Need help with refuting a Mormon teaching

maryrae

Hi all,
I need help with refuting a teaching that I've found is a Mormon belief after a search I did here on RF.
It's astonishing the beliefs that are creeping in to believers lives. I know a Bible Study leader in our church who believes that babies are pre-born spirits waiting in Heaven to be born. I remember from somewhere that this is a Mormon teaching, and did a search on RF and sure enough, I found out that it is. Can anyone help me with Scripture to refute such an idea, or is it not really touched on in Scripture? The Bible Study leader gave me verses from the Bible to prove his position, but to me they just point out God's foreknowledge of us as humans.
The verses he gave are as follows:
Exodus 33:12
Isaiah 49:1,5
Jeremiah 1:5
Luke 1:15
Romans 8:29

Reactions: Hol

Any Minute

Tetelestai !!
Hi maryrae, I don’t know if this will help any.

http://www.letusreason.org/LDS24.htm

Excerpt:

Where does this teaching of preexistence come from? “Before time began the soul was without a body, an archetype, the heavenly man pure in spirit in paradise, yet longing after the archetype, God. Some of the pure spirits descended into bodies and lost their purity” (Plato and the Stoics philosophy).

Greek philosophy is the origin of this type of philosophy, not the Bible. The Bible teaches in1 Cor. 15:46-47: “However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural; then the spiritual. The first man is from the earth, earthy; the second is man is from heaven.” On this main point Mormonism disagrees with all of Christian teaching founded in the Bible. Gen. 2:7: “And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.”

A verse that is commonly used is Jer.1:5: “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you...” This verse is not talking about pre-existence. It is talking about God’s ordination and appointment of Jeremiah to be a prophet to his nation. Let’s look at the whole verse: “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.” This was God’s plan for Jeremiah, in the same way Eph. 2:10: “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.”

mattfivefour

Any Minute has given you a good resource, sis. Indeed, all four of the verses your "teacher" quoted have to do with God's foreknowledge; not for a souls preexistence. God, being omniscient, by definition has to know EVERYTHING. And that includes everything in the future. Were that not true, He would not/could not be omniscient. And if He is not omniscient, He is a liar and, thus, not truly God.

Watching and Waiting

I have wondered about this but am not sure what is right. Not the Mormon idea, just about when souls came about.
I truly believe God created everything in 6 days and rested on the 7th.
Did He create our souls while he was creating everything else, maybe day 6?
Or does He create a soul at every conception? If He does, doesn't that suggest He keeps creating, even though creation ended on day 6? What is wrong with the idea that souls are in heaven waiting their spot in history? If the Biblepe doesn't outright say, then is it just conjecture either way? :idunno

DaveS

Good morning,

I have wondered about this but am not sure what is right. Not the Mormon idea, just about when souls came about.
I truly believe God created everything in 6 days and rested on the 7th.
Did He create our souls while he was creating everything else, maybe day 6?
Or does He create a soul at every conception? If He does, doesn't that suggest He keeps creating, even though creation ended on day 6? What is wrong with the idea that souls are in heaven waiting their spot in history? If the Biblepe doesn't outright say, then is it just conjecture either way? :idunno

Check these out if you get time... It'll at least give you an idea of some of the implications involved with the origin of the soul.

The Transmission of the soul, part 1, Paul Martin Henebury
The Transmission of the soul, part 2, Paul Martin Henebury
The Transmission of the soul, part 3, Paul Martin Henebury
The Transmission of the soul, part 4, Paul Martin Henebury

Kind regards,
Dave

Back