Earthquake in english channel.

Thread: Earthquake in english channel.

Bookmark and Share
    daygo is offline Citizen

Cross Earthquake in english channel.

An earthquake 3.9 magnitude was in the English channel near Portsmouth about 10km down according to the experts. I would say thats big for round here.

Default Re: Earthquake in english channel.

That's pretty remarkable--that's not even in the so-called "ring of fire" too, right? (I'll have to find some graphic on it)

I'm wondering if the New Madrid fault (about 400 miles as the crow flies from me) isn't on the "hit parade" now....
    WESTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY HILLTOPPERS: 45 basketball conference championships, third-most in NCAA history. 43 seasons with 20+ wins, sixth-most in NCAA history. 38 All-Americans, 37 national post-season appearances, 23 NCAA Tournament berths. 14th in NCAA history in all-time wins. 8th in NCAA history in all-time winning percentage. 2002 NCAA Division 1AA National Football Champions, 2012 Little Caesar's Bowl

daygo is offline Citizen

Cross Re: Earthquake in english channel.

Thats correct, nowhere near any earthquake zones that I know of, it is indeed remarkable, certainly says something to you.

Quote Originally Posted by daygo View Post
    , certainly says something to you.
    Yep, sure does.

Man, must be getting old--I guess the "ring of fire" is pretty much all concentrated in the pacific ocean area. I was thinking some of it extended to the North Atlantic area, especially given the volcanoes going off in Iceland. Must be getting senile.

WESTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY HILLTOPPERS: 45 basketball conference championships, third-most in NCAA history. 43 seasons with 20+ wins, sixth-most in NCAA history. 38 All-Americans, 37 national post-season appearances, 23 NCAA Tournament berths. 14th in NCAA history in all-time wins. 8th in NCAA history in all-time winning percentage. 2002 NCAA Division 1AA National Football Champions, 2012 Little Caesar's Bowl

Sean Osborne is offline Citizen

Yes, there is a fault line which runs smack dab down the middle of the English Channel. This fault line is where southern England tore away from France in the past. You can see in this image how the southern coast of England would fit nicely into the French coast line - like pieces of a tectonic puzzle. Big star is quake location; little dots are previous quakes in this region.

Thread Information