Apparently Max and Ruby are no longer suitable
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By livin_in_the_Son
  • 3 Post By Hannah
  • 1 Post By FaithInChrist

Thread: Apparently Max and Ruby are no longer suitable

Bookmark and Share

Default Apparently Max and Ruby are no longer suitable

Every once in awhile I let my 4yr old watch cartoons, and she loves Max and Ruby, the two children rabbits that may live alone cause they never show a parent (except for the occasional grandma rabbit). Well, today's show was about Cinderella, Ruby and her friend were pretending they were both the fairy tale maid-turned-princess, while the brother rabbit was doing stuff. Long story short, the grandma came over to find the real cinderella (i.e. whom ever's foot fit in the glass slipper), and lo andbehold, it fit only on the brother rabbit (not the girls).

I have now cancelled my cable.

nillapoet is offline Citizen

Default Re: Apparently Max and Ruby are no longer suitable

Seriously? I watch that show with my kids all the time. I don't think anything ambivalent was meant by it.

Quote Originally Posted by nillapoet View Post
    Seriously? I watch that show with my kids all the time. I don't think anything ambivalent was meant by it.
    Maybe I'm reading into it, but having the boy be the true princess vs. the girls was probably not a great message to put out there. I'm not talking about the occasional boy grabbing sister's fake crown and saying 'mommy look at me'....the grandma came over and they declared Max was the true cinderella.

But cancelling my cable has been coming for some time. Just go check out the new fall shows for half the networks, some of the shows are gonna be beyond ridiculous.

nillapoet is offline Citizen

I apologize if I came off harsh. It was a moment of frustration. Having watched the show almost everyday (my 3 year old loves it), the recurrent theme is that Max is the one that accidentally always ends up solving the "problem" Ruby has. I do agree that tv is pretty much garbage now though.

Quote Originally Posted by nillapoet View Post
    I apologize if I came off harsh. It was a moment of frustration. Having watched the show almost everyday (my 3 year old loves it), the recurrent theme is that Max is the one that accidentally always ends up solving the "problem" Ruby has. I do agree that tv is pretty much garbage now though.
    Oh, I'm familiar with the show, which is why it was acceptable....but I don't think you were harsh, just maybe that my point wasn't clear. I know parents who allow their kids watch Spongebob, and others who think that spongebob is awful. It's a personal opinion.

As for me, I'm the militant mom, I don't allow video games during the week, cartoons are limited, and this summer all my kids are enrolled in a summer reading program.
    FaithInChrist likes this.

Hannah is offline Citizen

We invested in lots of videos of old cartoons from my youth that we played for my step-children as they grew up and that was a long time ago.

So my step-children and now our grandchild watched the old bugs bunny, huckleberry hound and other good shows like that. Not that they didn't have some violence and other stuff in them but they were far more innocent than what we get today.

Same with movies. We hired a lot of movies in those days but have bought many old classics which we will be showing our grandchild when he gets bigger.

I trust nothing on the TV. Even if the show is good some of the commercials they put on with kids shows is very disturbing.

I can't believe how perverted and wicked the world has become since my own childhood.

mattfivefour is online now Super Moderator

-------"You are not your own; you are bought with a price." 1 Corinthians 6:19b-20a

------ ------ ------

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    We invested in lots of videos of old cartoons from my youth that we played for my step-children as they grew up and that was a long time ago.

So my step-children and now our grandchild watched the old bugs bunny, huckleberry hound and other good shows like that. Not that they didn't have some violence and other stuff in them but they were far more innocent than what we get today.

Same with movies. We hired a lot of movies in those days but have bought many old classics which we will be showing our grandchild when he gets bigger.

I trust nothing on the TV. Even if the show is good some of the commercials they put on with kids shows is very disturbing.

I can't believe how perverted and wicked the world has become since my own childhood.
    Hannah,

I completely agree! I have a standing policy in my house that I have to watch before they get to...I just saw a commercial for Kraft 'anything' dressing, where it's said that the dressing is no longer 'exclusively with lettuce' but 'seeing other foods'.....and the ad in a magazine I saw stated that they broke up and are now in an 'open relationship'.....sure it's funny, people use ranch or honey mustard dressings in other recipes and not just on salads, but the connotation is there to compare to real people's relationships. Not being exclusive, no committment, the boy being a princess....these are all horrible messages to broadcast to our young, impressionable, innocent, children....where is the line?

At least when we were kids there were such things as sensors to make sure the content was suitable for families. I have always said that I was born in the wrong century because of what I feel is suitable for my children (clothes, music, and tv)...I take Matt 18:5-6 seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by livin_in_the_Son View Post
    Hannah,

I completely agree! I have a standing policy in my house that I have to watch before they get to...I just saw a commercial for Kraft 'anything' dressing, where it's said that the dressing is no longer 'exclusively with lettuce' but 'seeing other foods'.....and the ad in a magazine I saw stated that they broke up and are now in an 'open relationship'.....sure it's funny, people use ranch or honey mustard dressings in other recipes and not just on salads, but the connotation is there to compare to real people's relationships. Not being exclusive, no committment, the boy being a princess....these are all horrible messages to broadcast to our young, impressionable, innocent, children....where is the line?

At least when we were kids there were such things as sensors to make sure the content was suitable for families. I have always said that I was born in the wrong century because of what I feel is suitable for my children (clothes, music, and tv)...I take Matt 18:5-6 seriously.
    TV today is trash, it is hard to find anything wholesome for kids (and adults) to watch. I am considering cancelling our cable too, we can get netflix, pay $10 a month instead of $80 and pick the things we want to watch.

My daughter (now 17) loved Max and Ruby when she was little (it's been around awhile). I loved her watching Max and Ruby and Little Bear because they were calm and always relaxed her before naptime. That was before I was a Christian. I watched Little Bear with my grandson (my 24 year old's son, not my 16 year olds) the other day and on the cartoon they were celebrating the pagan holiday, winter solstice. I had seen this episode before when my daughter was younger, but now I found it disturbing to be showing young children how to celebrate a pagan holiday.

It is subtle and seems so innocent, but I truly believe that nothing that makes it on the airwaves is an accident, I believe that every action on TV is well thought out and does have a message behind it. These little scripts of questionable content are like innoculations that slowly erode the line between black and white, making the world gray and confusing to our children.
    livin_in_the_Son likes this.

Thread Information