Mark 13:27

Sean1916

"And then shall he send his angels, and shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from the uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven."

Under the assumption that this refers to Christ's Second Coming and that the elect are those that are redeemed during the Tribulation period, why would the angels need to go to the uttermost part of heaven to gather the elect. Earth is understandable but heaven? What am I overlooking here?

Your thoughts on this and thanks ahead of time.

mattfivefour

The Pulpit Commentary offers this:

"...from the uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven. At its extremities, in the horizon, there appears to be the end alike of earth and of heaven, as though earth and heaven joined, and the heaven terminated by melting into the earth and becoming one with it. The expression simply means, 'from horizon to horizon,'."
In other words, it is a poetical construction meaning "from every part of the earth." The same account is recorded in Matthew 24:31, but with a slightly different use of words. There, in my view, the idea of "horizon to horizon" is clearer.

mattfivefour

No, people are not scattered in Heaven. They are all before the throne ... at least at this time. I believe it is as many commentators say-- simply a poetic construction meaning "from horizon to horizon." When a passage is obscure, the simplest reading is usually the correct one. God never hides anything of importance to us in solitary or obscure passages.

WorldWithoutEnd

Although it could be as simple as brother Adrian stated, the four winds being the four cardinal points of the compass, I personally believe that the elect in this instance is all of the saved of the house of Israel, who will be resurrected as per Ezekiel 37. Could this passage in Mark be the same event as Ezekiel 37:9-12?

WorldWithoutEnd

Also, assuming that Jesus is including the two witnesses and that they have a lot in the land then yes, I guess it could be said "from the uttermost part of heaven":)

PTH

Sean 1916 , I write with a loving heart. What am I over looking here? KJV Mark 13:14 talks about the abomination of desolation. Mark 13:19 talks about for in those days shall be affliction such as was not from the beginning of creation which God created onto this time. Mark 13:24 talks about those days after that tribulation. Mark 13:26 And then shall they see the Son of Man coming in the clouds with great power and glory. Colossians 3:12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness humbleness of mind, meekness, long suffering: This takes place after the tribulation, the Son of Man's feet never hit the ground so probably not talking about the second coming. Your assumption either missed 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 3.

RandallB

Sean 1916 , I write with a loving heart. What am I over looking here? KJV Mark 13:14 talks about the abomination of desolation. Mark 13:19 talks about for in those days shall be affliction such as was not from the beginning of creation which God created onto this time. Mark 13:24 talks about those days after that tribulation. Mark 13:26 And then shall they see the Son of Man coming in the clouds with great power and glory. Colossians 3:12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness humbleness of mind, meekness, long suffering: This takes place after the tribulation, the Son of Man's feet never hit the ground so probably not talking about the second coming. Your assumption either missed 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 3.

I do not understand where you are coming from when you say this is not talking about the 2nd Coming.

These are parallel verses of Matt 24:30-31. As you say this is after the Tribulation. I believe that the elect being gathered from the "uttermost part of heaven" is referring to the OT & Trib Saints resurrection that is Dan 12:2. The comma before the term " others to shame and everlasting contempt" will only last about half as long as the comma that Jesus paused at when He preached on Isa 61:2 in Luke 4:19.

PTH

RandallB As you already know the Holy Spirit and Gods Word can be trusted. It's not me but Gods Word in Matt.24:29 and Mark 13:24 says it's after the tribulation. You are right they are parallel verses. Zech. 14:1-4 says the day of the Lord cometh ...... and his feet shall stand in that day upon the Mount of Olives. In Mark 13:26 Son of Man coming in the clouds with great power and glory. Elect: Col. 3:12 Paul writing to the christians at Colossi Put on therefore as the elect of God.

RandallB

Completely agree that it is after the tribulation.

The issue is your conjecture that this Coming in the Clouds is not talking about the 2nd Coming because it doesn't specifically talk about His feet...

The 2nd Coming is not just what happens on the Mt Olives although that is definitely a part of it.

First, the 2nd Coming does NOT happen immediately after the Great Tribulation ends on the 1260th day after AoD.
There is a sequence of events declared with no time period specified except their starting point - the end of Great Trib.

Matt 24:29-30.
29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days
a) shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and
b)the stars shall fall from heaven, and the
c) powers of the heavens shall be shaken: 30 And then shall appear the
d) sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the
e) tribes of the earth mourn, and
f) they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

Events (a) thru (e) have no time frame associated with them. Could be hours - could be days - maybe even a week or so. There will be no way for anyone to know which day or hour He will return at His 2nd Coming. I imagine that e) the tribes morning, will be given some time. Since this is the last chance for earth dwellers to become one of His Elect and the Lord does not want any to perish.

2nd Coming Sequence -

There is also a sequence of events that occurs at the 2nd Coming. (From Dr Fruchtenbum

1) Christ at 2nd Coming first enters into battle with forces of ac that are attacking Israel Remnant at Petra/Bozrah
2) The Battle continues From Bozrah to the Valley of Jehoshaphat
3) Jesus slays ac with His breath. ac (resurrected) & Prophet thrown alive into Lake o' Fire
4) Jesus' Victory Descent onto Mount Olives – Splits Mount East to West – River flows from Temple to Med Sea & Dead Sea.
5) Then Resurrection of OT & Trib Saints, Cleansing of the Temple, ( I believe that this is all finished by 1290th day after GT)
6) Sheep/Goat Judgment – Surviving Trib Saints (Sheep) enter MK as mortals. ( I believe that this is all finished by 1335th day after GT)

*Liberally ripped off from The Seventy-Five Day Interval & Footsteps of the Messiah By Dr. Arnold Frutchenbaum

Back