• Amplified Bible (AB)

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Combination of different versions I will provide my answer

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • Other versions I will provide my answer

Votes: 22 22.9%

• Total voters

KR McKay

My preference is the NKJV, although I picked up a "Couple's Devotional" Bible at the local Goodwill store, and it is NIV. So, I do read the devotional from it every day, and then I follow its "Read the Bible in a Year" outline in the back every day, reading the prescribed passages from the NIV. However, I then go back to the NKJV for my other, daily readings. The NIV is easier to read, for certain, but there is something about the "sound" (in my mind) of the NKJV that helps remind me of the absolute MAJESTY of our Almighty God! Not that it really matters to HIM, of course, but it does keep me properly oriented!

WordDivine

I have been using YouVersion Bible app wow it's so easy to compare Bible translations and it helps me understand certain passages better :)

Sent from my iPhone the power of the Jedi

Robert

Other Versions: I will provide my answer:

I use the King James Version : not the 21st Century KJV or the NKJV, but the KJV at Bible Gateway.

All modern Bibles are in error in Romans 8:26-27 by making the Holy Spirit another Mediator in making these intercessions Himself when the KJV used "itself" to explain that the Holy Spirit makes INDIRECT intercessions by the Son, Jesus Christ, searching our hearts and knowing the mind of the Spirit without any sound being uttered at all.

This keeps in line with scripture as to why the Father will be glorified in the Son for Him in answering prayers and so only HE can make these intercessions: John 14:13-14

Plus: it explains why the Father knows before we ask anything in prayer: Matthew 6:7-8

Those that are in error, thinking that the supernatural tongues that they have is God's gift of tongues to be used as a prayer language are not seeing how modern Bibles are in error and are not lining up with the rest of scripture. We are to prove all things and abstain from all appearances of evil and that includes the supernatural tongues that is found in the world's religions, occults, and even cults in christianity before God's actual gift of tongues had come which is of other men's lips.

Better to not let your normal prayer be interrrupted by vain and profane babblings so that you would know what you had prayed for to give thanks to God the Father in Jesus's name for answered prayers than not know what you had prayed for and thus robbing God oif the opportunity as well as the glory to answer prayers.

God doesn't need secret communication to hide from the devil when the devil cannot do anything unless God permits it as the book of Job teaches us.

The indwelling Holy Spirit only speaks what He hears ( John 16:13) and so the need for the Holy Spirit repeating back to God a prayer is redundant and moot.

Jesus is able to be our only Mediator between God and man, specified as the man Christ Jesus: 1 Timothy 2:5

When Jesus said that He is the only way to the Father, He means it. That is why there are no invitations to the Holy Spirit because the indwelling Holy Spirit is still pointing us to the Son in relating to God the Father by because that is why Jesus is called the Bridegroom as we are the bride: chaste in that regard, so that we may not believe every spirit, but test them, so as to avoid false spirits as well as false prophets.

So that is why I prefer and rely on the KJV for themeat of His words to discern good and evil in these latter days as modern Bibles have changed the message in them: declining from the testimony of the Son in giving the glory of that testimony to the Holy Spirit or like in 1 Peter 4:19 to the suffering believer in doing good when it is about how well our faithful Creator is keeping our souls while we suffer.

Since we are led by the Holy Spirit to testify of the Son: John 15:26-27 in seeking the glory of the Son : John 16:14 & John 7:18, then that is the mind of Christ we are to have: Philippians 2:5-11 because the will of God is fixated on which is the standard of jusgment hanging over every believer which is by honouring the Son and by doing so: we are honouring the Father: John 5:22-23 That is how God the Father is glorified: John 13:31-32 & John 17:1-5.

So when modern Bibles defer from the glory of that testimony regarding the Son and the KJV is keeping that testimony, then I would rather lean on the Lord for wisdom in understanding His words in the KJV, than all of man's attempts in making the Bible easier to read since the message has been lost in translation whereas the small leaven has leavened into the whole lump of false teachings & apostasy.

Keeping the faith is the good fight. Serving the Lord Jesus Christ in seeking His glory is what we as witnesses are called to do so that by Him, the Father is glorified as well. The KJV does that. Amen.

Normally, I would debate you. But it would be "unchristian" for me to disagree with you, so have at it. I wouldn't want to offend anyone, now would I?

mattfivefour

Brother, you did a little more than merely give your personal reason for why you prefer the AV. You took to a bit of a pulpit. That said, I am not going to engage in—nor permit others to engage in—yet another vain argument over the KJV here. You have beliefs that satisfy you. And since this is not an issue related to salvation ... let's everybody please move on.

I use the King James Authorized version....because i believe it to be the INERRANT, INFALLIBLE, INSPIRED Word of the living God.

God's Words are "pure words;as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. thou shalt keep them, o,Lord, thou shalt preserve them from this generation forever."

If God hasn't preserved His Word, then what kind of God do we serve? Think about it.

Robert

I use the King James Authorized version....because i believe it to be the INERRANT, INFALLIBLE, INSPIRED Word of the living God.

God's Words are "pure words;as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. thou shalt keep them, o,Lord, thou shalt preserve them from this generation forever."

If God hasn't preserved His Word, then what kind of God do we serve? Think about it.

He did, and He did so in several versions.

The thing that some forget is that the KJV at one time was a "new translation" itself. Latin, the language that the Vulgate had been translated, was not spoken by the masses. Several, such as Tynsdale, translated scripture, but King James commissioned a translation that anyone who spoke English could read at that time.

That said, the KJV, reliable for it's time, was not at fault. Language evolves, and just as people didn't speak Greek, Aramaic and Hebrew largely, and didn't speak Latin on a broad scale, now had a great deal of trouble understanding the Old English. I believe the Lord to have caused several translations to arise, each speaking to the human race in a way they could understand by putting the Word in a way of speaking they could "get". Now, this doesn't mean that versions like the New World Translation and "The Message" are reliable (one is rewritten for the Jehovah's witnesses and the other is a human paraphrase that gets "boggy"), but in NO Bible version will you find it saying that Satan died for our sins or that Jesus fell from heaven!!!

Yes, God did indeed preserve His word; and if we think He could do it on only one version, then we are seriously limiting His power.

I am not trying to convince you in this reply to use anything but your KJV: it's fine, I've read and enjoyed it for several years and if it works for you, great! But please don't insinuate that by default, any other version is "fake". Unless it deliberately rewords scripture and distorts the truth, then the Lord knows about it and is not vexed.

WordDivine

Personally I want to thank everyone that responded to my question. I have learned a few things by using different versions an helps me grasp the Word much better. I believe that reading the Bible God is the ultimate translator to your soul and spirit. After all God does work in mysterious ways.

WordDivine

I have been using the Bible app on my phone and its awsone to read different translation both English and Spanish it really helps me take the Word in much better

DanLMP

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but a great resource is BIBLEHUB.com.
They have most versions plus an interlinear.
In addition you can do a lot of research right at the site.

RonJohnSilver

Full disclosure: I attend a non-denominational Bible church and teach Sunday School. Here are most of my sources for my classes and personal use..... Ryrie Study Bible(NIV), The Bible Knowledge Commentary (Walvoord & Zuck), The Nelson Study Bible (NKJV), The Wiersby Bible Commentary, The Wycliffe Bible Commentary, The MacArthur Study Bible, (NKJV). On-line sources include, but are not limited to Grace Thru Faith, Koinonia House, Bible.org, Bible Knowledge; on-line sermons.... Community Bible Chapel (Richardson, Texas), Harvest Family Fellowship (Reno, Nv), Grace Life Ministries, Harvest Bible Church (Houston, Tx), Study Notes of Dr. Thomas Constable, Things to Come (J.Dwight Pentecost), Basic Theology (Thomas Ryrie), Footsteps of the Messiah (Arnold Fructenbaum),the Audio Bible (Alexander Scourby), Raptureforums....wait, that's us!...and various others as needed. More than you asked for, I know.:hat:

Hol

Worships Him
Or as my Grandfather always used to say:

We should all speak and read the bible in the language that Jesus spoke when He walked the earth.

Norwegian :thumbup

I like your grandpa!!

But 'every kindred, every tribe...' so I'll need to learn a little Norwegian & maybe he can learn a little native American (Interior Salish) so we can swap favorite verses.

I love/use these: NAS, ASV (1901), KJV, ESV, NIV, NET (except their OT), several Hebrew/English transliterations (especially an odd one printed in S. Africa that I love for reference). Two I do not especially like: NRSV & Peshitta NT. Taking in Hebrew, baby-steps, is the best for me!

Back