Gladiator school to be restored in Rome

Gladiator school to be restored in Rome
By Nick Squires, Rome
3:46PM BST 04 Jun 2015

An ancient underground tunnel that links the Colosseum with the remains of a gladiatorial training barracks could be restored and opened to the public thanks to a donation from Kuwait.

Generations of gladiators lived and trained in the Ludus Magnus or Great Gladiatorial Training School, the largest such facility in Rome, which was located just a few hundred yards from the amphitheatre.

The remains of the training school can still be seen, squeezed between two busy roads in the shadow of the Colosseum and frequently littered with rubbish.

The authorities in Rome have long wanted to restore the archaeological site and open up the tunnel which leads from the barracks into the bowels of the Colosseum.

Gladiators would don their helmets and armour and collect their weapons before walking through the torchlit passageway to emerge onto the sandy arena of the amphitheatre, in scenes depicted memorably by the Ridley Scott film Gladiator, starring Russell Crowe.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor.../Gladiator-school-to-be-restored-in-Rome.html

ReadyforSupper

This is creeping me out! I've always thought the beheadings during the tribulation will be done at various sports stadiums and once this Colosseum gets restored will the AC be using this arena?
Um. There are LOTS more Christians now than then...here we go again(?)

With every tv show having some form of human mutilation, plus this "love of many waxing cold", this does give one, reason to pause.

bj

This is creeping me out! I've always thought the beheadings during the tribulation will be done at various sports stadiums and once this Colosseum gets restored will the AC be using this arena?

Watched a show (it may have been 60 Minutes) where a wealthy Italian is paying to have the Colosseum cleaned. They showed the sections that had been against the ones that have yet to be and there was really a major difference. There was also a woman that was an expert on the Colosseum and she claims that Christians were never thrown to the lions and such because, the audience would have cheered for the underdog and Rome wouldn't have wanted that.

livin_in_the_Son

We went to the Colosseum, when my dad took us to Rome. It was still a massive thing to behold, and quite creepy.

What really bothers me is that there are a number of crosses placed there (one by pope John Paul 2) to honor Christian martyrs, and it's supposed to have significant ties to the RCC. The pope has a procession, the "Way of the cross" from there every Good Friday.

So, exactly what "martyrs" are being honored? True believers killed for going against Rome, and the RCC? Or catholic "saints"?

bj

We went to the Colosseum, when my dad took us to Rome. It was still a massive thing to behold, and quite creepy.

What really bothers me is that there are a number of crosses placed there (one by pope John Paul 2) to honor Christian martyrs, and it's supposed to have significant ties to the RCC. The pope has a procession, the "Way of the cross" from there every Good Friday.

So, exactly what "martyrs" are being honored? True believers killed for going against Rome, and the RCC? Or catholic "saints"?

RCC has a saint for everything. In all probability the saints their claiming died as martyrs at the Colosseum is nothing more than a myth perpetuated by the RCC.

livin_in_the_Son

RCC has a saint for everything. In all probability the saints their claiming died as martyrs at the Colosseum is nothing more than a myth perpetuated by the RCC.
I believe that one pope...pious maybe? That tried to have the dirt there declared a relic, because it was "saturated with the blood of martyrs". Apparently it didn't gain traction.

As for saints... I was happy to inform my husband last night that we were both saints. He is saved, but still gets confused trying to separate catholicism, and biblical truth. He thought that was really cool!

bj

I believe that one pope...pious maybe? That tried to have the dirt there declared a relic, because it was "saturated with the blood of martyrs". Apparently it didn't gain traction.

As for saints... I was happy to inform my husband last night that we were both saints. He is saved, but still gets confused trying to separate catholicism, and biblical truth. He thought that was really cool!

I know, I think two or three different rcc churches have the head of John the Baptist and at least one has the heads of the Three Wise Men. :whoopdeedo Even if it was true, which I don't believe it is, what would be the point? It might have worked for peasants but I think people have a lot more smarts today.

livin_in_the_Son

I know, I think two or three different rcc churches have the head of John the Baptist and at least one has the heads of the Three Wise Men. :whoopdeedo Even if it was true, which I don't believe it is, what would be the point? It might have worked for peasants but I think people have a lot more smarts today.
You would think.... but how many people believe that Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene because of a painting by an artist who wasn't even alive during Jesus' life?

Lily

Looking Up

The RCC has an unhealthy obsession with death and gore. They're always saving dead bodies, blood of people, heads of people and such then puts them on display for the public ever so often. Didn't they just drag out the body of a dead pope not too long ago? There was something else about somebody's blood too... I can't remember the details, I actually don't want to remember all the details... but they sure do.

bj

The RCC has an unhealthy obsession with death and gore. They're always saving dead bodies, blood of people, heads of people and such then puts them on display for the public ever so often. Didn't they just drag out the body of a dead pope not too long ago? There was something else about somebody's blood too... I can't remember the details, I actually don't want to remember all the details... but they sure do.

They really went out of their way and made a big deal out of these things:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ems-jewellery-dug-Indiana-Bones-explorer.html

Back