Hey??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Hey??

Bookmark and Share
    Obie is offline Citizen

Default Hey??

Where's the hunting and fishing thingie? The outdoors thingie? Don't any of y'all go outside?
    Miss Ginger

nillapoet is offline Citizen

Default Re: Hey??

What is this outside you speak of?

Obie is offline Citizen

Don't be a smartie-pants! Are you a hermit?
    Miss Ginger

micah719 is offline an adopted son of The Most High God John 6:37-40

Here in rule-bound Germany, you need lots of money, licenses, time and status to be permitted to enjoy what is mockingly called "hunting and fishing". If you enjoy 1001 rules about what you may do, how you may do it, when and where you may do it; 1001 rude and officious inspectors following you about to make sure you do, and 1001 curtain-twitchers with a hand on the phone and all the inspectorates on speed dial watching your every move.

Gone are the days when Mad-Jack Micah could shoulder his rifle and bayonet (.303 Lee-Enfield Mk 3*, best pig gun and infantry bolt-action ever) and go meet Mr Razorback up close and personal in the Aussie scrub (the bayonet was in case the old girl decided to misfire...Mr Razorback has big tusks and will rip you up one side and down the other faster than you can work even the lovely Lee action). If I wanted to hunt wild boar here in Germany, I'd have to sit through an extensive shooting course (how patronising, I've forgotten more about it that the locals will likely ever know), an exam to make sure I know which end to stick the ammo in, pay a fortune in fees and jump through endless narrow bureacrapic hoops, join a waiting list, maybe ten years later be permitted to join a club, purchase a rifle for exorbitant fee, install Fort Knox v2.0 or turn it in at an armoury for "safekeeping", and if I actually were permitted to go hunting I'd have to know the animal on first-name terms, get permission from the landowner to be there and shoot, and sit in a cramped little hut on stilts, freezing and being laughed at by the crows. It'd be faster to wait until the poor thing starves to death or dies of old age, and go do something more interesting, less expensive and painful, and more rewarding; like watching paint dry, or count paving stones in the market square.

Gone also are the days when Maritime Micah could launch the dinghy or the skiboat at the ramp 5 mintues away, and spend many hours fishing, skiing, snorkeling or snoozing on a remote beach. Also gone are the trips into the mangroves on the other side of the backyard fence to catch mudcrabs or laze about in the shady groves catching 40 winks on an inflated tractor tyre. Now I'd have to sit through an extensive fishing course (how patronising, I've probably forgotten more about it that the locals will likely ever know), an exam to make sure I know which end to tie the hooks on, pay a fortune in fees and jump through endless narrow bureacrapic hoops, join a waiting list, maybe ten years later be permitted to join a club (even though my grandpa started the local fishing club here....), purchase gear for exorbitant fee, and if I actually were permitted to go fishing I'd have to know the flippers on first-name terms, get permission from the landowner to be there and fish, and sit on a muddy riverbank, freezing and being laughed at by the crows. It'd be faster to wait until the poor things starve to death or die of old age, and go do something more interesting, less expensive and painful, and more rewarding; like watching paint dry, or count paving stones in the market square.

I guess one slightly outdoorsy amusing thing would be to patrol the riverbanks and hunter's hides and commiserate the poor deprived sportsmen in their misery. Or, follow the inspectors about like a bad smell and ask them 1001 annoying and abstruse questions. However, I'm not that bloody-minded. Wait another 10 years, I might adapt. In the meantime, what do you do out under the big sky to pass the time?

P.S.

On further consideration, some modifications and explanations and expansions on previous post.

Firstly, the Lee Enfield No. 4 is a better infantry rifle than the No. 3....heavier barrel, longer sight radius, safer action, but still the Lee action and the 10 round mag. Pity I never laid my mitts on one. There are better rifles in the class, but they lose out when considered all-round. Mauser action is better....positive feed, better ballistics at long range, better quality, slightly more accurate, better ammunition quality....but the action is inherently slower and it only holds 5 rounds in the mag. In this category also are the P17 Enfield and 30-06 Springfield. The P17 only narrowly misses out due to the 5 round mag, in other respects it is a better bangstick. The P14 with the .276 was a missed opportunity, as was the 7x64 in the German arsenal. Other things I would have liked to try would have been the 6.5 Mannlicher (best classic elephant rifle), the beautiful Swiss M31, and the Swedish monster calibre in a Mauser action that escapes my memory atm.

Some friends of mine were into the more extreme pighunting....a couple of good pigdogs and a hunting knife only. I was too chicken and couldn't house dogs, so stuck to the bangsticks.

At the moment I'm growing into archery, even though bowhunting/fishing is prohibited here. Anyway, killing things for fun is no longer in my mind....however, if it came to food for survival, or self defence against wild beasts, I'd still go for it.

The local archery club has the olympic style, but I have no attraction to club shooting or the mutated bicycles called compound bows. At this stage field shoots and clout shooting are drawing me. I have a 110lb Kassai Bear, and had a 50lb Kassai Mongol C that unfortunately got overdrawn by a tyrekicker, and later exploded and gave me a lovely welt. Once the funds permit, I'm keen to acquire a 50lb Kassai Deer Assymetric. Once I get my little cellar emptied and a bench setup, I may branch out into making arrows...decent ones cost an arm and a leg, and I don't make much these days. But, there are other little wood projects that have priority....

Meg
    Meg is offline Citizen

We live in the woods, although we don't hunt or fish. But we do live in peace with the wildlife (except for large spiders and any snakes that even might resemble rattlesnakes), and could we both ever tell some stories about the local indigenous critters!

Obie is offline Citizen

I don't hunt and only fish if nephew baits my hook. LOL
    Miss Ginger

mattfivefour is offline Super Moderator

I hunt regularly. Every few days, I and a can of bug spray patrol the corners of my house and yard looking for signs of spiders. Any that I find, I dispatch to wherever it is that spiders go when they die— oblivion would suit me just fine. I know that spiders eat insects. But so do purple martins and swallows. And those are a lot more attractive and pleasant than spiders. Not sure what God was thinking when he created those. Especially when I look at video (if I can bring myself to do so and keep the goose bumps down) of giant South American Goliath bird (and smaller mammal) eating spiders, Sand spiders, Camel spiders, Brazilian Huntsmen, Sydney Funnelwebs, Redbacks, Brown Recluses ... what was He thinking???
    -------"You are not your own; you are bought with a price." —1 Corinthians 6:19b-20a

------ ------ ------

Adrian, you big meanie....

Spiders won't eat much of you, and it's not like you have birds nesting in the cornices of your hallway to eat the insects; I deduce this because you have two cats. Ok, you might come across the spiders that infect you with flesh-eating bacteria that fester your limbs off over a period of months, but this is rare.

Spiders are living, creeping evidence that Adam was created before Eve. If Eve had gotten to name the animals, spiders would be called "eeeek" instead.

Spiders are also really nifty creations....they spin silk stronger than steel from their bottoms....prompting evilutionists to also come up with all sorts of fanciful yarns seemingly from nowhere to try and explain the phenone phemone femomenon it, which they haven't managed yet. Engineers would love to be able to spin spiderwebs, with machines of course, not through.....ok, you get it. There is even a spider that spins itself a little bag to keep air in, and goes diving for food. Neat! I wonder what the originals in Eden were like....

Some of them are beautiful....perhaps even cute:

Amazingly intricate though this is a bit too close for me....

Hope I remember these things the next time I blunder into a web...

SteveJM likes this.

Bro, there was NOTHING cute in those pictures!

nillapoet likes this.
    -------"You are not your own; you are bought with a price." —1 Corinthians 6:19b-20a

------ ------ ------

I'm sorry, I promise never to do that again.

Here's a dose of generic cute to make up for the cute little blue jumping spider.

Awwww. OK, you're forgiven.

------ ------ ------

nillapoet is offline Citizen

I like puppies.

This summer my outside will be coaching baseball and photography.

I never really got interested in hunting or fishing. Maybe because I never caught anything when I went.
    mattfivefour likes this.

SonSeeker is offline Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Obie View Post
    I don't hunt and only fish if nephew baits my hook. LOL
    Then why did you start this thread in the first place???

Just so Micah could go off on his displeasure of the gubment where he lives? Then weigh the advantages and disadvantages of various critter killers? And as a grand finale scaring the pants off Adrian by posting oversize pictures of poisonous varmints??

Now it'll take days for the two of them to calm down and become their normal selves again. Nice goin'!!
    Meg and FaithInChrist like this.
    Ephesians 5:18 (New King James Version)

18 And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit,

I Come To The Garden Alone Hymn

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
    And He tells me I am His own;
    And the joy we share as we tarry there,
    None other has ever known.

Obie is offline Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by SonSeeker View Post
    Then why did you start this thread in the first place???

Just so Micah could go off on his displeasure of the gubment where he lives? Then weigh the advantages and disadvantages of various critter killers? And as a grand finale scaring the pants off Adrian by posting oversize pictures of poisonous varmints??

Now it'll take days for the two of them to calm down and become their normal selves again. Nice goin'!!
    Because I'm an old lady who was a tad bored this morning!! How's that! My bones are cracking and I'm usually a bit grumpy from the aches and pains of smartie-pants who complain!!

If you wanna fight, ring the bell....I'll answer. Now, if you'll excuse me I need my meds and a nap. ROFL!!
    Miss Ginger

SonSeeker is offline Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Obie View Post
    Because I'm an old lady who was a tad bored this morning!! How's that! My bones are cracking and I'm usually a bit grumpy from the aches and pains of smartie-pants who complain!!

If you wanna fight, ring the bell....I'll answer. Now, if you'll excuse me I need my meds and a nap. ROFL!!
    Meds and a nap, great idea! Me too!!!
    Obie likes this.
    Ephesians 5:18 (New King James Version)

18 And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit,

I Come To The Garden Alone Hymn

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
    And He tells me I am His own;
    And the joy we share as we tarry there,
    None other has ever known.

Meg
    Meg is offline Citizen

I HATE SPIDERS!!!!
    FaithInChrist likes this.

Ducati is offline Citizen

I work outside so the only other time I spend outside is if I go riding....or to cut the grass.

anath is offline I Love the Lord

I stay outside more than inside but I am definitely a city girl! Keeping my own backyard from becoming a jungle is what I do. There's always something to do like trimming the vines or prunning banana leaves. I have a vine that grows aprox 6 inches a day and thats in all directions.
    Not too many spiders...we have chameleons and frogs that kill off a lot of our spiders in the city. We have many cats in the neighborhood that take care of the rat population(we live a couple of blocks from the Mississippi River where ships unload to warehouses) Mosquitoes and roaches are way too plentiful tho.
    Outside the city is The sportsman's paradise. Hunting and fishing are great.
    Gators, snakes,..... salt water, fresh and brackish water fish. You name it, we got it!
    Obie likes this.

Amazing love! How can it be that Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?

Quote Originally Posted by anath View Post
    I stay outside more than inside but I am definitely a city girl! Keeping my own backyard from becoming a jungle is what I do. There's always something to do like trimming the vines or prunning banana leaves. I have a vine that grows aprox 6 inches a day and thats in all directions.
    Not too many spiders...we have chameleons and frogs that kill off a lot of our spiders in the city. We have many cats in the neighborhood that take care of the rat population(we live a couple of blocks from the Mississippi River where ships unload to warehouses) Mosquitoes and roaches are way too plentiful tho.
    Outside the city is The sportsman's paradise. Hunting and fishing are great.
    Gators, snakes,..... salt water, fresh and brackish water fish. You name it, we got it!
    What is it, a triffid? I thought only kelp grew that fast. With that thing in the garden I'd never dare go on holiday for fear of coming back and not being able to get in the house.
    Obie likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information