• 1 Post By Meg
  • 1 Post By nillapoet
  • 3 Post By Neohistory

Thread: Questions of seeking

Bookmark and Share
    Neohistory is offline Member

Default Questions of seeking

Okay, I'm going to lay it out like this:

So the Holy Spirit has fired up in me as of recently and the current events happening are really streamlining with each passing day. I'm engaged in a long term relationship, looking to get married December 2013, In college doing 14 hours (have been doing 18 as the last 2 semesters were my nose-to-the-grindstone parts of it all), so I'm going to start praying about find time to witness.

Witnessing, I have never done it, but I feel my heart growing bigger for those who are lost, and I use to say I hated people (a lot of my life I had to be alone, was sort of withdrawn but have changed a lot) so my question is, if I have never done this, what are some key scriptures someone should present to another in regards to helping lead people to Christ? It's easy to go to Church and be on here with believers (which is VERY important to gain strength) but I feel it's not good enough anymore, for myself personally. I'm trying to figure out what are some other ways to do this? Perhaps I guess get involved with a church, but that just makes my schedule more demanding. Perhaps, there is some kind of "Entrepreneurship" in saving souls, if you will.

While church is important, I feel apostasy is growing ,and it is more important to depend on The Lord our God for guidance, and if we really believe in Him, He should assist us in this...I suppose the question is do I have the courage? I am going to really pray about this, but any advice is welcomed. I probably have an easier time being in Oklahoma, but I know making it easier is not the point, it's bring more people to a saving faith in Jesus. But even if I save a few, I feel God is happy enough with that...we aren't all able to be Paul and hit the road, I know He understands that.

So, does anyone have advice for me?

God Bless.

readytogo is offline Citizen

Default Re: Questions of seeking

One thing that might get some of the pressure off of you is correcting a mistake made by many Christians. No matter how much (or little) you do, you can't "lead someone to Christ". This is the job of the Holy Spirit to draw people to Him. There aren't any phrases that will "work" with any and all. What you say to one person might resonate with them and completely turn off the next person---they're all individuals. Another tip is the saying, "Before you talk to someone about God, talk to God about that someone!". Ask for guidance from the Holy Spirit to lead you to say what will "hit" that person. We are called to plant seeds...We aren't called to stand there and argue the plant out of the ground. Since you seem to be on the "shy side", you might want to get a few gospel tracts to hand out to people after you've had a chance to pray about who to give them to. Don't engage someone in an argument with someone about Christ. They're probably standing there trying to remember comebacks that they've heard from someone else and aren't really interested in what you're saying. I've never seen anyone come to Christ immediately after arguing with someone else. It takes time. Take a tip from farmers at the time of the gospel. They didn't plant a seed and then stand there waiting and expecting it to bear fruit. They scattered the seed broadly in a field, and walked on to allow God to send the rain that would help it grow.

Others with more experience will surely come along with responses. I just thought that I'd give
    BrotherKev likes this.

mattfivefour is offline Super Moderator

Bro, the "Romans Road" is the easiest path from man's need to God's provision.

In its most basic form the Romans Road is—

Romans 3:23
    Romans 6:23
    Romans 10:9-10.

You will note that those three passages (a total of just four verses) give the bare bones of man's need, man's inability and God's provision. It does not take too long to go through that with somebody.

If you have more time, the the full Romans Road is—

Romans 3:23
    Romans 3:10-18
    Romans 6:23
    Romans 5:8
    Romans 10:13
    Romans 10:9-10
    Romans 5:1
    Romans 8:1
    Romans 8:38-39

I think as you read those scriptures you will see the completeness of the message. You can mark them in your Bible and put a note at the end of each one pointing to the next one in order. This way you won't forget or fumble for the next one, but can cruise smoothly through them one by one in front of the person you are witnessing to.
    BrotherKev likes this.
    -------"You are not your own; you are bought with a price." 1 Corinthians 6:19b-20a

------ ------ ------

Meg
    Meg is offline Citizen

If you want to reach out to the lost, I recommend getting to know the person/people you wish to reach. Trying to guess which verses might appeal to a stranger seems random to me. I think the Bible is best employed to answer questions and underscore truths that arise from conversation. As to thinking you need loads of experience before you can witness, I have this story to share.

Back in 2003, I met a young man at work who was there for a few hours to do some sort of tech service. I met him once, and talked to him for 2 hours or so. At this time, I had been a Christian for maybe 6 or 8 weeks, talk about newbie!! Yet, the questions the man had in hos heart were very similar to my own unique experiences in a certain (spiritual) area, and we made a strong connection; he was able to open up to me about a terrifying experience he had suffered a few years before. We had quite an interesting conversation, and he explained he was a Buddhist, former Catholic. I asked him who he thought God was, and he explained Buddhism has no God. I asked him, who does he pray to then... When we parted ways, he had a lot to think about. And a little sprout of a Christian (me at the time) had just done something to serve the Lord.
    BrotherKev likes this.

nillapoet is offline Citizen

Talking to people for a few minutes helps.

Side story time. I was in the ER Sunday night, before getting my gall bladder removed and I was talking to the nurse for a little while. And eventually I told her I felt compelled to ask her this question. I asked her if she knew where she was going when she died. I encouraged her to look into christianity as I've found that it is the most provable outlook on the afterlife I've ever encountered. There's so much proof outside of the Bible for it's validity.

Maybe it's because I was on pain killers, or thinking I was dying. But I wasn't going to let an opportunity pass to plant a seed.

I'm usually scared to witness for some reason, maybe it's because I don't know how to go about it. (One reason I want to start a christian clothing line, so people ask me about the shirts) But I think God took the lead in the this case.

Sorry for the spacey rant. I hope it helps encourage you though.
    Meg likes this.

Neohistory is offline Member

Thank you all for the comments. I have prayed more about this, and realize that I should submit myself to God, and His will shall, be done. I have talked about a ridiculous class I have this semester dealing with "wellness" and it really just seems like college is pushing, or helping to push, the whole "me me me" centerd-ness. Well, I received an email from my professor of this class, and her father passed away over the weekend. We had no prior knowledge to this, and she never had talked about it (although she could have not felt like talking about it.) I remembered what a few of you said, and the planting of the seed.

Now, I cannot really know for sure if she knows the Lord or not, but just in case, I sent an email in response to her cancelling class this week, and I said I was "praying for you and your family in regards to losing your father", and ended with a God Bless like I try to, hoping people see that and maybe that's the seed, God willing, will grow in their minds and help them to seek Jesus. I know this must be a very painful moment in her life, and I feel scoffers would attack me for reaching out to her, but I feel this is the opportunity to reach out, especially if she is in a lot of pain (which I could only imagine.)

Once again, I wanted to thank you all for your input, and I wanted to share this experience incase others have questions in regards to this topic. Do not trust man to lead you, but trust in God Almighty, YHWH, and pray to Him the Most High in regards to helping people...since He is where we all should start.
    mattfivefour, Meg and nillapoet like this.

Thread Information