doesn't 1 cor. 6:9-10 destroy eternal security?

garrya

1Co 6:9 ¶ Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
1Co 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
i believe in eternal security myself but getting beat up with verses like this makes me sometimes wonder!
like i can't make the same mistake.
oh yes that's another. did you truly repent? how can one know if he truly repents. if you did the same sin again then it's not true repentance. we are all covetous to some point.

clouds

oh yes that's another. did you truly repent? how can one know if he truly repents. if you did the same sin again then it's not true repentance. we are all covetous to some point.
You need to understand that we still have the original sin nature in us, even after the Holy Spirit places a new Godly nature in us as He makes us part of the Body of Christ. There is a constant battle/war within us between the two opposing natures. The old sin nature was nailed to the cross as Jesus took upon Himself all the sins we ever committed (or will ever commit in the future) and (Jesus) died in our deserved place for those sins. We effectively died with Jesus when we believe through the Holy Spirit that He did this for us. We are then forever saved in Jesus Christ our Lord. Any sin we might continue to commit as a born-again saint has already been paid for by Jesus. Our new Godly nature gives us the power by the Holy Spirit to fight a good battle against the old nature which still is in us until death.
See: http://www.gotquestions.org/sin-nature.html

pixelpusher

1Co 6:9 ¶ Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
1Co 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
i believe in eternal security myself but getting beat up with verses like this makes me sometimes wonder!

Please don't stop at verse 10 and forget about 11: And such were qsome of you: but rye are washed, but sye are sanctified, but tye are justified uin the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Repentance doesn't mean cessation from sin, but a change of mind about sin, seeing it as God does.

Who is unrighteous?

Andy C

Please don't stop at verse 10 and forget about 11: And such were qsome of you: but rye are washed, but sye are sanctified, but tye are justified uin the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Repentance doesn't mean cessation from sin, but a change of mind about sin, seeing it as God does.

Who is unrighteous?
I agree. Thank God we have been washed.

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!

Who is unrighteous?
Exactly how it is, and the unrighteous are those who are not saved!

Andy C

Repent is probably one of the most misunderstood words in regards to salvation. Perhaps the below from brother Jack will help answer your question.

More On The Meaning Of Repentance.
Wednesday, October 16th, 2013
Q. Recently I heard a sermon on YouTube in which the speaker pointed out that Christian behavior must change in the course of a Christian life, because the Bible states that unless we pursue holiness we won’t see Jesus Christ. The Bible reference he gave was Heb.12:14. To me this seems to contradict the position that repentance is only a change of mind and not behavior. I am aware of the fact that if you are sincere about changing your mind, it will not be long until also your behavior will change. Some things however, like deeply engraved habitual sin or even addictions, are very resilient and don’t change easily. So what do I need to tell myself and others who ask me?

A. I would respond by repeating my statement that when we recognize we are sinners and ask the Lord to save us, we have repented according to the meaning of the original Greek word. The Bible is also clear that we don’t make our selves holy, but that we are being made holy as we respond to the regenerative work of the Holy Spirit (Hebrews 10:12-14).

I believe some of the “grace plus works” folks use individual passages like Hebrews 12:14 to frighten people into making superficial external changes for fear of losing their salvation, when in fact our salvation was guaranteed from the moment we believed (Ephesians 1:13-14, 2 Cor. 1:21-22, 2 Cor. 5:5). In addition, our holiness will only be sufficient to allow us into the presence of God when we’re perfected in the resurrection/rapture. Prior to that, any change in our behavior that’s not prompted by the Holy Spirit out of gratitude for the free gift of salvation is like wood, hay, and stubble and will be burned up in the fire (1 Cor. 3:10-15).

Through out the New Testament believers are admonished to live their lives in a manner that’s pleasing to God. But in doing so, we’re only living up to what we’ve already attained (Phil. 3:16). We’re not trying to earn or keep something that could otherwise be lost.

In John 6:40 Jesus said, “For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.” Therefore our salvation is not dependent on whether we’ve achieved a sufficiently holy life, but on whether we believe that Jesus died for our sins and rose again.

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/meaning-repentance/

Andy C

What Does Repent Mean?
Wednesday, July 13th, 2016

Q. I recently found the following definition for repentance. It’s different from others I’ve seen. Can you tell me if it’s correct?

The word in the New Testament usually translated “repent” is the Greek word “metanoeo”. It means “to change your mind; reconsider; or, to think differently.” Granted, if a person changes his mind (repents) toward certain sins in his life, he may become very sorrowful and may even stop committing those sins, but this would be a result of repenting, not repentance itself.

When God tells an unsaved man to repent, He means for that man to change his mind about how to reach God and accept His way of salvation. The person must change his mind from any idea of saving himself through religion or good works, and trust Christ’s death as payment for everything he has done wrong.

A. This is a great definition and the correct one. Thank you for sending it to me. Repent means to change your mind. If you already know you’re a sinner in need of a savior, you don’t need to repent to be saved, you just need to ask Jesus to save you. If you already know your behavior is a sin, you don’t have to repent, just confess.

Many of us were taught that repenting means to stop doing something, but if that was true we’d all have to stop sinning before we could ask Jesus to save us. Since we can’t stop sinning, none of us would ever be saved.

After we’re saved the Lord sends His Holy Spirit to dwell in us and help us change our behavior, but that happens after were saved, not before, and even then we really won’t ever completely stop sinning until we’re raptured or resurrected. That’s why we’ve been saved by grace through faith, not by works. (Ephes. 2:8-9)

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/what-does-repent-mean/

Andy C

Many will try and throw some misinterpreted verses at us in an attempt to cause us to doubt our eternal salvation. Let's look at a few of the many verses that mention eternal security. There is no possible misinterpretation of the below. The message is clear. We who believe in Him have eternal life.

John 10:27-29

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.

John 6:37
All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.

John 10:28
I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.

John 5:24
Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

John 3:16
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Romans 11:29
For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.

1 John 5:13
I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.

2 Corinthians 1:22
And who has also put his seal on us and given us his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.

Ephesians 2:8
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,

Romans 8:38-39
For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

1 John 5:10-13
Whoever believes in the Son of God has the testimony in himself. Whoever does not believe God has made him a liar, because he has not believed in the testimony that God has borne concerning his Son. And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.

Philippians 1:6
And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 1:13
In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit,

Hebrews 10:14
For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.

Ephesians 4:30
And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

alishaba

I will provide a couple of observations.

1. The Bible tells us that if we confess our sins, God will forgive us (Psalm 32:1-5, I John 1:9). The Bible does not say that we have to have "true repentance" in order to have our sins forgiven. God forgives us of many sins that he knows we will do again. As long as we have our fallen sin nature in this present mortal existence, we will continue to sin.

2. I see repentance as being an integral part of the process of sanctification: the process of maturing as a Christian and becoming more Christ-like. Repentance is not an instantaneous decision. It is more of a process (often a long, rigorous process) in changing our mindset to be more pleasing to God.

Hol

Worships Him

Who is unrighteous?
This is our great comfort.

Thanks for this entire thread everyone. I read it before going to bed & had the sweetest dreams! I could hardly wait to run to my Bible when I woke up.

In reading Psalm 18 David rejoices in getting rescued through God's faithfulness & power. Today I had a better understanding, and see I have a long way to go at the same time. He endured some awful trials before that confidence of faith penned those words. I haven't been tested like him, but was able to glimpse what maturity brings -- that confidence in Jesus is developed.

DaveS

Good morning sir,

I don't post here very often but I was kinda interested in the topic. I hope I can help you view this passage in a way that will solidify your faith and bring harmony with the rest of scripture.

Something to consider when hearing criticisms from other camps, namely those who are "beating you up" with such passages, is that salvation has both a present and an eschatological climax. The eschatological climax of salvation is when the body is resurrected... and the resurrection is a theme (and a major theme of Paul's) of this letter that can't be ignored. Since the resurrection of the saints is such a defined feature of the context, and receives more attention in the letter in regards to the Kingdom later on (I Cor. 15:50), all of the available information should be considered when trying to best understand what the author is saying; the premise with the fewest assumptions is the best selection.

So humor me and attempt to interpret the passage through an eschatological hope rather than a present hope of salvation... How would the passage read? What assertions would we make? What scripture would support our assertions?

One assertion I would start with is that Paul is exhorting the church in Corinth to live up to their high calling in JesusGod-the Messiah. When we understand our current salvation we need to understand that the very term "In Christ" is a positional truth. Our position in Christ is distinguishable from our practices (ie. Phil. 1:6); justification is not given on the basis of performance in righteousness (Romans 3:20, 4:2, 10:3-4; Gal. 2:16, 3:10-11, 24, 5:4; Philippians 3:9). When Paul exhorts these believers to live up to their high calling, he's reminding them that in the resurrection, they will have a bodily nature that matches their new spiritual nature (Compare II Cor. 5:17 & I Cor. 15:42-43). Indeed, none of those negative traits listed will exist in the saint who is resurrected and inherits the Kingdom... because flesh and blood can't inherit that aspect of the Kingdom, speaking of the physical Millennial and eternal Kingdoms to come.

If you haven't spent much time investigating the Kingdom then here's a (link) to a very short essay that makes some key and concise points. Another worthy study of course would be the resurrection and the current composition of man.

Kind regards,
Dave

Terry

Many will try and throw some misinterpreted verses at us in an attempt to cause us to doubt our eternal salvation. Let's look at a few of the many verses that mention eternal security. There is no possible misinterpretation of the below. The message is clear. We who believe in Him have eternal life.

John 10:27-29

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.

John 6:37
All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.

John 10:28
I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.

John 5:24
Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

John 3:16
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Romans 11:29
For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.

1 John 5:13
I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.

2 Corinthians 1:22
And who has also put his seal on us and given us his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.

Ephesians 2:8
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,

Romans 8:38-39
For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

1 John 5:10-13
Whoever believes in the Son of God has the testimony in himself. Whoever does not believe God has made him a liar, because he has not believed in the testimony that God has borne concerning his Son. And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.

Philippians 1:6
And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 1:13
In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit,

Hebrews 10:14
For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.

Ephesians 4:30
And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
Amen!

Hol

Worships Him
Good morning sir,

I don't post here very often but I was kinda interested in the topic. I hope I can help you view this passage in a way that will solidify your faith and bring harmony with the rest of scripture.

Something to consider when hearing criticisms from other camps, namely those who are "beating you up" with such passages, is that salvation has both a present and an eschatological climax. The eschatological climax of salvation is when the body is resurrected... and the resurrection is a theme (and a major theme of Paul's) of this letter that can't be ignored. Since the resurrection of the saints is such a defined feature of the context, and receives more attention in the letter in regards to the Kingdom later on (I Cor. 15:50), all of the available information should be considered when trying to best understand what the author is saying; the premise with the fewest assumptions is the best selection.

So humor me and attempt to interpret the passage through an eschatological hope rather than a present hope of salvation... How would the passage read? What assertions would we make? What scripture would support our assertions?

One assertion I would start with is that Paul is exhorting the church in Corinth to live up to their high calling in JesusGod-the Messiah. When we understand our current salvation we need to understand that the very term "In Christ" is a positional truth. Our position in Christ is distinguishable from our practices (ie. Phil. 1:6); justification is not given on the basis of performance in righteousness (Romans 3:20, 4:2, 10:3-4; Gal. 2:16, 3:10-11, 24, 5:4; Philippians 3:9). When Paul exhorts these believers to live up to their high calling, he's reminding them that in the resurrection, they will have a bodily nature that matches their new spiritual nature (Compare II Cor. 5:17 & I Cor. 15:42-43). Indeed, none of those negative traits listed will exist in the saint who is resurrected and inherits the Kingdom... because flesh and blood can't inherit that aspect of the Kingdom, speaking of the physical Millennial and eternal Kingdoms to come.

If you haven't spent much time investigating the Kingdom then here's a (link) to a very short essay that makes some key and concise points. Another worthy study of course would be the resurrection and the current composition of man.

Kind regards,
Dave
Thank you for that link DaveS, excellent material, and the essay is well worth the quick read.

Terry

Good morning sir,

Kind regards,
Dave
Certainly a well done study in the link as you say, "key and concise points". Thanks. You should post more often.

Back