Authority of the Apostles

Zelda2927

Does John 20:23 mean that the apostles could forgive or condemn people for their sins?

Also, what is the meaning of Matthew 16:19 and Matthew 18:18?

Reactions: Hol

Hol

Worships Him
Good questions!

Regarding the Apostle Peter getting the keys to the kingdom of Heaven, what he did in the Book of Acts shows us how he used them to open the church doors to Samaritans & Gentiles. There is a study about that (free) on Ariel Ministries website, under the Come and See series that you may find helpful.

These verses are now being used (misused) by many of today's feel good prophets and apostles. I'm sure when Peter welcomed the early Gentiles and converts, it was literally opening the kingdom to those who were excluded as shown by Jesus specifically preached to Jews only when he said "These twelve Jesus sent out, instructing them, "Go nowhere among the Gentiles and enter no town of the Samaritans, but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel"
The keys meany the gospel was open to all!

Zelda2927

Thanks Hol, I checked out Ariel Ministries and will probably spend some time on there this weekend. What is the name of the study about the keys of the kingdom?

Also, what is the meaning of the binding and loosening mentioned in Matthew 16:19 and Matthew 18:18?
And does "Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained" (John 20:23) mean the apostles had the authority to forgive and condemn people for their sins?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hol

Hol

Worships Him
Thanks Hol, I checked out Ariel Ministries and will probably spend some time on there this weekend. What is the name of the study about the keys of the kingdom?
Oh I'm glad. It is an excellent helpful series. Under the subsection, Studies About the Holy Spirit, the study about Apostle Peter is number: mbs066m. I love the audio, but the paper studies are really good too.

Here is a little portion from page 22 in Dr. Fruchtenbaum's notes:
"The second question is: "Who were they?" The answer is: they were apostles (Acts 1:26), with Peter, being the outstanding apostle (Acts 2:14) and the one who preached the sermon in Acts 2. In Matthew 16:17-19, Peter was given the keys of the kingdom, and he had the authority to "open the door."

The third question is: "What were the circumstances?" According to Acts 1:4, they were waiting and praying for the promise of the Father. The experience of Acts 2:1-4 was the answer to that prayer (Acts 2:33).

The fourth question is: ''What was the means?" The answer is: the Holy Spirit came directly. There was an initial filling of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:4); they were baptized by the Holy Spirit (Acts 11:15-17); into the Body of the Messiah (I Cor. 12:13); and given a spiritual gift. The gift in this case was the gift of the speaking in tongues.The Holy Spirit came upon them directly, not by any intermediate way.

The fifth question is: ''What was the purpose?" The purpose was authentication. To the apostles, it authenticated that the promise of the Father had now been fulfilled. The coming of the Holy Spirit with the gift of tongues authenticated their calling and message; they were the apostles they claimed to be. To the Jewish audience, it authenticated the message that the apostles were preaching.

The sixth question is: "What were the results?" The results were threefold. First, the Jews from the Diaspora were able to hear the gospel in their own language {Acts 2:8-11). Secondly, they fell under the conviction of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:37). Thirdly, three thousand of them were converted (Acts 2:41).

In Acts 2, the Holy Spirit was not actually "delayed" because, only at that point, did the Holy Spirit begin His ministry of Spirit baptism. The events authenticated the apostles' message to the Jewish people. t that point, the Jews for the first time entered into the Body of the Messiah. Peter, who had the keys, opened the door to the Jews in Acts 2, and from then on the door stayed open to the Jews." (bolding mine)

Back