Archeological Opportunity In Israel

Walter Kerr

This morning I saw a video about an interesting project in Israel concerning the Temple Mount. It appears that many years ago an illegal excavation took place on the Temple Mount.

A huge pit had been illegally bulldozed deep into the Temple Mount and about 400 truckloads of soil, saturated with archaeological artefacts, were dumped in the Kedron Valley.

An archeologist examined the dumps and realised that they could be a treasure trove of information about the Temple Mount.

Ever since teams of volunteers, and you could be one of them, have been sifting through the “rubbish” and making remarkable finds showing the Jewish history of the area.

Here is a video explaining the work.

Walter Kerr

I would love to be there, but can't afford to go
I know exactly what you mean Hol.

I saw the city of Jerusalem from Jordan once but, surprise, surprise, there was a war happening and I could not get across the border. That was in 1977 and I have never had the chance since (nor the funding).

My sister was there a few weeks ago and her stories are something of a comfort, but not much!

Watching and Waiting

I know exactly what you mean Hol.

I saw the city of Jerusalem from Jordan once but, surprise, surprise, there was a war happening and I could not get across the border. That was in 1977 and I have never had the chance since (nor the funding).

My sister was there a few weeks ago and her stories are something of a comfort, but not much!
Oh that would be very interesting, how fortunate are they, that can go.
Walter, can you please share how your sister liked the trip, what she thought and noticed please? :thankyou

Walter Kerr

Walter, can you please share how your sister liked the trip, what she thought and noticed please?
You have condemned me to some hard labour W & W but I am very happy to be so condemned. I just rang my sister and asked her “What two things impressed you the most in Israel?” She had been there for two months so had a lot of memories and experiences, but here is her reply.

Her instant response was “Jacobs Well.” She told me that the well is very narrow at the top explaining that if you made a circle with your arms outstretched so that your finger tips met, then that’s about how big it is.

She explained that there was some sort of a priest there and he showed them a glass of water drawn from the well. He tipped it down the well and my sister said that it took forever to splash into the water below. My sister immediately said aloud, “Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep.”

My sister said that she was overwhelmed by her feelings at that moment for it all rang so true for her. “The well is deep.” I hasten to say that my sister is NOT ignorant of the Scriptures and BELIEVES them totally, but “it all rang so true” she said and that is, of course, what she expected. The attending Priest knew that he had someone who knew the Bible and was afterwards very attentive to my sister and her husband.

She then wandered up to the little town where the Samaritan woman lived and where Jesus stayed for a few days and, for them, it was quite an emotional time to be where Jesus was and to be at the well.

Her next favourite moment was at Caesarea Philippi. She then referred to the following passage, “When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?" (Matt 16:13)

My sister said to me, “I always wondered why Jesus asked that question.” To be honest, I have never once wondered about that question but my sister is quite a “wonderer” about all sorts of things, so I was not surprised by her statement.

Then she said “I was thinking about those words of Jesus and suddenly a feeling of awe overcame me for all around me on the walls at Caesarea Philippi were carvings of various “gods.” At that instant the question that Jesus asked seemed so pertinent. Here was Jesus and His disciples surrounded by all these gods and so He asked, “Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?” To my sister it seemed the most natural question to ask.

By then she was warming up, the floodgates were about to open and with me standing right in front of them. (This is an aside: as I was typing the sentence above the phone rang and it was her overwhelmed by all sort of memories. I won’t say what they were for it would take forever.)

So W&W, those were her first thoughts and I know that she is, right at this very moment, reliving many more. I just know that the phone will ring again soon.

She is a darling sister and a blessing from the Lord to many people.

Thanks W & W for your question, it made my morning.

Watching and Waiting

Oh Walter, thank you so much for sharing. I was blessed to be able to be there with her while you related her visit. Please share more if you feel to, thank you so much.
I do understand about about things really clicking for you, it is such a personal moment just between you and God. Thank you. :)

The way it clicked for your sister reminded me of an experience I had in Myers (a department store in Australia), it was before I was saved and I picked up an angel wearing a dark green robe, blowing a trumpet and I thought to myself, I wonder if that was what it was really like when Jesus was born, were angels really excited, did they have a celebration over it? And there in the Christmas display in Myers, I knew they did, I had this odd peaceful silence in me and I absolutely knew. I bought the angel and it is displayed every year. The neatest part of that to me, was realising later the Holy Spirit had been working in me, I was not saved then, and wasn't for a long while after.

Timna

This morning I saw a video about an interesting project in Israel concerning the Temple Mount. It appears that many years ago an illegal excavation took place on the Temple Mount.

A huge pit had been illegally bulldozed deep into the Temple Mount and about 400 truckloads of soil, saturated with archaeological artefacts, were dumped in the Kedron Valley.

An archeologist examined the dumps and realised that they could be a treasure trove of information about the Temple Mount.

Ever since teams of volunteers, and you could be one of them, have been sifting through the “rubbish” and making remarkable finds showing the Jewish history of the area.

Here is a video explaining the work.

WKUHilltopper

You have condemned me to some hard labour W & W but I am very happy to be so condemned. I just rang my sister and asked her “What two things impressed you the most in Israel?” She had been there for two months so had a lot of memories and experiences, but here is her reply.

Her instant response was “Jacobs Well.” She told me that the well is very narrow at the top explaining that if you made a circle with your arms outstretched so that your finger tips met, then that’s about how big it is.

She explained that there was some sort of a priest there and he showed them a glass of water drawn from the well. He tipped it down the well and my sister said that it took forever to splash into the water below. My sister immediately said aloud, “Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep.”

My sister said that she was overwhelmed by her feelings at that moment for it all rang so true for her. “The well is deep.” I hasten to say that my sister is NOT ignorant of the Scriptures and BELIEVES them totally, but “it all rang so true” she said and that is, of course, what she expected. The attending Priest knew that he had someone who knew the Bible and was afterwards very attentive to my sister and her husband.

She then wandered up to the little town where the Samaritan woman lived and where Jesus stayed for a few days and, for them, it was quite an emotional time to be where Jesus was and to be at the well.

Her next favourite moment was at Caesarea Philippi. She then referred to the following passage, “When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?" (Matt 16:13)

My sister said to me, “I always wondered why Jesus asked that question.” To be honest, I have never once wondered about that question but my sister is quite a “wonderer” about all sorts of things, so I was not surprised by her statement.

Then she said “I was thinking about those words of Jesus and suddenly a feeling of awe overcame me for all around me on the walls at Caesarea Philippi were carvings of various “gods.” At that instant the question that Jesus asked seemed so pertinent. Here was Jesus and His disciples surrounded by all these gods and so He asked, “Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?” To my sister it seemed the most natural question to ask.

By then she was warming up, the floodgates were about to open and with me standing right in front of them. (This is an aside: as I was typing the sentence above the phone rang and it was her overwhelmed by all sort of memories. I won’t say what they were for it would take forever.)

So W&W, those were her first thoughts and I know that she is, right at this very moment, reliving many more. I just know that the phone will ring again soon.

Thanks for this. Was very fascinating!

ReadyforSupper

I agree with W&W in that I was able to "be there"! (Especially at the well, it's breathtaking!)
Thank you for posting it and thank you W&W for asking!:cloud9

Andy C

Nice read, thanks. I was off the coast of Israel and Lebanon on our fleet of 4 ships in 2006, as our Marines and Sailors evacuated 15,000 US citizens from Lebanon. This was when there was a war between Hezbollah and the IDF. I would've liked to gone ashore in Israel, but the situation did not allow. But I did get to helo in to the former US Embassy in Lebanon.

I probably wont go visit Israel, but in the future I will be in or near there for a thousand years!

Side note: This same force I was with in Lebanon, was also the same force that was the Marine leading force for hurricane Katrina rescue and relief operations. One of the families we resuced from Lebanon, was also resuced by us during Katrina!

Nice read, thanks. I was off the coast of Israel and Lebanon on our fleet of 4 ships in 2006, as our Marines and Sailors evacuated 15,000 US citizens from Lebanon. This was when there was a war between Hezbollah and the IDF. I would've liked to gone ashore in Israel, but the situation did not allow. But I did get to helo in to the former US Embassy in Lebanon.

I probably wont go visit Israel, but in the future I will be in or near there for a thousand years!

Side note: This same force I was with in Lebanon, was also the same force that was the Marine leading force for hurricane Katrina rescue and relief operations. One of the families we resuced from Lebanon, was also resuced by us during Katrina!

Hey Andy, just a side note:
Thanks for your service.
My grandson joined the Marine Reserves and is looking to go active.
Very proud of him.
Sorry for getting off topic....................

Nor is money available to me to visit. And although I want to, I find that rather than the stones on which He walked and the wells from which he drank, that He loves me enough to come to where I am. To love, visit, and council RIGHT HERE and anytime I want. And twice in my life He has blessed me with visions of Himself. So blessed am I that Jesus provide a way that we may be in His presence at will. Please forgive as I do not intend to minimize the importance of traveling to His Holy City. I too would love to visit there.

Lily

Looking Up
This has been a wonderful uplifting read. Thank you for all of your stories, I was captivated and felt as if I was experiencing these in person.

It's very unlikely I'll ever make it to Israel, but I wish I could.

(I have to say that that mosque is the worst eyesore ever.)

Back