• Amplified Bible (AB)

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Combination of different versions I will provide my answer

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • Other versions I will provide my answer

Votes: 22 22.9%

• Total voters

graceforme2014

The following is one of the main reasons I use only the KJV Bible.

THEE'S-N-THOU'S

Ye, You, Est, Eth, and Italics

Thous=subject of a verb "Thou shalt not kill"

Thee - object of a verb "Make thee an ark of gopher wood"

Ye - subject of a verb "Have ye not read?"

You - object of a verb "For I give you good doctrine"

Thee, thou, thy, thine and thyself - singular pronouns beginning with T

Ye, you, your, yours, and yourselves - plural pronouns beginning with Y

Thee's and you's distinguish who is present for the context. If all thee's are change to you the reader may not understand if it is speaking of one or many, and can make the context confusing. Thee's and Ye's make the Bible more accurate and easier to understand.

NKJV, which is probably the closest to the KJV makes the above changes frequently. I'll just stick with my good old KJV, even in this modern world.

Last edited:

Scotographer

χριστου δουλος
Currently I am using ESV.

But...

I correct it to KJV/NKJV reading in places.

And whenever I have doubt as to who is being referred to, as graceforme2014 pointed out, I reach to the other side of the desk and open my KJV to get the "thees and thous" for clarification.

Yffad kcud

There are so many choices in Bibles. Personally I was raised in a Christian home. My parents were ministers and since I was a child I read either the AV1611 or KJV very similar with a few differences. I was in the world for a while but GOD had mercy on me and spared my life so many times. Its been a year since I started my walk with Christ again, it has been a rough road but GOD is working with me. I have been reading the Bible started using the NIV version its easier to read but I notice there are a few things missing and some meaningful tones are left out. As a child I read the Bible so many times read the New Testament a few times and the majority of the Old Testament so lots of the Bible has been ingrained in my mind. I really like the NIV easy read but feel the KJV is what I should use as well. Im not here trying to debate the which version is best to use issue. I have done research online and have found numerous opinions regarding modern translation. As Believers we know that satan is a liar and likes to confuse people wether born again or not to the point that we forget the ultimate goal, which is to serve GOD Almighty and get to heaven.

I would like opinions on using the Bible, not a debate on versions, but rather an explanation on your Bible or Bibles of choice and your reading habits including if you ever compare scriptures between different translations.

For me using an easy understandable version is very appealing. I will continue using the NIV but I will also use the AV1611 KJV and the NKJV but ultimately relying on the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
It's alarming how many here seem not to understand that there's two places that your scripture will originate from
I will not say here how to find the path as I do not seek to show direction but just leave it for you to find the truth
There's an easy way to seek and you will become thoroughly convinced when you see the corruption that is prevalent

mattfivefour

Oh, we understand the two manuscript streams (and actually there are three). And we are not troubled by them. They all contain God's Word. And I can assure you after more than 40 years of study that ALL sound translations, regardless of manuscript tradition, can be reliably used by Christians "for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness." I can also assure you that there is absolutely NOTHING on this topic that you can tell us that most of us do not already know. This is a well-visited topic here and a well-worn path.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I think the KJV is suitable for anything. It's the one I grew up with and the one I only use. You can find things wrong with any version. Everyone has their own preference. I've seen pages really critical of the NIV and how it is satan's tool.

So, this is why we don't get into these arguments here. As long as you are not using a paraphrase or one of the satanic versions like the Message or Queen James bible you are fine. JMHO.

RonJohnSilver

For personal study, I use either the NIV, which I've had for years and since it's coming apart, I have now switched to a Life Application Christian Standard Bible (formerly the HCSB, publisher Holman dropped the 'H'). That's for ease of reading and I like the Life Application Notes. I also teach Sunday School in my church and so for lesson preparation, I also use several other versions, NKJV, NASB for clarity and comparison. As others have noted, the version that you will read is the proper version for you.

RonJohnSilver

fyi....I work part time at Lifeway Christian Books and if there is one in your area, you might stop there or call. They (we) price match so if you find it cheaper at Amazon, Lifeway will match the price even if they have to order it. Lifeway doesn't charge shipping, at least mine doesn't. I don't think any of them do.

Kim Stuever

I feel a little less scholarly than most of you here. I grew up reading KJV. I like it. I have memorized some scriptures through the years through it.

I find myself confused when someone is teaching with another version, not that they are wrong (except the message and the one that makes Jesus a woman) there may be more, I don't know.

But I can't seem to follow where they are in the scripture, some versions are way different from the KJV. I find myself looking for the scripture instead of listening to the message. :) Since I want to make sure I'm listening to the word of God and not some man made doctrine, it confuses me. Only because I'm not familiar to it.

I do see the value in looking at other versions, it can add clarity. I think understanding of the original Greek and Hebrew is always most beneficial.

Not that it's the best way, but I use the Blue Letter Bible (KJV) and use the Strong's Concordance tool there. It helps me to understand specific words, however not phrases. I also like the the reference tool at Blue Letter, it gives a plethora of scriptures to go to that help you understand the meaning of the verse you are reading.

Oooops sorry a bit off topic. :)

So, what where the Bibles that were best for understanding the Hebrew text?

Last edited:

Jonathan

The following is one of the main reasons I use only the KJV Bible.

THEE'S-N-THOU'S

Ye, You, Est, Eth, and Italics

Thous=subject of a verb "Thou shalt not kill"

Thee - object of a verb "Make thee an ark of gopher wood"

Ye - subject of a verb "Have ye not read?"

You - object of a verb "For I give you good doctrine"

Thee, thou, thy, thine and thyself - singular pronouns beginning with T

Ye, you, your, yours, and yourselves - plural pronouns beginning with Y

Thee's and you's distinguish who is present for the context. If all thee's are change to you the reader may not understand if it is speaking of one or many, and can make the context confusing. Thee's and Ye's make the Bible more accurate and easier to understand.

NKJV, which is probably the closest to the KJV makes the above changes frequently. I'll just stick with my good old KJV, even in this modern world.

Wow that is really cool because I didn't know about the last two (the Thee, thou.. etc being singular and the Ye, you. etc being plural). That't a game changer. Not to be too irreverent, but someone has to come out with a Southern Dialect Bible... because our singular and plurals are far superior to the north east. When they say "You" we have no idea if they are talkin' single or plural like. But for us Suthners' it's real simple. "You" is singular. "Y'all" is plural. I rekin' it to be a far superior system.

Seriously though, thanks for the education. I really didn't know that about the last two items.

Back