• 4 Post By JC1949
  • 1 Post By mattfivefour
  • 2 Post By Any Minute
  • 2 Post By mattfivefour

Thread: Typical number of earthquakes each year

Bookmark and Share
    dcbrott99 is offline Member

Default Typical number of earthquakes each year

I found this on the USGS website that tells how many earthquakes of a particular magnitude is normal each year:

Earthquake Facts and Statistics

It says, for example, that worldwide there is typically one magnitude 8 and highter earthquake per year. Does anyone know how many earthquakes we have had in the past year. I know, for example, that we had 2 magnitude 8 earthquakes just a couple of days ago and it seems like we may have had more in the past year though I'm not sure. Also, it says that there are typically 15 magnitude 7-7.9 earthquakes per year and I'm almost positive we have had more than that in the past year. Just wondering if anyone knew where I could find data on numbers for the past year? Thanks!

mattfivefour is offline Super Moderator

Default Re: Typical number of earthquakes each year

This is a most useful post! Thank you for the link! I strongly suggest all members check out their data against this list before posting anything about the number of earthquakes this (or any other) year being significant in some way.

(BTW, dc, the two magnitude 8's were essentially part of the same tectonic movement as they occurred in roughly the same geographic area, within a few kilometers of each other, 2 hours and 5 minutes apart, but at different depths. They thus we might concede they only technically exceed the average. And, of course an "average" is just that. Still, we are not quite one-third way through the year.)
    -------"You are not your own; you are bought with a price." 1 Corinthians 6:19b-20a

------ ------ ------

Quote Originally Posted by mattfivefour View Post
    This is a most useful post! Thank you for the link! I strongly suggest all members check out their data against this list before posting anything about the number of earthquakes this (or any other) year being significant in some way.

(BTW, dc, the two magnitude 8's were essentially part of the same tectonic movement as they occurred in roughly the same geographic area, within a few kilometers of each other, 2 hours and 5 minutes apart, but at different depths. They thus we might concede they only technically exceed the average. And, of course an "average" is just that. Still, we are not quite one-third way through the year.)
    Yeah, I kind of thought that the 2 8's might technically count as one since one was probably an aftershock of the other. However, I don't know how the USGS counts them. Anyway, it seems that there have been more quakes lately than normal but I'd really like some hard data to back that up rather than just a feeling.

Silly me, I just found out if I scroll down on the link I posted it gives the data from 2000-2012. It is counting that we have had 2 8+ quakes so far in 2012. In 2007 there were 4 8+ but no general upward trend there. The 7+, 6+, and especially 5+ do show a general upward trend in number of earthquakes over the time period of 2000-2012. Very interesting but still difficult to prove whether there is an actual increase in the number of quakes or that we are just getting better at detecting them.
    mattfivefour likes this.

Littlejoe is offline Citizen

We have to see what Jesus was saying about the end of the age..We have to keep it in context of the Matthew 24:4-8 ,Luke 21:10.Jesus knew there have always been earthquakes ,just as Wars! But Matthew 24,we have to go back a few verses,this is the "Key" to the prophecy" Jesus gave us what the signs mean,he said WHEN we see not earthquakes,or just wars are the sign of the end,its when we see everything coming at the same time!When we see earthquakes at the time Wars,rumors of wars ,nation against nation ,ethnic groups against ethnic.Thats the punchline,when we see these things happening at the same time,then its the begininning of "Sorrows" or the birth Pangs..Then this generation that starts to these events,will not pass away til all is complete..So yeah earthquakes in general are no biggie......

Littlejoe is offline Citizen

One things for certain ,the weather is becoming more desrtuctive ,events are becoming closer and closer together.For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now" (Rom:8:22For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.). Some of these birthpangs include "natural" disasters like earthquakes and tsunamis, which can often trigger further death and devastation, as illustrated by the tragic nuclear plant catastrophe in Japan..

Question: Considering the catastrophic devastation in Japan, how can you be so certain that extreme weather, earthquakes... | thebereancall.org

JC1949 is offline Citizen

Whatever is happening NOW ( before THE RAPTURE of THE BRIDE) is in my modest opinion not related to Matthew 24 and similar passages in the synoptic Gospels because the earthquakes and wars etc. ...to which The Lord was referring will take place during the GREAT TRIBULATION and will increase then in a dramatic crescendo.
    We are still in the AGE of GRACE.
    If now is BAD out there,just wait .....it is going to be ATROCIOUS then....He said: Matthew 24:21-22
    21For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

22And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

NOW is THE TIME TO PREACH HIS GOSPEL,regardless how many will believe and be saved,we are called to PREACH THE WORD.
    It is true that there are countless of false preachings and fake believers and the rest of cults ( see ,ISLAM,ROMAN CATHOLICISM,JWS,MORMONISM,WOF,KINGDOM NOW and other 1000's -ISMS) but we are still in a relative good shape....
    But just go read Matthew 24 and see for yourself.

Good teaching, Roberto.

Proclamare il messaggio, mio fratello! Quelli con orecchie spirituali lo sente.
    Any Minute likes this.
    -------"You are not your own; you are bought with a price." 1 Corinthians 6:19b-20a

------ ------ ------

Good teaching, Roberto.

Proclamare il messaggio, mio fratello! Quelli con orecchie spirituali lo sente.

[23] No posting in foreign languages. This is an English speaking board, please communicate in English, type proper english with correct letters, use a dictionary when necessary. Greek and Hebrew words are an exception for clarifying scripture. Any other foreign words must be associated with their definition. Informal writing is allowed.

I agree jesuschangesall, in any language!!
    mattfivefour and JC1949 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ANY MINUTE View Post

[23] No posting in foreign languages. This is an English speaking board, please communicate in English, type proper english with correct letters, use a dictionary when necessary. Greek and Hebrew words are an exception for clarifying scripture. Any other foreign words must be associated with their definition. Informal writing is allowed.
    I shall now give the interpretation of the tongues: "Proclaim the message, my brother. Those with spiritual ears will hear it."

I agree jesuschangesall, in any language!!
    Amen!
    JC1949 and Any Minute like this.

------ ------ ------

JC1949 is offline Citizen

I shall now give the interpretation of the tongues: "Proclaim the message, my brother. Those with spiritual ears will hear it."

Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by jesuschangesall View Post

------ ------ ------

Thread Information