Pets in heaven

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
So, I am asking this question and probably expecting the response: "we won't know until we get there," but is there any biblical basis for being reunited with lost pets in heaven?

This question weighs heavily on my mind since my dog I've had since I was four years old had to be put down a few weeks ago because of cancer, and I feel that loss heavily.

One thing I've found in my own that might indicate there are at least some animals in heaven is the description of Jesus' return in revelation 19: "Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war [...] And the armies in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, followed Him on white horses."

If taken literally this would seem to indicate there are at least horses in heaven if Jesus and the "armies in heaven" come on white horses. Another question I guess I have is whether this is to be taken literally or if it is just meant to compare/ contrast Jesus with the white rider of the seal judgments, or if it's both literal and metaphorical.

I guess boiled down my questions would be 1) is there any indication we might see our lost pets again, and 2) is the above quoted scripture evidence to there being at least horses (and therefore probably other animals) in heaven?

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Great question! :) And...so sorry for your loss, that's a real tough deal. :hug

If you ever get a chance to read a book called Heaven by Randy Alcorn, I would do that. He does a good job pulling out scripture to show tangible aspects of heaven...such as trees, rivers, life, etc.

Here's some scripture talking about mankind and animals finally dwelling peacefully together as a result of Christ's work. If anything it shows God's future plans for animals to be a big part of life in future, just as they are today. In fact, the first thing man engages with are animals as Adam is put in charge of naming them.

And the wolf shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them. And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together; and the lion shall eat straw like the ox. And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the adder’s den. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain; for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of Jehovah, as the waters cover the sea. Isaiah 11:6-9

In other parts of scripture we are told that there will be no more tears in God's new Heaven and New Earth, I have often wondered if part of that is because He also restores our beloved pets. God makes all things new, He says in His word, Rev 21:5. Could that also be our pets? :)

For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; and the former things shall not be remembered, nor come into mind. But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create; for, behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy. And I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in my people; and there shall be heard in her no more the voice of weeping and the voice of crying. There shall be no more thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days; for the child shall die a hundred years old, and the sinner being a hundred years old shall be accursed. And they shall build houses, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and eat the fruit of them. They shall not build, and another inhabit; they shall not plant, and another eat: for as the days of a tree shall be the days of my people, and my chosen shall long enjoy the work of their hands. They shall not labor in vain, nor bring forth for calamity; for they are the seed of the blessed of Jehovah, and their offspring with them. And it shall come to pass that, before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear. The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the ox; and dust shall be the serpent’s food. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, saith Jehovah. Isaiah 65:17-25

Andy C

I hope and pray I will see my furry friends again.

From brother Jack Kelley

Q. First I would like to say that my wife and I find your essays to be very insightful. Our question for you is this, do animals go to heaven? We looked at another site that says it shows proof that they do and gave us a few verses we could look at. However, a couple of them we were able to disprove when we read the verses before and after what they had given us.

A
I too was not persuaded by the references on the website you sent me to. While there is mention of animals on Earth during the Millennium, the Bible offers no indication of animals living forever in heaven. But what little we do know about Heaven leads us to believe that when we get there, we’ll find that it contains everything necessary for our happiness, and we’ll suffer no sense of loss or regret.

Speaking of our life during this age, Isaiah 65:17 says, “The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind.” This has been interpreted as referring to any guilt or disappointment we feel concerning our failure to bring family or loved ones to a saving faith during their lifetimes, but it could also pertain to the memory of our pets.

So that leaves us with two possibilities. Either our pets will join us to insure our total happiness or every memory of them will be gone to insure that we feel no sense of loss. Either way our joy will not be diminished.
https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/pets-in-heaven/

MePlus6

This topic is close to my heart.

All the other folks here have posted some informative stuff.

I can only add one thing, and someone here posted it not long ago but I can't remember who, so I apologize for not giving credit but God loves animals too. He created them.

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
Thanks for the responses! Like I thought going in, the consensus seems to be that it's within God's character to reunite us with our pets but the bible obviously doesn't say anything specifically about that. I'm sure God knows how much we love our pets and like meplus6 pointed out he loves them too. I also remembered recently that caring deeply for a pet isn't a recent phenomenon, because of story of the lamb told to king David:

"but the poor man had nothing except one little ewe lamb he had bought. He raised it, and it grew up with him and his children. It shared his food, drank from his cup and even slept in his arms. It was like a daughter to him" (2 Samuel 12:3)

Even though this was a metaphor, David's reaction to the situation makes it seem like they cared just as much then about pets as we do now

lamborgini

Here’s what we know: God wants us to choose Him for HIM, not because we will see our pets (etc). However, I do believe that He gives us hints on His feelings for our beloved fur family. After all, they belong to Him, we are just stewards.

1) He surrounded Adam, with animals.
2) He surrounded Noah, with animals.
3) He surrounded Jesus, with animals, and, as you referenced, Jesus comes back on a white horse. ..He could choose a car, a cloud, or a pillar of fire, but he chooses an animal.
4) We are also called to preach the Gospel to “all of creation.” To me, that includes our pets, and although they don’t need a savior because they didn’t “fall” (we did), they’re still under the curse until they are also redeemed (when God rights the world).

God seems to have a special place in His heart for His animals. They have a purpose: to teach us unconditional love, trust, patience, etc.. but they serve a broken master (us). Our Master will NEVER fail us. Ever.

So, although it’s not specifically stated, I do believe that God gives us hints so we can have peace about it. I do feel in my bones that I’ll be reunited with pets I’ve had to say goodbye to. God is good, and He loves His creation (and pets) even more than I ever could. There’s no question there.

The book “Heaven” by Randy Alcorn is a great read and has a chapter on pets.

Hugs to you.

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
Good thread. Just fyi we had a similar thread almost three years ago: https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/threads/does-every-living-thing-have-a-soul.103205/ . It might have some interesting input.

Thanks, I took the time and read through it. I appreciate what people have said that in heaven we won't be disappointed no matter how things turn out because disappointment is a result of sin, but at the same time I honestly still feel distressed over this and a couple other things as well. As much as I would like to get my anxiety over the topic in line with what I'm sure is the reality I can't quite convince my emotions to follow logic here. This topic, lack of marriage in heaven, and heavenly rewards just seem to distress me when I think about them and I don't know how to stop feeling like that. I realize we don't have the same perspective now that we will then, but at the same time the perspective I have now is the only perspective I have now, if that makes sense.

Thanks though to everyone who has posted! I appreciate everyone's input

mattfivefour

Salluz, my heart goes out to you. I lost my first beloved wife eleven years ago after 41 years, 2 months of marriage. The thought that we would no longer be married in Heaven at first drove me to despair. But then I came to realize that in Heaven we will have an even MORE intimate relationship thanb we had on earth, because we will that most intimate relationship with EVERY single person there. It will be like one gigantic, perfect spiritual marriage in which pure love continually flows between each one of us. There we will recognize the perfection we can only partially and imperfectly catch a slight glimpse of here.

And just over three years ago God gave me another godly woman to walk beside me and love me and be a partner in the ministry He prepared for both of us. So, I am finally able to set aside my earthly, fleshly feelings and realize the truth that THERE we will be nothing but perfectly happy. That's what HE says, and I believe Him. So I cast down reasonings and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of who God is and what He is like and I now bring every thought into obedience to Christ. He grants us that ability when we consciously decide to follow Him and believe Him in everything. Keep walking with Him, my brother, keep seeking to love Him more. He will provide the means and will give you the peace and joy in ALL things that you desire.

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
Salluz, my heart goes out to you. I lost my first beloved wife eleven years ago after 41 years, 2 months of marriage. The thought that we would no longer be married in Heaven at first drove me to despair. But then I came to realize that in Heaven we will have an even MORE intimate relationship thanb we had on earth, because we will that most intimate relationship with EVERY single person there. It will be like one gigantic, perfect spiritual marriage in which pure love continually flows between each one of us. There we will recognize the perfection we can only partially and imperfectly catch a slight glimpse of here.

And just over three years ago God gave me another godly woman to walk beside me and love me and be a partner in the ministry He prepared for both of us. So, I am finally able to set aside my earthly, fleshly feelings and realize the truth that THERE we will be nothing but perfectly happy. That's what HE says, and I believe Him. So I cast down reasonings and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of who God is and what He is like and I now bring every thought into obedience to Christ. He grants us that ability when we consciously decide to follow Him and believe Him in everything. Keep walking with Him, my brother, keep seeking to love Him more. He will provide the means and will give you the peace and joy in ALL things that you desire.

Thank you for the wonderful advice and for sharing your story with me. I have to admit that after hearing what you've gone through there I just find myself as whiny because of my own fears because I'm coming from the opposite direction. I haven't had the chance to marry yet and with a world that seems ripe for a myriad of end times prophesies to transpire I feel more and more like I won't be able to at all before we're called home. That being said I feel a sense of loss right now thinking that I won't have the chance to marry my current girlfriend and eventually have children because that's something I really desire. The person I'm in a relationship with now has been a wonderful blessing in my life, and as I've tried to teach her about Jesus (she's a relatively new Christian from just around when we started dating a year and a half-ish ago) I've learned so much because she's been a motivation for me to start studying the bible in earnest. Although we aren't married yet she's by far my closest friend, and I feel a sense of loss over the life we could have. Like I said I feel like in comparison to your life, where you actually experienced a loss that the thought of for myself has kept me up all night with anxiety at times, makes me sound incredibly whiny and immature to myself. I feel a sense of loss for what I've never had but can see as a possibility right in front of me, if that makes sense. It's probably just a sense of entitlement my generation is known for if I'm being honest with myself, but that's where I'm coming from and I haven't actually experienced any loss yet, it's just the thought of never having what I desire there.

Sorry that that turned into a rant. My thoughts are messy, but I hope this can be useful for myself to learn (it already has been with the advice here) and possibly if anyone else is in a similar situation to myself I hope it can help them.

BarbT

Will our pets be in Heaven? No one knows the answer for certain but I believe it's yes -- not because "I" want it to be so but simply because of God's character. :)

In Heaven we'll enjoy many familiar elements of creation that we've enjoyed here. Water will rush through streams. Beautiful Music will fill our ears. Gold will cover the streets. Most important, Love will abound.

That's why it never made sense to me that out of all this abundance our Holy & Loving God would deny His children a gift that had given them so much unconditional love & joy while on earth.

No one has ever been able to offer a convincing reason why the Author of Miracles -- who is so far above our understanding -- would refuse to restore part of His own creation to those who humbly ask.

God says He wants to give us the desire of our hearts. Therefore I encourage Christian pet parents to pour their hearts out to Him on this subject ... then be at peace and never worry about it again. We'll all know the answer soon. :catball:cliff

Kerbluey

Thank you for the wonderful advice and for sharing your story with me. I have to admit that after hearing what you've gone through there I just find myself as whiny because of my own fears because I'm coming from the opposite direction. I haven't had the chance to marry yet and with a world that seems ripe for a myriad of end times prophesies to transpire I feel more and more like I won't be able to at all before we're called home. That being said I feel a sense of loss right now thinking that I won't have the chance to marry my current girlfriend and eventually have children because that's something I really desire. The person I'm in a relationship with now has been a wonderful blessing in my life, and as I've tried to teach her about Jesus (she's a relatively new Christian from just around when we started dating a year and a half-ish ago) I've learned so much because she's been a motivation for me to start studying the bible in earnest. Although we aren't married yet she's by far my closest friend, and I feel a sense of loss over the life we could have. Like I said I feel like in comparison to your life, where you actually experienced a loss that the thought of for myself has kept me up all night with anxiety at times, makes me sound incredibly whiny and immature to myself. I feel a sense of loss for what I've never had but can see as a possibility right in front of me, if that makes sense. It's probably just a sense of entitlement my generation is known for if I'm being honest with myself, but that's where I'm coming from and I haven't actually experienced any loss yet, it's just the thought of never having what I desire there.

Sorry that that turned into a rant. My thoughts are messy, but I hope this can be useful for myself to learn (it already has been with the advice here) and possibly if anyone else is in a similar situation to myself I hope it can help them.

This is kind of the downside of the end times subject. I grew up hearing that Jesus was coming soon. I assumed I’d never live my full life. That depressed me for a long time, and I saw no point in pursuing things like an education. I’m now 51 and regret those decisions. He could certainly come back tomorrow. Or it may be 100 years from now. My mom, who is now 72, experienced the same thing back in the 1940’s, 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, and so on. I guess my point is we have no idea, so try to live your life assuming you’ll live a long one. I’ll be honest and say I don’t mind if He doesn’t come back in my lifetime as I have loved ones I worry about. And to be totally honest I worry what will happen to our 5 kitties if we vanished.

Andy C

This is kind of the downside of the end times subject. I grew up hearing that Jesus was coming soon. I assumed I’d never live my full life. That depressed me for a long time, and I saw no point in pursuing things like an education. I’m now 51 and regret those decisions. He could certainly come back tomorrow. Or it may be 100 years from now. My mom, who is now 72, experienced the same thing back in the 1940’s, 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, and so on. I guess my point is we have no idea, so try to live your life assuming you’ll live a long one. I’ll be honest and say I don’t mind if He doesn’t come back in my lifetime as I have loved ones I worry about. And to be totally honest I worry what will happen to our 5 kitties if we vanished.
Amen. We often times think we know when He will come for us, but we truly have no real clues. I know at times I can be guilty of trying to force current events in to fulfillment of biblical prophecy.

We the church are already living for eternity, only thing that happens upon the death of our body is a divine relocation!

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God

Thanks for being honest. I'm sorry that you've suffered in that regard. I often find myself either going one way or another, looking forward to the rapture so much that I stop caring about other things in my life, or caring too much about other things to look forward to the rapture. I find it hard to find a medium between occupying and being about God's business and looking up, if that makes sense. I really get what you're saying about planning ahead for the future like it will be a long one, but I wonder how far that goes. For instance (and I'm sure this isn't what you are proposing, I'm just giving an example of someone in my life) a friend of mine likes to say that she doesn't think Jesus will return for at least a hundred years or more. She's gotten heavily involved into the "Save the planet from global warming" movement, and a lot of liberal ideas along with it. I guess there just needs to be a balance struck between planning like there will be a tomorrow here on earth for us, and looking up and longing for Jesus'return? I've never been good with striking a balance. And then there is that issue you mentioned with unsaved loved ones. I empathize fully there, as the majority of people I've known for most of my life still haven't accepted Jesus as far as I know, and that thought brings me great distress.

Also about the cats (I also have some cats: two living with my grandparents that I adore; I used to have three but one accidentally drowned in her pond during the winter because it broke through the ice... That's just an aside and isn't really relevant, just sharing that I'm a cat lover too), I read an idea online that I thought was neat, I think it was from Jack Kelley, but I'm not sure. He said it could be a good opportunity for witness to talk to a trusted co-worker or someone you know that isn't saved and ask them to take care of your pets for you if you and a bunch of other people disappear, and use that to share the gospel. Either way, you've shared the gospel, and even if they don't accept Jesus as their savior you would have someone to take care of your beloved pets for you for at least a little into the tribulation. Just an idea I thought I would pass along since that weighs heavily on your mind.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I am sorry for your loss :console and hope my post will be of some comfort:

I know our pets will be in heaven :smile

13 And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.
Revelation 5:13, KJV

4 All the earth shall worship thee, and shall sing unto thee; they shall sing to thy name. Selah.
Psalm 66:4, KJV

1 Praise ye the Lord. Praise ye the Lord from the heavens: praise him in the heights.
2 Praise ye him, all his angels: praise ye him, all his hosts.
3 Praise ye him, sun and moon: praise him, all ye stars of light.
4 Praise him, ye heavens of heavens, and ye waters that be above the heavens.
5 Let them praise the name of the Lord: for he commanded, and they were created.
6 He hath also stablished them for ever and ever: he hath made a decree which shall not pass.
7 Praise the Lord from the earth, ye dragons, and all deeps:
8 Fire, and hail; snow, and vapours; stormy wind fulfilling his word:
9 Mountains, and all hills; fruitful trees, and all cedars:
10 Beasts, and all cattle; creeping things, and flying fowl:
11 Kings of the earth, and all people; princes, and all judges of the earth:
12 Both young men, and maidens; old men, and children:
13 Let them praise the name of the Lord: for his name alone is excellent; his glory is above the earth and heaven.
14 He also exalteth the horn of his people, the praise of all his saints; even of the children of Israel, a people near unto him. Praise ye the Lord.
Psalm 148, KJV

6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.
7 And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.
8 And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den.
9 They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea.
Isaiah 11:6-9

The Rainbow Bridge website has a thoughtful page about animals in heaven:

https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/Grief_Support_Center/Grief_Support/scripture.htm

Blessings and hugs :hug

:pray :amen

Last edited by a moderator:

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God

13 And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.

4 All the earth shall worship thee, and shall sing unto thee; they shall sing to thy name. Selah.

1 Praise ye the Lord. Praise ye the Lord from the heavens: praise him in the heights.
5 Let them praise the name of the Lord: for he commanded, and they were created.
6 He hath also stablished them for ever and ever: he hath made a decree which shall not pass.
13 Let them praise the name of the Lord: for his name alone is excellent; his glory is above the earth and heaven.
14 He also exalteth the horn of his people, the praise of all his saints; even of the children of Israel, a people near unto him. Praise ye the Lord.
Psalm 148, KJV

6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.
7 And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.
8 And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den.
9 They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea.

Thanks for the blessings and hugs. Also, I love the psalm about everything praising God. When I hear amazing things like birds singing and bugs chirping that's what I think of. I know it serves as a form of communication between animals too, but I can't see why it couldn't be both! I love listening to recordings of whales too for the same reason. Awe inspiring.

For the Isaiah passage, though, I was under the impression that was about earth during the millennium. Is there anything scriptually to indicate the New Jeruslam will have the same features? Thanks again though, I love the verses you posted. I'll check out the website as soon as I get the chance

Andy C

Psalm 148, KJV

I hope you are right, but I dont find anything in the scripture you posted that would allow you to KNOW our pets will be in Heaven.

The me now, longs to be with my former pets in Heaven. The future new me, in my glorified body could have a completely different view on the importance of pets from my former fleshy self.

Back