Matthew 21 verses 28-32 parable

pln4287

Matthew 21
"What do you think? There was a man who had two sons. He went to the first and said, `Son, go and work today in the vineyard.'
"`I will not,' he answered, but later he changed his mind and went.
"Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered, `I will, sir,' but he did not go.
"Which of the two did what his father wanted?" "The first," they answered. Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you.
For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him.

Could someone explain this parable and what Jesus meant by the meaning of it. Thanks

WaitingOnHim

Renewed In Christ
To me, the first son represents someone who first heard the Word of God, refused to accept the free gift of Salvation at first, but eventually accepted the gift and was saved, even though he was a bit stubborn about it at first - like so many of us are. The second son, after first hearing the Word of God, immediately "accepted" it as knowledge but never truly accepted the offer through faith and was thus damned for eternity.

JMVHO.

Geri7

To me, the first son represents someone who first heard the Word of God, refused to accept the free gift of Salvation at first, but eventually accepted the gift and was saved, even though he was a bit stubborn about it at first - like so many of us are. The second son, after first hearing the Word of God, immediately "accepted" it as knowledge but never truly accepted the offer through faith and was thus damned for eternity.

JMVHO.
I totally agree, Larry. The first son eventually trusted in Jesus and obeyed Him. Whereas the other son had just a head knowledge of who Jesus is (the majority of the world fits this ratio) - they will yes yes you when you mention Jesus died on the cross for the sins of the whole world but they never prayed to Jesus directly for forgiveness of their sins and asking Him to be their personal Savior.

mattfivefour

These are all good answers! The simple fact is that it is not what we say but what we do that counts. Expressions of faith that do not naturally result in works reveal a lack of true faith. Expressions of willingness that do not lead to obedience reveal a lack of true willingness. It's as simple as that.

RandallB

I would say that it is what we believe and who we believe in that really counts.

Yes - actions can result from our beliefs but that is not what the Lord looks at for final determination. It is the beliefs rooted in our heart.
Problem is that it is only their actions that we can really judge on - often wrongly - both ways.

As Chuck Smith said: "We do believe in the perseverance of the saints (true believers), but are deeply concerned about sinful lifestyles and rebellious hearts among those who call themselves ‘Christians.’ ”

We need to come along side these "non-preforming" professing believers and try to help them without enabling the bad stuff.

I would just caution that a lack of our being able to perceive the Expressions of faith necessarily proves that there is in actuality a lack of true faith.

I drive several people home from the food bank weekly. Their lives are so choked with the weeds and cares of this life that there is little if any evidence of Expressions of their faith - however they do talk about their love for the Lord but an old friend will come back in their lives and they will party and fall. Maybe just the fact that they are sorry about falling is a huge growth step for them from several years ago.

mattfivefour

Excellent comments, Randall, with which I entirely agree. That said, we rarely can definitively judge one way or the other. Instead of presuming that a person living for the devil though having professed Christ is indeed saved but simply struggling with sin, I would rather not take it for granted, but would continually try to build the individual's faith, their knowledge of God, and encourage them to truly surrender. I would rather do that than presume they are saved and later learn the individual is in Hell because they never were. My love for that soul will not permit me to do that.

Yet I can always trust God's love for a soul and His promise to lead me. Therefore, the only way to deal with people whom we try to disciple is by the leading of the Holy Spirit. He alone can lead us aright.

livingskies

I'm totally with mattfivefour on this. The Holy Spirit will continue to work on the unsaved as well as the saved, to convict them of their sins and lead them to repentance and salvation (the saved to sanctification). God does not desire that any should perish. We can't know anyone else's heart for sure but our own and even that is tough. But actions speak louder than words (hence the saying!). So we are to pray, pray, and pray again and continually witness/disciple.

Back