sit best.

Isaiah is looking at the Tribulation from the Messianic perspective-- hidden away in the bridal chambers while God's Wrath is poured out.

And I'm wondering again about the springtime imagery in the Song of Solomon, and the implications of the end of spring beginning of summer which is Pentecost.

Pentecost, when the dispensations changed at least twice-- Moses and the Law, The Birth of the Church with the infilling of the Holy Spirit. Pentecost when Enoch (a type of the church) was supposed to have been born and raptured according to rabbinic traditions. Pentecost, the harvest of wheat.

That is what Jesus was talking about in the Wheat and Tares parable was the harvest of the Wheat.

I'm just looking at that right now, separating the first harvest, barley, the second harvest wheat -- at Pentecost (both grains which are threshed or beaten, then sifted to remove the husk and the chaff) from the fall harvest which consists of olives and grapes and other fruits-- noting that olives and grapes go thru the pressure to get wine, winepress and olive oil from the olive press. Also noting that the other 2 "trees" that picture Israel are the olive and the grape vine.

It's as far as I've gotten, and it might be a complete dead end or make no sense when viewing these other passages we were discussing, but it's been on my mind a bit.
Ok, now that you have written all of the above, time to order it up into a Bible study! :)

mikhen7

Freed By Christ to Serve Christ
I think that, in the context of Ezekiel and Revelation, at least, we might be comfortable thinking of Gog as a non-human actor who has/will cause mischief at multiple points in time.
This is definitely the direction to set up your camp. The only good and rational explanation for a "Chief (Rosh) Prince" (cf. Dan 10:20-21, 12:1 and the Princes mentioned or Great Prince respectively).

From the DSS Bible:
Ezekiel 38:1–3 (The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible)
1 [The word of the LORD] came [to me, saying, 2 Mortal, look toward] Gog of [the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshech, and Tubal. Prophesy against him] 3 and s[ay: This is what the Lord GOD says: Listen. I am opposed to you, Gog, chief prince of Meshech, and Tubal.

From LEB:
Ezekiel 38:2–3 (LEB)
2 “Son of man, set your face toward Gog of the land of Magog, the head leader of Meshech and Tubal, and prophesy against him. 3 And you must say, ‘Thus says the Lord Yahweh: “Look! I am against you, Gog, the head leader of Meshach and Tubal,

Rosh means head or Chief.

Being an elohim (spiritual entity, if you will), he is called out as Rosh, or Chief, or Head leader because of his hierarchical rank among the Principalities and Powers of the spiritual realm. Only an entity with these qualities could be mentioned again as appearing at the end of the millennium. Compare Deut 32:8, where the Bene Elohim reference translated "children of Israel" in MT, but really should be "Sons of God" or "Angels of God" as in the LXX.

Deuteronomy 32:8 (LES)
8 When the Most High distributed nations
as he scattered the descendants of Adam,
he set up boundaries for the nations
according to the number of the angels of God.

This makes perfect sense (consider events at Babel), considering their are principalities, some evil, some good, that drive the nations under their leadership, all of the pons of God, El Elyon, God most high.

As Origen stated:
And they [nations] were conducted by those angels to the different parts of the earth according to their deserts. For example, some were taken to regions of burning heat. Others, to a country that chastises its inhabitants by its cold. Again, others, to a land exceedingly difficult to cultivate…. Those who preserved their original language continued… in possession of the east and of their eastern language. Take note that these people alone became the possession of the Lord. And His people were called Jacob and Israel….*

*Michael L. Henderson, Those Who Are Wise Will Shine! (Westbow Press, 2011). Origen, 4.556, in A Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs: A Reference Guide to More Than 700 Topics Discussed by the Early Church, ed. David W. Bercot (Peabody: Hendrickson, 1998), 646.

sawas

Ok, now that you have written all of the above, time to order it up into a Bible study! :)

I agree. This apparently "stray observation" - a talent for which @athenasius seems very capable - is simply fascinating to contemplate. I find that these are the sorts of "layered" characteristics in scripture that serve as a watermark proof of divine authorship.

sawas

This is definitely the direction to set up your camp. The only good and rational explanation for a "Chief (Rosh) Prince" (cf. Dan 10:20-21, 12:1 and the Princes mentioned or Great Prince respectively).

From the DSS Bible:
Ezekiel 38:1–3 (The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible)
1 [The word of the LORD] came [to me, saying, 2 Mortal, look toward] Gog of [the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshech, and Tubal. Prophesy against him] 3 and s[ay: This is what the Lord GOD says: Listen. I am opposed to you, Gog, chief prince of Meshech, and Tubal.

From LEB:
Ezekiel 38:2–3 (LEB)
2 “Son of man, set your face toward Gog of the land of Magog, the head leader of Meshech and Tubal, and prophesy against him. 3 And you must say, ‘Thus says the Lord Yahweh: “Look! I am against you, Gog, the head leader of Meshach and Tubal,

Rosh means head or Chief.

Being an elohim (spiritual entity, if you will), he is called out as Rosh, or Chief, or Head leader because of his hierarchical rank among the Principalities and Powers of the spiritual realm. Only an entity with these qualities could be mentioned again as appearing at the end of the millennium. Compare Deut 32:8, where the Bene Elohim reference translated "children of Israel" in MT, but really should be "Sons of God" or "Angels of God" as in the LXX.

Deuteronomy 32:8 (LES)
8 When the Most High distributed nations
as he scattered the descendants of Adam,
he set up boundaries for the nations
according to the number of the angels of God.

This makes perfect sense (consider events at Babel), considering their are principalities, some evil, some good, that drive the nations under their leadership, all of the pons of God, El Elyon, God most high.

As Origen stated:
And they [nations] were conducted by those angels to the different parts of the earth according to their deserts. For example, some were taken to regions of burning heat. Others, to a country that chastises its inhabitants by its cold. Again, others, to a land exceedingly difficult to cultivate…. Those who preserved their original language continued… in possession of the east and of their eastern language. Take note that these people alone became the possession of the Lord. And His people were called Jacob and Israel….*

*Michael L. Henderson, Those Who Are Wise Will Shine! (Westbow Press, 2011). Origen, 4.556, in A Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs: A Reference Guide to More Than 700 Topics Discussed by the Early Church, ed. David W. Bercot (Peabody: Hendrickson, 1998), 646.

Also fascinating to contemplate, the degree to which these various "principalities" are (apparently) so territorial.

sawas

So good to finally get back to this thread....a little over my head, but, really appreciate all the comments....by the way....wouldn't it be ironic if the Rapture actually helped make the 144,000 JEALOUS enough to come to this lament? I've been reading so many things in these prophets that are suddenly coming home to be a bit more (Murkily, yes, but, any nugget of understanding is a milestone, for me, that is, and is exciting). Anyway, like you are stating in this whole comment, I think God is giving us a clear picture of much of the timings that I have been missing, and I am really agreeing with your assessment here.

I think that's pretty good insight too, thanks for sharing it.

athenasius

Bless you, but I just found an author - Jack W. Langford-who has covered both my rabbit trails perfectly. A dear friend mentioned him to me the other day, and when I went on Amazon to order a kindle copy I found out he had written another book covering the 3 harvests & their significance.

I had been leery of his book on the Pentecostal Rapture when I first heard about it because the title suggests that he places the Rapture at some future Pentecost. HE DOESN’T limit it to Pentecost Sunday!!!! He is discussing the FULNESS aspect of the Gentiles being gathered in, relating that in fulfillment of Pentecost, while still allowing for immanence. (I am sure I am spelling this wrong).

The books if anyone is interested are the Pentecostal Rapture of the church of Jesus Christ and the other book is The Threefold order of the resurrection of the righteous.

I've been thinking lately about all that is going on and I say this with no exaggeration intended, it literally feels as though - to use the Ark as an example prior to judgement - that the final animals and families are heading on board, the door is about to be shut, and the rain is about to fall. And in this brief window of time we have, we're telling the world, as the dark clouds are forming, that the rain is coming. Which they can also see, but not understand/grasp.

Yes this feels exactly like that!!! You are very right.

I can’t remember where I read it or listen to it but I know have heard the same idea! You are on the right track keep going! I think it might’ve been Ken Johnson in one of his Dead Sea Scrolls lectures that he’s doing on Thursday nights. I think he said something about the view of the earliest of the early church fathers saying something like that. He touches on the early church fathers writings as well as the Dead Sea Scrolls and the viewpoints of the Essenes.

@sawas I found the passages in Dr.Arnold Fruchtenbaum’s book the Footsteps of the Messiah about the timing of the Gog Magog war. Starting on page 106 he goes into it but his views on the timing are on page 117. He places the timing before the Tribulation. He also deals with the mid tribulation time and view and demolishes it then he deals with the other POVs. This is also where he discusses the Hebrew term “batach” meaning a state of peace and security but not due to confidence in God or in any peace treaty. He explains why he thinks it is pre-tribulation but not pre-rapture.

i’ve just had word this morning that I have a surgery date on June 3 which is coming up in two weeks. This is a major answer to prayer. Still struggling with fatigue so I’ll be in and out as I’m able.

athenasius

What exactly is burning, since weapons aren't made of wood anymore (?) Fuel and oil from the tanks?
Rifle stocks are still made of wood, Lignostone and other composites of that type burn, fuel oil burns. Not sure how that will be fulfilled but I spoke with our son on Sunday about that. He showed me current pics of Russian armaments in use today, and lots of combustible things are present.

i looked up lignostone and got a whole update on that type of product from an engineering group online that has no interest in prophecy, just the properties of nano fibres, cellulose fibres and others in the R&D for weapons.

sawas

@sawas I found the passages in Dr.Arnold Fruchtenbaum’s book the Footsteps of the Messiah about the timing of the Gog Magog war. Starting on page 106 he goes into it but his views on the timing are on page 117. He places the timing before the Tribulation. He also deals with the mid tribulation time and view and demolishes it then he deals with the other POVs. This is also where he discusses the Hebrew term “batach” meaning a state of peace and security but not due to confidence in God or in any peace treaty. He explains why he thinks it is pre-tribulation but not pre-rapture.

i’ve just had word this morning that I have a surgery date on June 3 which is coming up in two weeks. This is a major answer to prayer. Still struggling with fatigue so I’ll be in and out as I’m able.

Thank you again for the reference. I recently noted Andy Woods making a reference to another of Fruchtenbaum's works, so will have to check that out as well.

Praying that your surgery goes well. Not anywhere near as consequential, but I broke a tooth last month and, low and behold, the dentist is finally able to get to it today. Thankfully, there's been no pain or other complications. I hope many who have been in limbo these past months will soon be attended to.

Andiamo

"Let's go!"
Bless you, but I just found an author - Jack W. Langford-who has covered both my rabbit trails perfectly. A dear friend mentioned him to me the other day, and when I went on Amazon to order a kindle copy I found out he had written another book covering the 3 harvests & their significance.

I had been leery of his book on the Pentecostal Rapture when I first heard about it because the title suggests that he places the Rapture at some future Pentecost. HE DOESN’T limit it to Pentecost Sunday!!!! He is discussing the FULNESS aspect of the Gentiles being gathered in, relating that in fulfillment of Pentecost, while still allowing for immanence. (I am sure I am spelling this wrong).

The books if anyone is interested are the Pentecostal Rapture of the church of Jesus Christ and the other book is The Threefold order of the resurrection of the righteous.

I can’t remember where I read it or listen to it but I know have heard the same idea! You are on the right track keep going! I think it might’ve been Ken Johnson in one of his Dead Sea Scrolls lectures that he’s doing on Thursday nights. I think he said something about the view of the earliest of the early church fathers saying something like that. He touches on the early church fathers writings as well as the Dead Sea Scrolls and the viewpoints of the Essenes.

Hey we have those books! My husband read them all and I am reading The Pentecostal Rapture right now. It's certainly eyebrow raising. I hope you feel better and that your surgery date is not postponed

Andiamo

"Let's go!"
I relate.... A LOT is over my head in this thread, but I appreciate this amazing discussion. Going to re-read this whole thread with the bible in front of me and try to understand this more.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun

AHAHAH i was just about to mention you do know he is an advocate for a pentecostal rapture and appears sometmies as a guest on prophecy watchers.

I also pray that your surgery goes well.

One more thing that has been bugging me all night, some people are also listing ascension day as a similar rapture watch like pentecost.

I know that it's the day the Lord ascended to heaven, but i haven't really heard about it being celebrated as an actual day of celebration amongst christians, for the little digging i have done i see that mainly catholics and anglicans celebrate this day .

Do you think we should we be treating this day with importance as well as easter ?

Back