1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Earthquake in english channel.

Discussion in 'Science, Technology, & Natural Disasters' started by daygo, Jul 14, 2011.

1. daygo

daygo Well-Known Member

An earthquake 3.9 magnitude was in the English channel near Portsmouth about 10km down according to the experts. I would say thats big for round here.:nod
  2. WKUHilltopper

WKUHilltopper Well-Known Member

That's pretty remarkable--that's not even in the so-called "ring of fire" too, right? (I'll have to find some graphic on it)

I'm wondering if the New Madrid fault (about 400 miles as the crow flies from me) isn't on the "hit parade" now....
  3. daygo

daygo Well-Known Member

Thats correct, nowhere near any earthquake zones that I know of, it is indeed remarkable, certainly says something to you.:((
  4. WKUHilltopper

WKUHilltopper Well-Known Member

Yep, sure does.

Man, must be getting old--I guess the "ring of fire" is pretty much all concentrated in the pacific ocean area. I was thinking some of it extended to the North Atlantic area, especially given the volcanoes going off in Iceland. Must be getting senile.

5. Sean Osborne

Sean Osborne Well-Known Member

Yes, there is a fault line which runs smack dab down the middle of the English Channel. This fault line is where southern England tore away from France in the past. You can see in this image how the southern coast of England would fit nicely into the French coast line - like pieces of a tectonic puzzle. Big star is quake location; little dots are previous quakes in this region.