Wow, what a jump start to the day, to see a jumbo jetliner floating down the Hudson River and knowing that all the passengers got out alive and well. All due to the captain of the plane, who did the best job under what's called "extreme circumstances." And from what I hear, none of the passengers panicked; they put on their life preservers, took "the position," and put their faith in the pilot's expertise. What a great story.

I didn't hear about any passengers trying to save themselves by jumping out the windows, or people trying to grasp the bags full of their earthly stuff to save them, or looking towards other people to save them. That pilot was their "salvation." He landed the plane, got the doors open, and then risked his life, as the plane was filling with water, to walk the aisles twice making sure nobody was left behind. What a guy. What a hero!

How often do we think of the Lord Jesus Christ as our Hero? We know He is. As believers, we trust completely in Him as our Savior. We don't (or shouldn't) trust in our money or earthly possessions to save us, or tether us to the earth longer. We don't trust in other people to save us -- although if someone does save us from a bad situation, Who do you think sent that person? By our complete surrender and submission to Jesus Christ, and nobody else, at the end of our lives, He's the One Who will take us to be with Him for eternity. Like the pilot who popped open the plane doors, Jesus Christ IS The Door -- "If anyone enters by Me, he wil be saved" (John 10:9). That pilot, under extreme circumstances, risked his life to save passengers. Jesus Christ, under the extreme circumstances of our sin, "came to seek and save the lost" (Matt 18:11). He gave His own life, and He took it back again. He is my Hero.