Men's Hearts Will Fail Them From Fear....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Men's Hearts Will Fail Them From Fear....

Bookmark and Share
    WhisperWisdom is offline Faithfully Yours Lord!

Default Men's Hearts Will Fail Them From Fear....

The whole prepping movement has started to really gain some steam this year. Surprisenly enough, I have yet to hear that the Mayan prophecy of 2012 is a reason why so many are now storing up food, water, and ammunition. For most, they fear society's breakdown. (I only mention the false Mayan prophecy simply because I did expect a lot of folks to be nervous over that who have no faith)

It occurs to me that this may be what fits the sign of men's hearts failing them from fear. I always assumed that this would be because we would be in a massive war or in a chaotic society. But the absolute fear of what may come is probably more intense than knowing exactly what is happening at that second.

Throughout the entire Bible, we are instructed to fear not many times. And yet, I think there are quite a few Christians out there that are prepping and forgetting this....what do you think?
    Obie likes this.

Obie is offline Citizen

Default Re: Men's Hearts Will Fail Them From Fear....

I think you are exactly right. Much fear in today's society. Flipping through channels I came across one of those prepper shows. Very interesting, I watched because the dad was teaching his young son to build a shelter out of what he found in the woods. Kid could have been Daniel Boone.

Actually, after seeing what the kid built, I would be able to the same thing. But, that's the only part of the prepper thing I watched. I don't want to be listening to the gloom and doom stuff. And though I did not watch an entire episode, I feel certain our Lord wasn't mention at all.
    Miss Ginger

anath is online now I Love the Lord

Yes men's hearts will fail from the expectations of whats to come which is judgement from God.
    IMHO, when man has exausted all his resources and he comes to the realization that what he has put his hope & trust in has ultimately failed and that he is utterly hopeless.
    Prepping seems to be a forerunner but people have different gods and different sources whom they rely on.
    For instance, here in my city, many many people have their faith and trust in their government and so they are looking to another source other than themselves.
    Anyway, they know they are gonna have to face their maker and so the fear causes their hearts to fail.
    Thank you Lord I won't be here for this horrific time on earth.
    Susan

Amazing love! How can it be that Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?

Ducati is offline Citizen

Jim Bakker and his band of gypsies have been doing this for a few years now. Old habits are hard to brake.

Meg
    Meg is offline Citizen

With rising prices and falling wages I see no reason why anything is wrong with aiming for some form of self sufficiency. We have a family across the road who have got a small bit of land with chickens, geese, a turkey and a vegetable garden. Some of the skills you mentioned on the TV, like building a shelter in the woods might help someone in an emergency as well. Anything can go too far, but a bit of common sense about now could be useful.

As to men's hearts failing with fear, yes indeed. Many are. I don't blame people when they're unemployed, out on a limb and facing foreclosure... These are troubled and troubling times...
    FaithInChrist likes this.

But Meg, in these troubled times, isn't it when times are rough that we're supposed to look and have faith in the Lord to provide? Believe me, I understand making sure you have the normal provisions for yourself and for your family, but it's those who are going above and beyond to the point where fear is literally ruling their lives that I'm wondering about. I think with all of these doom and gloom stuff on the news these days, along with unemployment, gas price rises, etc., that folks are literally forgetting to trust in the Lord and they're allowing fear to rule their every thought, their every action. Then once they've done with what they think is enough prepping for themselves and their families, they're actually sitting back and trusting in their material goods to save them. That's what I've been noticing and what I think Lord is not happy about.
    Hannah likes this.

mattfivefour is online now Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by WhisperWisdom View Post
    But Meg, in these troubled times, isn't it when times are rough that we're supposed to look and have faith in the Lord to provide? Believe me, I understand making sure you have the normal provisions for yourself and for your family, but it's those who are going above and beyond to the point where fear is literally ruling their lives that I'm wondering about. I think with all of these doom and gloom stuff on the news these days, along with unemployment, gas price rises, etc., that folks are literally forgetting to trust in the Lord and they're allowing fear to rule their every thought, their every action. Then once they've done with what they think is enough prepping for themselves and their families, they're actually sitting back and trusting in their material goods to save them. That's what I've been noticing and what I think Lord is not happy about.
    I think your point is well made, Whisper. We are all to live as though Christ will come today, and plan as though He weren't coming for a lifetime. In other words we are to work, and live within our means, setting aside for routine purposes. It is one thing to take prudent measures; it is another to so fear that you believe you are the one who will prevent your future suffering by stocking up on supplies and taking other precautions. Jesus told us that we need not worry about tomorrow. He said that God knows what we need and He will provide it. Our only concern should be focused on today, on seeking to both trust Him and obey Him. I find that quite enough to consume my energies, without worrying about what is coming in the future. God has told us what is coming not so we may do what we can to avert being caught in the suffering, but so that we might be encouraged as we see the signs that precede His returning; so that, knowing it is close, we might keep ourselves pure; so that we might be faithful in our efforts to proclaim His good news of salvation by grace alone, through faith alone, in Jesus Christ alone and what He did on the Cross; and so that we might have signs to which to point when testifying as to the truth of His Word.
    discdog98 and BobFin like this.
    -------"You are not your own; you are bought with a price." 1 Corinthians 6:19b-20a

------ ------ ------

Meg
    Meg is offline Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by WhisperWisdom View Post
    I don't think the Lord blames people for being scared. I do think there might be something to consider in deep prayer in what some people may be doing in their fear. If someone is lashing out at others, taking out their strains on people around them, there is a problem there. A lot of people cite the "Fear not" verses, like we are denied the right to feel. I think that is kind of hard hearted sometimes. I think more accurate may be to not be overwhelmed or mastered by fear. That, however, is very difficult in some situations... The Bible instructs us to be sober minded and alert (1 Peter 5:8). I think that is an important key in dealing with times like these. It is one thing to be scared, but it is another thing entirely to be ruled by fear and panicking. That is where prayer comes in very strongly. When I am most afraid, and I have had some extremely frightening times as a Christian, I have confessed my fears and prayed for strength, wisdom and God's will. As I am in more trouble again this year, that is what I am doing right now too. It's taking everything I have and more, I pray when I am awake and my husband tells me I cry in my sleep... Yea, its that bad right now. But one thing I'm not doing is panicking. I am doing my best to keep a level head and make the most rational possible decisions. Making very sure I have priorities straight, and working hard to operate in love. If things continue to go downhill, I will serve the Lord wherever I find myself. Thats what Christians do overseas when they are thrown in prisons to endure unspeakable suffering, that is the example I hang onto in times like this. What Robert and I are enduring is nothing in the face of what we have both heard of happening to fellow Christians overseas, so if they can stand in Christ in the face of severe beatings, starvation and isolation, I can handle what relatively mild discomfort may be asked of me, and come what may, I will continue to testify of the Grace of Jesus Christ to anyone I may meet along the way. I hope that helps some...

Everlasting Life is offline Through Faith in Jesus

Meg...

Robert is offline Citizen

Scripture is replete with both taking wise precautions for the future as well as trusting in the Lord for our care. When the Bible tells us to "fear not", I don't take it as a command but as a reassurance from the Lord that He will hold us in the midst of the storm. The Lord doesn't blame people for being afraid; after all, He created us with emotions and fear is one of those emotions. He understands what frightens us and through His word, He steadies us calmly and reassures us that He has everything in hand.

That being said, the Lord also gave us minds and has granted resources so that we could plan for the future and be ready when needed. The key here is not one extreme nor the other, but to trust in the Lord AND be ready for what comes, if we can be. Its' when we trust in our preparations rather than in the Lord's providence that we get into trouble; those preparations can come undone in moments through events we do not expect. And frankly, none of us can prepare ahead for every single thing. In fact, many simply don't have the resources to prepare for any of what is coming due to circumstances, and the Lord isn't going to fault them for simply not having resources available to them. The Lord didn't give anybody everything, but He gave everybody something; and I think that's where being the Body comes into play. We all help one another out when there is need, each in their own way and ability. Not all of us are eyes, ears, nor hands or feet. But we all serve a function and we all have a purpose in the Body. And as we draw nearer to the time of the Rapture, it will become increasingly more important to look after and seek to serve one another in love and caring for our fellow Christians' needs, both physical as well as spiritual.

But it is going to any extreme that is harmful, and either throwing all caution to the wind or hiding in absolute terror is going to cause more problems than it will solve. When Satan tempted Jesus to throw Himself off the pinnacle of the Temple, He didn't do it; Jesus wasn't going to tempt the Father by seeing if He would catch Jesus before He struck even his foot against the ground. At the same time, when Jesus said "For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?" (Matthew 6:25, NASB, emphasis mine), He wasn't saying "don't even think about it". He was emphasizing that our first concerns should be on doing the Lord's will rather than on our own needs. He didn't mean that we should ignore them completely and run around naked and starving, but just putting things into perspective.

I think Paul said it the best in Romans:

"But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves; we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body. For we who live are constantly being delivered over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh. So death works in us, but life in you." (2 Corinthians 4: 7-12, NASB, emphasis mine)

I don't say any of this lightly: as Meg has mentioned, we have trouble again this year. And I would be an absolute liar if I claimed that I wasn't worried and even scared myself. It was this time two years ago that Social Security wanted 23,000 dollars from my dad that we didn't have, and almost a year later that we lost my mom 4 days before my birthday. Now, a year past that, we are facing even more trouble, and my fears are for my beautiful wife Meg. But in the midst of this latest storm, all I can do is to keep doing my best on my end of things, and to humbly kneel before the Lord in prayer and bring all of this before Him and lay it before His Throne of Grace.

Those are my thoughts on the matter; and to be honest, from this point on, I think the cheeseburger jokes will have to take an extended hiatus on my part.

And Hon:

Everlasting Life is offline Through Faith in Jesus

Well said. Praying for both of you.......

Meg
    Meg is offline Citizen

To Everlasting Life, thank you...

Elijah's Mantle is offline Citizen

me too

Loves you' all

RandallB is offline Citizen

I am not a prepper but one of my sons send me this ad today for a hiking stove and almost makes me want to switch over.

Burns sticks - no smoke and charges your USB devices!!!

Ya, It'll leave a mark.

Pre-Flood; Pre-Furnace; Pre-Fierce Anger (orgēn)

How is that 'Times Of The Gentiles' working out for you, World?

Thank you Meg & Robert for your responses. They have really helped me to put some things into perspective. It is all too easy to get caught up in fear and be ruled by the opinions of the world without realizing it. I hope and pray that whatever you may be facing the Lord takes you safetly through.
    Obie and Meg like this.

OliveOilMom is offline Resident

There was an episode of "Wife Swap" where one family was preppers and very much into the Mayan prophesy. They actually had a white board with the number of days left until "TEOTWAWKI" that one older daughter would update every day. In the end of that episode, the wife that had been sent to that family had an actual Mayan scholar to come in and talk to the husband and tell him that the whole "end of the world" thing due to the calander isn't true at all and he explained why. I think he got through to the husband. The wife from that family was sent to a family that was into status, etc. I think one of the kids was into some professional type sports or going to be in the Olympics, or something. It was a long time ago.

I remember when the Y2K scare was around, and people were stocking up and prepping for that. I even have a book about how to prepare for Y2K. It does have good information about how to plan for disasters, so I kept it. We live in the country and several months ago one of the water mains busted and there was a water contamination and boil order for a while. I looked up in the book how to store water for later use, and I put up quite a few 2 litre drink bottles of water for in case there is another water main break or contamination like that.

I don't really think there is going to be some big end of the world thing on 12/21/12. I think we could have a disaster like they predict any day, and it's up to God when and if we have it. I'll prepare for likely disasters, such as power outages from storms, frozen water pipes, etc, but I'm not going to go all out preparing for some unlikely scenario. We may not even be here for such a scenario. If we are, then I'll just trust God to get us through it and show us what to do.

I think some people go too far. I saw another family on Wife Swap who were into that, and they ate raw meat. No kidding. They would preserve raw meat for four months and then eat it. They did that in case there was no way to survive and cook food. They also didn't send their kids to school or even do actual homeschooling, and their kids had no friends or anything. They all stayed on this one farm. That is going way too far I think. Trusting in God and using common sense is the combination that would work the best for anyone, at least thats what I believe.
    Hannah likes this.

mattfivefour is online now Super Moderator

They would preserve raw meat for four months and then eat it. They did that in case there was no way to survive and cook food. They also didn't send their kids to school or even do actual homeschooling, and their kids had no friends or anything. They all stayed on this one farm.
    People like that, OOM, are most likely not even saved. I have found that people who veer toward the fringes tend to not have a solid base in Jesus Christ.
    Meg and Elijah's Mantle like this.
    -------"You are not your own; you are bought with a price." 1 Corinthians 6:19b-20a

------ ------ ------

Elijah's Mantle is offline Citizen

People like that, OOM, are most likely not even saved. I have found that people who veer toward the fringes tend to not have a solid base in Jesus Christ.
    I believe your 100 percent right on about that brother Matt , they always trust their own means of ways instead of believing they can trust God .

How saved can people who do not believe in God's plan be ?
    How saved can people who do not TRUST IN God's plan be ?

I used to know a loose screw that thought he had to do all this really nutty stuff to survive, and one time I ask him some direct questions, and after he got through with his response I did not have to second guess, that he had no trust hope or faith in God or God's plan , I knew he did not

Doubt and unbelief in God's plan is no small sin folks

Doubt and unbelief is the two powers that can really cast a person into hell

why is it God commanded people some things are only granted on basis of FAITH ????????????

some things are flat out dangerous people
    do NOT fall for some tactics

Ask GOD about it

can you almost hear him say OOH yee of NO FAITH

because for man to do whatever he thinks is going to save him in the flesh

its just fear of dying and God always sent his own to first command FEAR NOT

you know if you study out the reasoning of peppers
    It all comes down to the pride of man saying
    look what we can do to make sure we survive it all

Id much rather be SAVED from it all
    than just survive it all to later not be a part of it all
    (eternity is a long time to be wrong )

Live BY FAITH
    your heart will never die from being scared to death
    God's plan is perfect
    man's plans always fail miserably

which one you FAITHFULLY TRUST
    IS
    WHICH ONE YOU CHOSE

CHOOSE WISELY PEOPLE

OliveOilMom is offline Resident

I've heard so many reasons for stocking up that it's not funny. I've heard quite a few people, who say they are Christians, compare it to Noah, and say that God wants His people to be ready for a disaster that's coming to those who do't follow Him. I just don't see that as true, because I think if it were, He would have made that known to all of us. It's also not in the Bible, but then some people interpret it differently and insist that it's the right way. I think a lot of them are small fringe groups.

I'm not afraid of death, but I'm going to try and put it off as long as possible. I'm going to be prepared for the usual things that happen around here. That's not anything that proves not trusting God, I don't think. I just don't think He wants us to go overboard like those people do on tv and such. Most of them talk about hiding how much stuff they have so people won't take it or they won't have to share it, and I can't imagine Christians hiding something so they don't have to share. The only way I wouldn't share would be if it were to be going to cost my children their lives by running out of food. Then, and only then, would I refuse to share what I have with somebody who needed it. The big secrecy thing and the statements about keeping it all to themselves is a red flag to me, even if they do profess Christ and claim to be a follower of Him.

He wants us to use common sense, of course. He doesn't want us to go overboard and only rely on yourselves either I don't believe. I think it's with His help and only with His help, that we can survive adversity, even if it's something small like problems after a storm. Common sense + faith + love of neighbors means we can all pull through the every day disasters. I don't think we will be here for a big, worldwide disaster. We may be here for something big where we live, ie earthquakes, storms, floods, tsunami's etc, but I don't think any of us will be here for a TEOTWAWKI situation, and I think that the rapture will very likely trigger a situation like that worldwide. I think that's something that preppers aren't taking into consideration, especially Christian preppers. They seem to be prepping for something that they shouldn't be here for, instead of the things that are likely to happen between now and then.
    mattfivefour and Obie like this.

Obie is offline Citizen

"a TEOTWAWKI situation".....what in the world is that??!!
    Miss Ginger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information