• 1 Post By froggy
  • 1 Post By YeuEmMaiMai
  • 1 Post By WKUHilltopper

Thread: Scientist Devises Computer Powered by Crabs

Bookmark and Share
    Meg
    Meg is offline Citizen

Default Scientist Devises Computer Powered by Crabs

The very latest technological breakthrough from Japan!!

http://mashable.com/2012/04/13/crab-powered-computer/

We’re prepared for all sorts of nightmare scenarios of the end of modern society, from hordes of marauding zombies to a Terminator-like robot apocalypse. But mankind’s downfall may instead be caused by trillions of crabs, lashing out at humanity because they’ve been put to work powering our computing systems. In one of the oddest technological advances of recent times, scientists in Japan have created a very basic computer using swarms of soldier crabs.

Yukio-Pegio Gunji, a researcher at Kobe University in Japan, observed that soldier crabs have unusual behavior — when two swarms meet, they become one swarm heading in the direction that is the sum of their velocities. It is this behavior that led Gunji to theorize that crabs could be used to create the AND, OR, and NOT logic functions that serve as the backbone for modern computers. And so the team of researchers created a virtual crab computer, and after that met with some success, created a real-life crab computer.

In this case, the usual 0s and 1s of binary code were replaced with the absence of presence of a group of crabs, respectively. To get the crabs to move, scientists needed to employ a shadow to make the crabs believe that a bird was about to swoop down and… well, eat the computer.

froggy is offline Resident

Default Re: Scientist Devises Computer Powered by Crabs

I wonder if they could form a computer from hordes of rebellious teenagers who also share a predictable behavior-----doing the exact opposite of what they are told to do.----just think of all the power of their collective angst.
    Meg likes this.
    Gal3:3 "Are ye so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?"

Just remember, wherever you go-- there you are.
    So stop running and just face the awful truth.
    There is nothing good in you and you can't improve yourself.
    Time to nail your old stinky carcass to the cross and let Jesus create the new you in Him!

"I never said He was safe. But He is GOOD!"

Meg
    Meg is offline Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by froggy View Post
    I wonder if they could form a computer from hordes of rebellious teenagers who also share a predictable behavior-----doing the exact opposite of what they are told to do.----just think of all the power of their collective angst.
    BRILLIANT!!!

YeuEmMaiMai is offline Citizen

Now that is going to be one crabby computer lol....
    Meg likes this.

Perhaps we'll see the 'computer special' at Red Lobster one day...
    SonSeeker likes this.
    WESTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY HILLTOPPERS: 45 basketball conference championships, third-most in NCAA history. 43 seasons with 20+ wins, sixth-most in NCAA history. 38 All-Americans, 37 national post-season appearances, 23 NCAA Tournament berths. 14th in NCAA history in all-time wins. 8th in NCAA history in all-time winning percentage. 2002 NCAA Division 1AA National Football Champions, 2012 Little Caesar's Bowl

Carl is offline Citizen

I am temporarily speechless!
    Don't jump at me I'm no conclusion

Thread Information