• 1 Post By SonSeeker
  • 1 Post By SonSeeker
  • 1 Post By SonSeeker
  • 1 Post By Chris

Thread: NFL finds Saints maintained illegal bounty program from 2009-11

Bookmark and Share
    anath is offline I Love the Lord

Default NFL finds Saints maintained illegal bounty program from 2009-11

This is shocking and very disturbing news to New Orleanians and Saints fans everywhere. Simply awful, awful, awful. 22-24 players were engaged in this bounty program!!!

Update...nevermind what I said about the people here...We are listening to the people calling in on our talk sports radio station & they are justifying and minimizing this as if everybody does it. Saying they are paid to perform anyway.........

Bradley Handwerger / WWLTV.com Sports Reporter
    NFL finds Saints maintained illegal bounty program - severe penalties expected | wwltv.com New Orleans

NEW ORLEANS —An investigation by the NFL has found that former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams maintained a “bounty” program in violation of league rules from 2009-11, including cash for injuring players and knocking them out of games.

The NFL’s security department found that payments were doled out the past three seasons with the “bounty” pool reaching as high as $50,000 at the program’s height in 2009, the season the Saints won the Super Bowl.
    Last edited by anath; March-2nd-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Amazing love! How can it be that Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?

Default Re: NFL finds Saints maintained illegal bounty program from 2009-11

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it does happen a lot more than what we here about. I wouldn't say that every team does, but I would be willing to say that quite a few offer "incentives" to their players for "making plays"...if you know what I mean.

Chris is offline Administrator

Them "Saints" were "Sinners"!!! Well, not that Pittsburgh's quarterback is any better. Gotta keep that boy outta bathroom stalls.

You bet! You know this really disgusts me to know they are so cold and callous to set out to injure another player. And to get big bucks if they were carried out on a stretcher! Something has died. Don't think I can ever be the devout fan I once was.

SonSeeker is offline Citizen

I don't want to appear too stupid, but can anyone expand on this a little? I mean, paying guys extra if they injure an opponent? This is just sick, come to think of it, I may just
    mattfivefour likes this.
    Ephesians 5:18 (New King James Version)

18 And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit,

I Come To The Garden Alone Hymn

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
    And He tells me I am His own;
    And the joy we share as we tarry there,
    None other has ever known.

Sonseeker, that's exactly how Mike and I feel, just a sick icky feeling.
    Actually when I speak to my friends and neighbors, they haven't given it much thought whatsoever. They think it's a shame the Saints got caught...can you believe this?

Quote Originally Posted by anath View Post
    Actually when I speak to my friends and neighbors, they haven't given it much thought whatsoever. They think it's a shame the Saints got caught...can you believe this?
    Well, to be fair to the Saints I'm afraid this kind of behavior is kind of common in team sports. I was just reading an article on ESPN that was talking about one of the Lakers MAYBE going after Dwayne Wade tomorrow for the across the face foul he gave Kobe in the NBA All-Star game. I'm sure there is similar things in hockey, baseball, etc. I know in baseball if a pitcher beans an opposing player, it is not uncommon for the other pitcher to retaliate when he gets back on the mound. I guess in the end, that's sports for ya. Doesn't make it right, but that's the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Well, to be fair to the Saints I'm afraid this kind of behavior is kind of common in team sports. I was just reading an article on ESPN that was talking about one of the Lakers MAYBE going after Dwayne Wade tomorrow for the across the face foul he gave Kobe in the NBA All-Star game. I'm sure there is similar things in hockey, baseball, etc. I know in baseball if a pitcher beans an opposing player, it is not uncommon for the other pitcher to retaliate when he gets back on the mound. I guess in the end, that's sports for ya. Doesn't make it right, but that's the way it is.
    This bounty thing is a whole different animal from these examples mentioned. The Lakers example reflects a specific retaliation for a specific event. It doesn't appear there is any money involved, just more a tit-for-tat.

The baseball example is generally the same situation. When a pitcher beans an opposing player, he wasn't trying to hit the batter, he was brushing him back from the plate, and the beaning was purely accidental. When the opposing pitcher retaliates, he never tries to bean someone (a head shot), it is only to send a message to the entire team that if you hit one of ours, we'll hit one of yours, and that's the end of it. Again, a tit-for-tat with no money involved.

This bounty garbage has nothing to do with retaliation. It sounds like a player is being paid a premium to intentionally cause physical injury to an opposing player, the type of injury could be game ending, season ending, or even career ending. This type of behavior has absolutely no place in any professional sport. As far as I'm concerned, a player found guilty of this should be banned from the game for at least a complete season! How's that for sending a message?
    mattfivefour likes this.

18 And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit,

Quote Originally Posted by anath View Post
    That's a sad commentary on our society, isn't it? It's ok if you don't get caught.

Many years ago, I followed football pretty closely, not a rabid fan or anything, but a fan nonetheless. In recent years both Kim and I have gotten away from football in favor of baseball. It's a much more mature game with no grandstanding when a player makes an exceptional play. By and large, the teams respect each other and don't show each other up.
    mattfivefour likes this.

Ducati is offline Citizen

Its a shame that stuff like this is done in professional sports....hence the word "professional". I'm sure its more common then most sports fans would like to admit and when exposed brings a black mark on the game.

Thats why ya gotta love the Pittsburgh Steelers , clean and mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducati View Post
    Its a shame that stuff like this is done in professional sports....hence the word "professional". I'm sure its more common then most sports fans would like to admit and when exposed brings a black mark on the game.

Well, both "clean and mean" are subjective terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducati View Post

Yeah, nothing like a nice clean and mean jarring by Troy Polamalu. Love them Steelers!!

Quote Originally Posted by SonSeeker View Post
    This bounty thing is a whole different animal from these examples mentioned. The Lakers example reflects a specific retaliation for a specific event. It doesn't appear there is any money involved, just more a tit-for-tat.

The baseball example is generally the same situation. When a pitcher beans an opposing player, he wasn't trying to hit the batter, he was brushing him back from the plate, and the beaning was purely accidental. When the opposing pitcher retaliates, he never tries to bean someone (a head shot), it is only to send a message to the entire team that if you hit one of ours, we'll hit one of yours, and that's the end of it. Again, a tit-for-tat with no money involved.

This bounty garbage has nothing to do with retaliation. It sounds like a player is being paid a premium to intentionally cause physical injury to an opposing player, the type of injury could be game ending, season ending, or even career ending. This type of behavior has absolutely no place in any professional sport. As far as I'm concerned, a player found guilty of this should be banned from the game for at least a complete season! How's that for sending a message?
    Those are good points. I can agree with that.
    mattfivefour likes this.

Thread Information