The line of King David

maryrae

A bloodline is a bloodline is a bloodline. There would have been others in David's "bloodline", too, but only Jesus has been proclaimed the (eternal) heir to the kingship. At least, that would be my understanding.
I think it's a basic rule in most (if not all) modern monarchies, that the eldest inherits the throne. That was not so for David's immediate heir, who was Solomon, correct?

Almost Heaven

Your question is confusing. The bloodline of King David continued through King Solomon the Kings of the southern and northern kingdoms are detailed in the books of Kings and Chronicles. If you are asking about Jesus' brothers and sisters, I'm sure they had families, but we have been given scant details of this in the Bible, so I am deeming it something we don't really need to focus on.

cavalier973

The royal line descends from Solomon. David and Bathsheba had a second son, Nathan, but the descendants of Nathan are not of the royal line--as I understand it, they cannot occupy the throne, legally.

Mary, Jesus' mother, was descended from Nathan, so Jesus is of the "lineage of David".

God pronounced a blood curse against the royal line (Jeremiah 22:30), declaring that no descendant of Jeconiah will ever occupy the throne. Joseph, Jesus's stepfather, was descended from Jeconiah, and so was qualified to be king, excepting for the blood curse. Jesus inherited Joseph's right to be King, but did not inherit the blood curse. Jesus is of the "House of David".

Only Jesus, therefore, meets the requirement to be King.

Kaatje

My soul waits for the Lord, and in His Word I hope
The royal line descends from Solomon. David and Bathsheba had a second son, Nathan, but the descendants of Nathan are not of the royal line--as I understand it, they cannot occupy the throne, legally.

Mary, Jesus' mother, was descended from Nathan, so Jesus is of the "lineage of David".

God pronounced a blood curse against the royal line (Jeremiah 22:30), declaring that no descendant of Jeconiah will ever occupy the throne. Joseph, Jesus's stepfather, was descended from Jeconiah, and so was qualified to be king, excepting for the blood curse. Jesus inherited Joseph's right to be King, but did not inherit the blood curse. Jesus is of the "House of David".

Exactly!

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.

And another hearty amen!!!

Back