Who's Judas?

livin_in_the_Son

Quite often I listen/read to the endless debates between Calvinists, Arminians, Roman Catholics, and others who speculate on whether or not Judas was saved.
It's not our place to decide whether or not Judas was saved. Period. Just like it's not our place to decide if any other person is saved. (that's also why we don't talk about who from the OT may be in heaven, because we simply don't know)

ReadyforSupper

It's not our place to decide whether or not Judas was saved. Period. Just like it's not our place to decide if any other person is saved. (that's also why we don't talk about who from the OT may be in heaven, because we simply don't know)
We'll know when we get there and I'd imagine if someone's not there, we'd not care anyway. (Assuming that simple knowledge doesn't follow us there...)

DaveS

Well, you're right... Especially not the way that either of the sides argue their points.

But, how many people has Jesus ever called a devil? I'd also say that there of plenty of folks we can say for CERTAIN were saved... and I'd say there's something to learn from it. How bout all of you folks? Ya'll want to debate whether or not we can know that Abraham was saved? How about David? Oh yeah, my favorite... Adam.

Last edited:

ReadyforSupper

Well, you're right... Especially not the way that either of the sides argue their points.

But, how many people has Jesus ever called a devil? I'd also say that there of plenty of folks we can say for CERTAIN were saved... and I'd say there's something to learn from it. How bout all of you folks? Ya'll want to debate whether or not we can know that Abraham was saved? How about David? Oh yeah, my favorite... Adam.
Not particularly. It seems as if too much time is being spent discussing things that frankly, do not edify nor do the have any bearing on our faith nor our walks.

This is the equivalent of "what kind of fruit was the tree of knowledge of good and evil"?

It doesn't matter. Time could be better spent discussing things that do matter, or even quietly reading the scriptures and thereby building our faith.

mattfivefour

Sure. Let's go.

Based on Scripture that tells us that Abraham's faith was accounted to him as righteousness (Genesis 15:6; Galatians 3:6) and the OT and NT reprition of the statement that "the just shall live by faith" (Habakkuk 2:5; Romans 1:17; Galatians 3:11; Hebrews 10:28) I suggest that anybody who has ever died in faith in God and His Messiah (whether prior to His coming or subsequent to it) is in Heaven today. Romans 3:22; 4:5-6; and Psalm 32:1-11 all lend weight to this thesis.

The only question now is just WHO in the OT (or the New) evinced such faith?

For myself I will bow out at this point because there are far too many practical applications of Scripture to concern ourselves with. And, respectfully, nowhere are we directed to concern ourselves with the topic at hand. As Jesus said to Peter: "What's that to you?"

ReadyforSupper

For myself I will bow out at this point because there are far too many practical applications of Scripture to concern ourselves with. And, respectfully, nowhere are we directed to concern ourselves with the topic at hand. As Jesus said to Peter: "What's that to you?"
This, exactly. As a matter of fact we're admonished to leave this sort of thing alone. Titus 3:9

Scotographer

χριστου δουλος
If a man also have committed a trespass worthy of death, and is put to death, and thou hangest him on a tree, His body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but thou shalt bury him the same day: for the curse of God is on him that is hanged. Defile not therefore thy land which the Lord thy God giveth thee to inherit.
Deuteronomy 21:22-23 (GenevaBible)

livin_in_the_Son

This is the equivalent of "what kind of fruit was the tree of knowledge of good and evil"?
Or my favorite... where did Cain get his wife?

You're not debating Dave, nor even discussing... you're merely asking questions... that's not debate. Period.

With that, I'm also done with this thread.

Back