Genetic Counseling
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By livin_in_the_Son
  • 1 Post By ShilohRose

Thread: Genetic Counseling

Bookmark and Share
    arapahoepark is offline Citizen

Default Genetic Counseling

What do you all think of genetic counseling?
    I think it's personally a joke, it's eugenics in a disguise.

Now not all I think is wrong but remember what God said to Moses: Who made the deaf, mute, the seeing or the blind? Was it not I?

Default Re: Genetic Counseling

Quote Originally Posted by arapahoepark View Post

Now not all I think is wrong but remember what God said to Moses: Who made the deaf, mute, the seeing or the blind? Was it not I?
    I'm really not sure what "genetic counseling" is, but I know several people getting DNA tests to see what their lineage is, etc. I just tell them they're nuts and are paying for tests, out of their own pockets, where this information is probably being reserved for a national data base.

There are some court rulings proclaiming any blood drawn out of you no longer belongs to you. Not a long trip to conclude the same "rationale" applies to DNA as well.
    WESTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY HILLTOPPERS: 45 basketball conference championships, third-most in NCAA history. 43 seasons with 20+ wins, sixth-most in NCAA history. 38 All-Americans, 37 national post-season appearances, 23 NCAA Tournament berths. 14th in NCAA history in all-time wins. 8th in NCAA history in all-time winning percentage. 2002 NCAA Division 1AA National Football Champions, 2012 Little Caesar's Bowl

WKU,

Genetic counseling is when parents, or potential parents-to-be at risk of passing on a genetic disorder to offspring are counseled about options, treatments, and death stats. I think it's all crap because no one really KNOWS what's gonna happen in the future. I know a girl who just celebrated her 32 birthday, her parents were told she wouldn't live past 12. That's also why I never opted for the screening during pregnancy, I knew that if God's plan was for me to have a specific child, that's who I would get, and I would love them the same. Even if they were only around for 5 minutes, or confined to a bed for 50.
    arapahoepark likes this.

ShilohRose is offline Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by arapahoepark View Post

This is one of those difficult areas to me. I can see the value of it if there is a history of particular birth defects or genetic disorders in the family. It would be good to know whether or not you carry the gene. My cousin took a chance, hoping she did not have a gene for a disorder that is potentially life-threatening during pregnancy. Her mother does not have it, and her aunts do. Both of them had very difficult pregnancies. She chose to get pregnant, hoping she did not have the gene. She nearly died. I think I'd want to know if I had something like this.

On the other hand, I think this will be abused. People will be counselled to abort children, I suspect. I know that a dr. advised me and my husband to abort one of my children because she had Trisomy 18, but we didn't do it.

(By the way, I'm glad to see you back.)
    YeuEmMaiMai likes this.

arapahoepark is offline Citizen

hmm....actually one of my favorite movies in GATTACA. Idk if you have seen it but it's similar. There's this guy who was conceived the natural way...no genetically engineered from his parent's DNA to represent the best of them like his younger brother was.....well basically he wants to e an astronaut and so....well here's the synopsis:
    Gattaca - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by livin_in_the_Son View Post
    WKU,

Genetic counseling is when parents, or potential parents-to-be at risk of passing on a genetic disorder to offspring are counseled about options, treatments, and death stats. I think it's all crap because no one really KNOWS what's gonna happen in the future. I know a girl who just celebrated her 32 birthday, her parents were told she wouldn't live past 12. That's also why I never opted for the screening during pregnancy, I knew that if God's plan was for me to have a specific child, that's who I would get, and I would love them the same. Even if they were only around for 5 minutes, or confined to a bed for 50.
    Thanks...I did look it up after posting that. But I agree--its crap.
    WESTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY HILLTOPPERS: 45 basketball conference championships, third-most in NCAA history. 43 seasons with 20+ wins, sixth-most in NCAA history. 38 All-Americans, 37 national post-season appearances, 23 NCAA Tournament berths. 14th in NCAA history in all-time wins. 8th in NCAA history in all-time winning percentage. 2002 NCAA Division 1AA National Football Champions, 2012 Little Caesar's Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohRose View Post
    This is one of those difficult areas to me. I can see the value of it if there is a history of particular birth defects or genetic disorders in the family. It would be good to know whether or not you carry the gene. My cousin took a chance, hoing she did not have a gene for a disorder that is potentially life-threatening during pregnancy. Her mother does not have it, and her aunts do. Both of them had very difficult pregnancies. She chose to get pregnant, hoping she did not have the gene. She nearly died. I think I'd want to know if I had something like this.

On the other hand, I think this will be abused. People will be counselled to abort children, I suspect. I know that a dr. advised me and my husband to abort one of my children because she had Trisomy 18, but we didn't do it.

Shiloh...I can understand what you're saying, but a person can have a difficult pregnancy and almost die even without some funky gene. With my oldest, I contracted Viral Meningitis at 5 months, had a guy break into my barracks and assault me, and went into pre-term labor and put on bed rest. With my youngest I had a placental abruption, and we both almost died. Knowing or not knowing doesn't protect someone, and it can create more fear. Plus, if parents are known to carry a gene for a disorder, more extreme, invasive tests are ordered if pregnancy is achieved, which leads to more amniocentesis, (which can cause miscarriage) and more abortions. It's not saving anyone. I hope this doesn't come off as harsh, I say it with love.

ShilohRose is offline Citizen

[QUOTE=livin_in_the_Son;841935190]Shiloh...I can understand what you're saying, but a person can have a difficult pregnancy and almost die even without some funky gene. With my oldest, I contracted Viral Meningitis at 5 months, had a guy break into my barracks and assault me, and went into pre-term labor and put on bed rest. With my youngest I had a placental abruption, and we both almost died. Knowing or not knowing doesn't protect someone, and it can create more fear. Plus, if parents are known to carry a gene for a disorder, more extreme, invasive tests are ordered if pregnancy is achieved, which leads to more amniocentesis, (which can cause miscarriage) and more abortions. It's not saving anyone. I hope this doesn't come off as harsh, I say it with love. [/QUOTE

I don't think you were harsh at all. It's true that anyone can have a difficult pregnancy, and this topic is one I'm going to have to think on some more. I grew up with the idea that the more you know about something you better off you are; this could be an exception to that.

YeuEmMaiMai is offline Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohRose View Post
    This is one of those difficult areas to me. I can see the value of it if there is a history of particular birth defects or genetic disorders in the family. It would be good to know whether or not you carry the gene. My cousin took a chance, hoping she did not have a gene for a disorder that is potentially life-threatening during pregnancy. Her mother does not have it, and her aunts do. Both of them had very difficult pregnancies. She chose to get pregnant, hoping she did not have the gene. She nearly died. I think I'd want to know if I had something like this.

I agree with this, God gave us knowledge and it is up to us to use it for proper things

Thread Information