Cain's Wife in the Land of Nod

l4jhs

In Genesis 1:26-28 We find where God created Man, and told them to be fruitful and multiply, and replenish the earth.

In Genesis 2:7-8 we see where God created Eden, and Adam, placing him therein.

In Genesis 4:16-17 Cain goes to dwell in the Land of Nod, where he finds a wife.

Someone asked me this question;

If Adam and Eve were the first two people, and Cain and Able their sons, where did the people in the Land of Nod come from?

A member of my Church suggested that Genesis 1:26-28 refers to the "first" creation of man, and that Genesis 2:7-8 refers to a "Second" creation of man, being Adam, to tend the newly planted Garden of Eden. Therefore, the earth outside of Eden was already populated through the "First" creation of man.

I asked my Pastor about this and he does not agree with the other members reasoning.

I was wondering if anyone here could shed more light on this subject.

Thanks, in advance.

Robert

Keep in mind, Cain and Abel, while the first of Adam and Eve's childre, were probably not the last of them. In order to poulate the earth, it would have been necessary to take wives from amongst the family. (At this point, the laws given in Leviticus and Deuteronomy hadn't been given yet: keep in mind that Isaac took a wife from amongst Abraham's relatives.) Also, we aren't told at what age Cain and able were when Cain killed his kid brother, and people lived much longer in those days. SO, it is entirely possible that within a few generations, there were a great number spread throughout the area.

That's the explanation I came up with from reading scripture; if I am mistaken or missing something, forgive my ignorance.

Ruth

I have a lot of questions that I would like to have answers to when I get home. The Lord promises that all questions will be answered.

Chuck Missler made a statement that every time you find a dilemma - there is an awesome answer to it if we trust Him.

I developed a mental basket where I put all questions that I cannot find a ready answer to and leave it to Him to teach me when He has prepared my heart for the answer or a need to know situation. So far, He has amazed me as I put questions in that basket and forget about them. Then one day, I am surprised when the answer appears.

And for those the answers don't appear for - He will tell me when He is ready.

The one thing we DON'T want to do and that is to add to the scriptures what is not there.
That is how many man made doctrines have been developed and divided the body of Christ into so many denominations.

It is better to just say - we don't really know. And leave it at that.

Just my two cents.

readytogo

A member of my Church suggested that Genesis 1:26-28 refers to the "first" creation of man, and that Genesis 2:7-8 refers to a "Second" creation of man, being Adam, to tend the newly planted Garden of Eden. Therefore, the earth outside of Eden was already populated through the "First" creation of man.

Genesis 1:26-28 refers to what God did "globally". Genesis 2:7-8 is the same creation, only with more details. To your pastor's credit, he didn't agree with the "church member" and his hooey.

Keep in mind, Cain and Abel, while the first of Adam and Eve's childre, were probably not the last of them. In order to poulate the earth, it would have been necessary to take wives from amongst the family. (At this point, the laws given in Leviticus and Deuteronomy hadn't been given yet: keep in mind that Isaac took a wife from amongst Abraham's relatives.) Also, we aren't told at what age Cain and able were when Cain killed his kid brother, and people lived much longer in those days. SO, it is entirely possible that within a few generations, there were a great number spread throughout the area.

:iagree

Transformed

Regarding Gen 4:16-17, it doesn't really say that Cain "found" a wife in the land of Nod. It says he "knew" his wife. The way I understand it, he was already married when he went to Nod.

And as others here have indicated, Adam lived 930 years. Gen 5:4 says that after Seth, he had sons and daughters. And Adam/Eve were told to be fruitful and multiply! So the population of Nod had to have come from the descendants of Adam.

Regarding Gen 4:16-17, it doesn't really say that Cain "found" a wife in the land of Nod. It says he "knew" his wife. The way I understand it, he was already married when he went to Nod.

And as others here have indicated, Adam lived 930 years. Gen 5:4 says that after Seth, he had sons and daughters. And Adam/Eve were told to be fruitful and multiply! So the population of Nod had to have come from the descendants of Adam.

:iagree

l4jhs

Thanks to all for your replies.

I agree with the points you have made, that Cain's wife was also a descendant of Adam and Eve, and went with him to Nod.

I too have many questions I tell myself I will ask God when I get to Heaven. I wonder sometimes how important those questions will actually seem to me once I am standing there in His Glory. I get the feeling in my spirit that those questions will no longer matter to me at all when I see his beautiful face.

God bless you all.

mattfivefour

Thanks to all for your replies.

I agree with the points you have made, that Cain's wife was also a descendant of Adam and Eve, and went with him to Nod.

I too have many questions I tell myself I will ask God when I get to Heaven. I wonder sometimes how important those questions will actually seem to me once I am standing there in His Glory. I get the feeling in my spirit that those questions will no longer matter to me at all when I see his beautiful face.

God bless you all.

I agree with you entirely, bro! I somehow think they won't be important at all.

Adopted Son

There is so much we are not told, and we cannot even imagine every viable possibility. Soon, very soon, we will have all those answers! And I bet we will be astounded we never had any idea even close to the truth about many subjects.

Although the bible tells us God is the Creator of the universe, it doesn't tell us if any other entity tried to create life also similar in image. I have always suspected Lucifer tried to create a race of men, to prove his equal status. Doesn't mean he did, but there's much we don't know, because God chose not to reveal everything to us.

Eco

In reply to the poster above me,

There was a time on the earth when the Nephilm were present. Specifically during the time of the flood. The Nephilm were sons of God (i.e. fallen angels) bred with man, for they saw women were beautiful. The way I interpret it, if Satan had really been powerful enough to create his own semi-life, the Nephilm wouldn't really have come to be known. Or the people would've referred to Satan's quasi-creation.

Also, God is life in essence. He is a being of complete life, wholly sustained. Its my opinion that nothing and no one has the ability to "make life," being as how life itself is a blessing of our Holy Father. No blade of grass grows apart from our Father's will, and Satan may have no equal, only to be surpassed by God, but there - in my mind atleast - isn't any plausible way he could "create" anything...let alone something as awesome as something with life.

Back