1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now Your Embarrassing/Job-Threatening Facebook Photos Could Haunt You For Seven Years

Discussion in 'Electronics, Computers & Webpage Questions' started by Meg, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Meg

Meg Well-Known Member

Now Your Embarrassing/Job-Threatening Facebook Photos Could Haunt You For Seven Years - Kashmir Hill - The Not-So Private Parts - Forbes

2. Forgiven

Forgiven Well-Known Member

I'm so boring all I ever posted are photos of skunks eating mozzarella cheese sticks and squirrels gutting a teddy bear for the fluff to make their nests :shrug

3. WhisperWisdom

WhisperWisdom Faithfully Yours Lord!

We've discussed this where I work and while I have a facebook page that I try really hard not to say anything that could be used against me for jobs, it's also tough as heck. Plus, I have an old blog that I posted on while in college years ago. Oh dear....:lol:

Once it's out there, it's pretty much out there for life and beyond. Just gotta be careful that you don't say anything that the govt could use against you. Which would be pretty much everything....

4. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

I wonder how/if they try to sort out falsehoods against me posted by others?

5. nillapoet

nillapoet Well-Known Member

How does it work if your profile is private?

6. Ducati

Ducati Well-Known Member

Its the Matrix I tell you.

[YOU TUBE VIDEO]te6qG4yn-Ps[/YOU TUBE VIDEO]

7. FaithInChrist

FaithInChrist Well-Known Member

Google yourself and see what all you can find. You would be surprised at how much is out there if you use your real name on anything. If you google your username even the things you put on RF will come up. Anything that is written in a passworded forum or privacy protected might yield nothing, or it might bring up the log in page, letting the employer know there is "stuff" linked to your name out there, but they cannot see what.

My old employer used to do the "google" searches on job applicants, it's very common. Guess what?? The guys and girls half-naked, partying and obviously drunk in every picture never got hired. My daughter will graduate in a year. I told her she needs to get her facebook cleaned up and delete all her partying pictures, or even delete that old account and make a new one, and be picky about the friends you have, because not only will prospective employers snoop on you, they will snoop on your friends too, don't think you are not judged by the people you are "friends" with, because your prospective employer doesn't know you haven't hung out with the long-haired, stoner dude for over 20 years.

Social networking has become a dream for employers, they really can be super picky in a tight market, they can look for the cream of the crop. Also don't think having everything on "privacy" settings will make a difference. My old employer didn't even consider people that she couldn't snoop on.

It's a sad world we live in.

8. YeuEmMaiMai

YeuEmMaiMai Well-Known Member

Searched google via my name and e-mail and nothing of significance can be found about me. put my name in with the city and state and same result. no siginificant data

oh and btw friends with your employer on any social network is a GIANT NO regardless of how you feel about them.