• 2 Post By B@rry
  • 5 Post By duckdogger
  • 3 Post By araj54

Thread: Fukushima: Now For The Tough Part 13 Nov 2013

Bookmark and Share
    B@rry is offline Defender of the Faith

Default Fukushima: Now For The Tough Part 13 Nov 2013

via Reuters / November 13, 2013 /

The operator of Japan‘s crippled Fukushima nuclear plant will as early as this week begin removing 400 tonnes of highly irradiated spent fuel in a hugely delicate and unprecedented operation fraught with risk.

Carefully plucking more than 1,500 brittle and potentially damaged fuel assemblies from the plant’s unstable Reactor No. 4 is expected to take about a year, and will be seen as a test of Tokyo Electric Power Co’s ability to move ahead with decommissioning the whole facility – a task likely to take decades and cost tens of billions of dollars.

If the rods – there are 50-70 in each of the assemblies, which weigh around 300 kg (660 pounds) and are 4.5 metres (15 feet) long – are exposed to air or if they break, huge amounts of radioactive gases could be released into the atmosphere.

Fukushima Update | Fukushima: Now For The Tough Part

readytogo is offline Citizen

Default Re: Fukushima: Now For The Tough Part 13 Nov 2013

And if they break, we'll be told that it's not that serious...
    AndyM and B@rry like this.

Can you imagine the disaster for the nuclear industry if something blew up here?

No wonder there is virtual silence from mainstream media - just keep the plebs focused on reality tv shows and sport and Kim Kardashian
    LivnForChrist and AndyM like this.

duckdogger is offline Citizen

It appears when we develop these processes and technologies, we should allocate more time to their deactivation or damage control in catastrophic events.

Likewise, I have always wondered what plans Dr Frankenstein put in place to retire his monstrous creation. I think he ended up as an IT guy on the Obamacare website team.

araj54 is offline Citizen

This is turning into a major disaster for Japan, both financially and damage to health and well being of their people. I'm of the belief that much more damage similar to this will occur during the great tribulation to many of the nuclear plants around the world contributing to the massive loss of life foretold in Revelation.
    AndyM, RandallB and B@rry like this.
    Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

DanLW is offline Citizen

Fortunately, reactor grade material cannot explode. That's what the whole issue with Iran right now is.

From what I've read, 4-5% enriched uranium is what is needed for the purposes of nuclear power. But Iran is enriching to 20%. Weapons grade is 90%, but the whole point is that it takes a lot longer to get from 5% to weapons grade than 20% to weapons grade.

So in relation to Fukushima, the radioactive material isn't anywhere near the grade required to detonate in an explosive reaction. And even if it was, it still needs to be explosively compressed in order to reach the supercritical mass which results in a nuclear detonation.

The explosions at the plant which occurred in the days following the earthquake were from hydrogen gas buildup.

Joe B is offline Citizen

Can't say that I have too much confidence in the Tokyo Electric Companies ability to handle this, certainly not with record to date.

Would have been much happier if they had turned to and used the far greater technical experts in this field that other countries have to offer!

Must say that I wonder why the world has stood back from this when it has the potential to have worldwide implications.

Willie Re: Fukushima: Now For The Tough Part 13 Nov 2013

Quote Originally Posted by araj54 View Post
    This is turning into a major disaster for Japan, both financially and damage to health and well being of their people. I'm of the belief that much more damage similar to this will occur during the great tribulation to many of the nuclear plants around the world contributing to the massive loss of life foretold in Revelation.
    When you consider the earthquakes and asteriods and other stuff that will happen in the Tribulation then nuclear poisoning is inevitable.

France alone has about 54 reactors I think!

Glad we won't be here

Thread Information