To some kids, the bright colors and bite-size packaging of single-doss packets of laundry detergent simply look too much like candy. Last night, one-and-a-half-year-old Jeivon Williams put one in his mouth and it burst. He was rushed to the emergency room with severe nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
The packets are advertised as no more mess, spills or heavy jugs of detergent, but the American Association of Poison Control Centers is reporting a recent surge in calls about the packets making children violently ill.
"The children who are getting into these little pods are developing many more symptoms than we would have expected," Bruce Ruck, director of drug information and professional education at New Jersey Poison Center, told ABC News.
The same thing that gives the packets their cute, convenient appeal is the very reason they are so incredibly dangerous. The container for Tide Pods even resembles a candy jar.
Responding to the concerns, Tide told ABC News it plans to have new child proof containers out this summer and the detergent company, Dropps, defended its products.