1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Alzheimer's pill more likely to cause misery, medical experts say

Discussion in 'Anything Goes Coffee Shop' started by Meg, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Meg

Meg Well-Known Member

Alzheimer's drug Aricept 23 slammed by medical experts - latimes.com

Be careful, very careful, about letting these clowns pawn off just anything on vulnerable family members...

2. WKUHilltopper

WKUHilltopper Well-Known Member

I've been in long term care for a long time. And I'm not convinced that any medication is worth a hoot for Alzheimer's. I know most families are afraid not to give their loved ones Aricept.

Aricept is supposed to slow the circumstances of memory loss. Families are afraid NOT to use it and the drug company knows this and reaps sales from this. I mean, who wouldn't want their mother or father to enhance their live situation even temporarily? But based on my experience, it generally makes people worse, or it makes them sick and/or weak.

Even their clinical studies are inconclusive. In a way, it's a bit of a cruel trick...because families are vulnerable and afraid not to use it as I mentioned and don't want to withhold anything that may help their loved one. I'm not saying don't take it, only that it may not do a thing. No one really knows.