Seeking Righteousness versus Justice

OnlyHim

Our Pastor is currently going through a series of sermons on the Beatitudes (which are really good BTW). Yesterday we did Matthew 5:6 (“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.)

In my contemplating of this, I found myself meandering between Righteousness and Justice. Justice is reserved for only a Righteous Judge; ie Jesus. Yet, there is a difference between being judgmental (something we are not to do) verses seeking Justice. I am reminded of Micah 6:8 (He has told you, O man, what is good;And what does the Lord require of you But to do justice, to love kindness,And to walk humbly with your God?)

I guess I am struggling with understanding the relationship between Righteousness and Justice. I find myself daily growing more and more angry at the lack of justice in the world today. I think of this anger in much the same way Jesus might have felt seeing the temple being turned into a marketplace which some have described as a righteous anger. Is Justice a subset of the overall umbrella of Righteousness?

Any thoughts on this if anyone can make sense of my ramblings? :)

paidinfull

Our Pastor is currently going through a series of sermons on the Beatitudes (which are really good BTW). Yesterday we did Matthew 5:6 (“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.)

In my contemplating of this, I found myself meandering between Righteousness and Justice. Justice is reserved for only a Righteous Judge; ie Jesus. Yet, there is a difference between being judgmental (something we are not to do) verses seeking Justice. I am reminded of Micah 6:8 (He has told you, O man, what is good;And what does the Lord require of you But to do justice, to love kindness,And to walk humbly with your God?)

I guess I am struggling with understanding the relationship between Righteousness and Justice. I find myself daily growing more and more angry at the lack of justice in the world today. I think of this anger in much the same way Jesus might have felt seeing the temple being turned into a marketplace which some have described as a righteous anger. Is Justice a subset of the overall umbrella of Righteousness?

Any thoughts on this if anyone can make sense of my ramblings? :)

Great question and worthy of endless sermons. No one can ever understand the relationship between righteousness and justice until first of all we see the cross of Christ placed in between and then begin an eternal journey on the discovery of God.

Try this to start you off... https://bible.org/seriespage/6-righteousness-god

OnlyHim

Great question and worthy of endless sermons. No one can ever understand the relationship between righteousness and justice until first of all we see the cross of Christ placed in between and then begin an eternal journey on the discovery of God.

Try this to start you off... https://bible.org/seriespage/6-righteousness-god

This is a very good article. Thank you guys for your reply!

Back