Why so many divisions?

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
I'm just wondering: since we have the Holy Spirirt to guide and teach us, how is it that even among born-again Christians there are so many doctrinal differences and divides? Shouldn't we all eventually end up in the same place doctrinally as our lives progress? But some go to the grave never caring about prophecy, some live thinking women can't wear pants, etc. Why do people get led astray when we have the Holy Spirirt?

WaitingForTheTrumpet

Man wants to be in control, and like the Pharisees, they want to exact laws and rules in order to be self-righteous, self-important and holier-than-thou. They want to make the Word fit into their pre-conceived notions, so each person adds their own twist to the Scriptures, and those who agree with an interpretation will follow that person, while someone else with a different interpretation that twists the Word will gather followers who agree with him.

Steve53

Thanks Steve for posting yet another great teaching from Jack

:hat

When Jack's opinions mirror my own, being a terrible typist is favorite excuse to not have to type my own replies . It's lazy of me, I know..... :heh

All kidding aside, Jack left us a wealth of resources full of Biblically sound reasoning, and IMHO, we'd be remiss to not share his topically relevant thoughts and insights.

I enjoyed directly corresponding with Jack back in the day....Miss him.

Maranatha!

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
:hat

When Jack's opinions mirror my own, being a terrible typist is favorite excuse to not have to type my own replies . It's lazy of me, I know..... :heh

All kidding aside, Jack left us a wealth of resources full of Biblically sound reasoning, and IMHO, we'd be remiss to not share his topically relevant thoughts and insights.

I enjoyed directly corresponding with Jack back in the day....Miss him.

Maranatha!

I didn't stumble upon him until right before he went to be with Jesus, so sadly I never got the chance to do any sort of talking.

The only problem with people posting his articles in response to my questions is that a lot of the time I've already read through the articles on his site about a topic before I post a question here about it :lol

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
I believe it is because there are so many denominations that are going by their traditions instead of doing it God's way. This is why we need to be a good Berean, and search the scriptures to see if what they are saying lines up with the :bible. As Christians we need to walk in the Spirit so we don't fulfill the lust of the flesh. People need to be teachable, and admit that their ideas are wrong compared to what scripture says is truth. The Holy Spirit is our teacher and comforter. This is how people get deceived by trying to do things their way instead of God's directions in life. Sticking with the :bibleis the answer, and follow :fish instead of what man says is right!

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
Paul said its the essentials of The Faith that unite us and to not get hung up and argue over the "non-essentials".
One may ask 'what are these non-essentials'........study , to show yourself approved. :book

Although a discussion on what's essential and what isn't would be edifying.

We know that belief in Jesus' death and resurrection as the only thing that can save us is absolutely necessary. Anyone who claims something different isn't even a Christian.

But there are some that believe you need to work after you are saved to maintain your salvation. Is this division worthy? I'd say yes.

Or the next level down, if someone doesn't believe in "once saved, always saved" is this division worthy?

How about someone who believes in grace through faith salvation as per Ephesians 2:8-9 but is a replacement theolgist?

Or someone who denies the pre-trib rapture.

What constitutes the essentials of the faith?

Something like "do you drink wine or grape juice for communion" probably wouldn't be worth dividing over... but I'm not sure where to actually draw the line

Love His Appearing

Although a discussion on what's essential and what isn't would be edifying.

We know that belief in Jesus' death and resurrection as the only thing that can save us is absolutely necessary. Anyone who claims something different isn't even a Christian.

But there are some that believe you need to work after you are saved to maintain your salvation. Is this division worthy? I'd say yes.

Or the next level down, if someone doesn't believe in "once saved, always saved" is this division worthy?

How about someone who believes in grace through faith salvation as per Ephesians 2:8-9 but is a replacement theolgist?

Or someone who denies the pre-trib rapture.

What constitutes the essentials of the faith?

Something like "do you drink wine or grape juice for communion" probably wouldn't be worth dividing over... but I'm not sure where to actually draw the line
Oh, I hear that. I have always had a problem with churches who say "in essential things unity, in non-essential liberty" cuz who decides which is essential and non-essential. My feeling is that if it is included in scripture it is essential. I have asked this same question in other threads about rightly dividing the truth.

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
Oh, I hear that. I have always had a problem with churches who say "in essential things unity, in non-essential liberty" cuz who decides which is essential and non-essential. My feeling is that if it is included in scripture it is essential. I have asked this same question in other threads about rightly dividing the truth.

I've seen it play out on the forum here on issues like the timing of the New Heavens and Earth, how much alcohol is appropriate for a Christian, whether it's okay to listen to contemporary Christian music, what the baptism of the Holy Spirit means, etc. We all still have online fellowship, so evidently those are non-essential issues. I also understand there are younger (in Christ, not age) believers out there who just haven't been informed about the things of God yet, which is a case that also takes patience... I just really don't know what we are supposed to put up with and what we aren't

AnewcreationinJesus

Soon and very soon ....

Amen!!!! This is what Andy Woods was saying recently .....

RestInHim

As much as we need to embrace unity and love to have a healthy church, we need to embrace division for love to maintain a healthy church.

(Rom. 16: 17-20)

17 Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and avoid them. 18 For those who are such do not serve our Lord [b]Jesus Christ, but their own belly, and by smooth words and flattering speech deceive the hearts of the simple. 19 For your obedience has become known to all. Therefore I am glad on your behalf; but I want you to be wise in what is good, and [c]simple concerning evil. 20 And the God of peace will crush Satan under your feet shortly.

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.

Pastor Andy Woods has a teaching series on Ecclesiology, I haven't listened to all the series but I will post some links in regards to the question on divisions. The Bible (God's Word) has a lot to say about Ecclesiastical separation.

One can either listen to the teaching or read the transcript and there are sermon notes as well.

https://slbc.org/sermon/ecclesiolog...rfxZclWEvs3deTGaPxpWPrHWM5peo6tXLlsasSpIzkDq4

https://slbc.org/sermon/ecclesiolog...NcpZF_P5oXw7MRRW-PbOWYMgzYbXvohzJ8odw39oiMmJw

https://slbc.org/sermon/ecclesiolog...0ZNfW9g8NzQ-6DlAFwatsnYR-nwAWs#transcriptlink

https://slbc.org/sermon/ecclesiolog...hnsm9moM30RUBWQeazKo-aM1zqtfvc#transcriptlink

https://slbc.org/sermon/ecclesiolog...XQP5OnX-k7QOEbbUwhuBKN58yd_GwxtY4ANxNPricIt6Q

Back