Rice

Thread: Rice

Bookmark and Share
    Obie is offline Citizen

Default Rice

Heard someone talking about cooking rice in a double-boiler pot. How is this done, I've never heard of it.

I have no clue, but since I read the magic word "rice", I must tell you how I make mine. Sorry for intruding, but I had to.

Ok, you use 2 cups of chicken broth for every 1 cup of dry rice. I use Riceland Rice. I use the largest can of chicken broth (Swanson's). If you use the largest can, you usually need 2 2/3 cups of rice. I know that's "off" a bit, but believe me it works.

Boil the chicken broth and add 1 stick of butter. When it comes to a boil, be careful not to burn it, add the dry rice. Bring to another boil. Cover it tightly, and put it in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Pre-heat the oven before you start making the rice. When the rice is done DON'T uncover it. Set it on the stove and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then, you may uncover it and eat. It's delish!!
    Baruch ata Adonai Elohenu, Melech ha Olam Y'shua Ha Meshiach!

Obie is offline Citizen

Sounds great, Ort. Thanks. But I still want to know about this double-boiler thingy.

Shalom,
    Obie

readytogo is offline Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Obie View Post
    Heard someone talking about cooking rice in a double-boiler pot. How is this done, I've never heard of it.

Well, I grew up in Southwest Louisiana where we usually had rice once or twice a day (my father was a rice farmer when I was a kid). I've never heard of cooking rice in a double boiler! Now, when there was leftover rice that we wanted to reheat we would put it in what we called a double boiler which was really more of a "steamer" since the top pot had holes in it. I can't imagine how someone could cook it in a real double boiler!

Well, I stand corrected! I did a little bit of searching, and found this from a Fanny Farmer cookbook from 1918!

Steamed Rice
    1 cup rice 23/4 to 31/4 cups boiling water
    1 teaspoon salt (according to age of rice)
    Put salt and water in top of double boiler, place on range, and add gradually well-washed rice, stirring with a fork to prevent adhering to boiler. Boil five minutes, cover, place over under part double boiler, and steam forty-five minutes, or until kernels are soft; uncover, that steam may escape. When rice is steamed for a simple dessert, use one-half quantity of water given in recipe, and steam until rice has absorbed water; then add scalded milk for remaining liquid.

Italian "risotto" is also sometimes cooked in a double boiler.

Obie is offline Citizen

Wow, you did some research!! That double-boiler thing sounds iffy to me. I'll just stick to the tried and true method. Thanks, y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by Obie View Post
    Wow, you did some research!! That double-boiler thing sounds iffy to me. I'll just stick to the tried and true method. Thanks, y'all.
    Yep! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Thread Information