I guess this is a good spot to ask this question.
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By makememeek
  • 5 Post By mattfivefour
  • 1 Post By Longing2cJesus
  • 1 Post By GlennO

Thread: I guess this is a good spot to ask this question.

Bookmark and Share
    makememeek is offline Citizen

Default I guess this is a good spot to ask this question.

I know that the words "belief", "faith" and "trust"
    are not exactly the same.

Could somebody help explain to me the exact meanings of
    and differences between those three most important words?
    Longing2cJesus likes this.

nillapoet is offline Citizen

Default Re: I guess this is a good spot to ask this question.

In for mattfivefour's response. My response would suck.

mattfivefour is offline Super Moderator

Actually, while there may be subtle differences in English, in the original Greek there is no difference. "Faith", "belief", and "trust" are all essentially the same word.

The verb pisteuo (πιστεύω) is translated both as "to have faith" and "to believe". It comes from a root word peitho (πείθω) meaning "to persuade" or, in the passive and middle voices, "to be persuaded".

The noun sometimes translated "faith" and at other times "belief" is pistis (πίστις). For example, in 1 Peter 1:7 where the apostle speak of "the trial of your faith", the word "faith" is pistis. And then in 2 Thessalonians 2:13 when Paul says, "God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth" the word "belief" is also pistis. It, too, comes from the same root as the verb, namely peitho.

The word "trust" is no different. For example, when Paul says in Philippians 2:24 "But I trust in the Lord that I also myself shall come shortly" the word "trust" is pistheou, which as we have seen is the root word from which faith and belief come from.

Thus we can understand that belief, trust, and faith all refer to our being persuaded in our hearts and minds of the truth of whatever God has told us in His Word.
    mikhen7, Kathy_57, Meg and 2 others like this.
    -------"You are not your own; you are bought with a price." 1 Corinthians 6:19b-20a

------ ------ ------

Quote Originally Posted by makememeek View Post
    I know that the words "belief", "faith" and "trust"
    are not exactly the same.

Could somebody help explain to me the exact meanings of
    and differences between those three most important words?
    Hi makememeek,

The dictionary definition of "belief" a religious tenet or tenets; religious creed or faith: the Christian belief.

2Th 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

The dictionary definition of "faith" a system of religious belief: the Christian faith; the Jewish faith. 9. in faith, in truth; indeed:

Rom 10:17 So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

The dictionary definition of "faith" reliance on the integrity, strength, ability, surety, etc., of a person or thing; confidence. confident expectation of something; hope. a person on whom or thing on which one relies: God is my trust.

We first "believe" that God is Who He says He is and that His Word is the Gospel. In reading God's Word we come to "faith" by the teaching of the Holy Spirit who is our Comforter and Counselor and teacher. In this verse John is explaining that we need no man teach us as it is through the Holy Spirit teaching us that we come to belief and faith in God. 1Jo 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him. AND then there is "trust" Psa 118:8 [It is] better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man. Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. Psa 18:2 The LORD [is] my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, [and] my high tower.

In reading God's Word I came to believe that what it says is the absolute truth and faith in God grew as I learned from His Word. Believing and having faith that what God says in His Word is the truth, I totally and without a doubt trust in Him.

I was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer in April 2008 and given 3 years to live. I was happy that I was going to see Jesus soon. I believed His Word when He said He would never leave me nor forsake me. Reading and knowing God's Word enabled me to have faith in Him and I trust in Him to do as He says in His Word. I have seen God work things out in my life the past 4 years that I would never have thought I would see come to pass. I can say without a doubt that I trust totally in Him. I am still here because He has plans for me that are His Will. He directs my steps. I don't look at the circumstances in my life I look to Him.

God knows every minute detail regarding each and every one of us. He knows what is ahead of each and every one of us. He is our Creator and our LORD and Saviour. He gave His life for each and every one of us so that we might spend eternity with Him. How can we not believe, trust and have faith in One so Good.

The three words are intertwined together in their meaning.

I hope this answers your OP question.

God Bless you and continue asking questions.

Ann
    Kathy_57 likes this.
    Phl 4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, [therewith] to be content. Phl 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Titus 2: 1-5

Jesus the Α & Ω

makememeek is offline Citizen

Thank you all for your replies.
    There's a lot to digest.

I do know this: "Belief" is a noun, not a verb.

Even the word, "believe", while a verb, does not necessarily
    indicate a saving "belief".
    The devils also believe and tremble.

Whereas, saving "faith" is always an active verb.
    James 2:14-26 explains it best to me.

GlennO is offline Citizen

Matt said:
    Actually, while there may be subtle differences in English, in the original Greek there is no difference. "Faith", "belief", and "trust" are all essentially the same word.

The verb pisteuo (πιστεύω) is translated both as "to have faith" and "to believe". It comes from a root wordpeitho (πείθω) meaning "to persuade" or, in the passive and middle voices, "to be persuaded".

The noun sometimes translated "faith" and at other times "belief" is pistis (πίστις). For example, in 1 Peter 1:7where the apostle speak of "the trial of your faith", the word "faith" is pistis. And then in 2 Thessalonians 2:13 when Paul says, "God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth" the word "belief" is also pistis. It, too, comes from the same root as the verb, namelypeitho.

The word "trust" is no different. For example, when Paul says in Philippians 2:24 "But I trust in the Lord that I also myself shall come shortly" the word "trust" is pistheou, which as we have seen is the root word from which faith and belief come from.

Thus we can understand that belief, trust, and faith all refer to our being persuaded in our hearts and minds of the truth of whatever God has told us in His Word.
    Outstanding response!!
    mikhen7 likes this.
    Consider the words of Omar M. Ahmad, founder of CAIR: "Islam isn't in America to be equal to any other faith, but to become dominant." ... "The Koran, the Muslim book of scripture, should be the highest authority in America , and Islam the only accepted religion on Earth."

Thread Information