A Challenge

Thread: A Challenge

Bookmark and Share
    mattfivefour is offline Super Moderator

Default A Challenge

It's been a long time since I have read Spurgeon. But for a long time he was my daily fare. This morning I briefly revisited his devotions and was challenged by this exhortation.
    "Thou, Lord, hast made me glad through Thy work."—Psalm 92:4.
    Do you believe that your sins are forgiven, and that Christ has made a full atonement for them? Then what a joyful Christian you ought to be! How you should live above the common trials and troubles of the world! Since sin is forgiven, can it matter what happens to you now? Luther said, "Smite, Lord, smite, for my sin is forgiven; if Thou hast but forgiven me, smite as hard as Thou wilt"; and in a similar spirit you may say, "Send sickness, poverty, losses, crosses, persecution, what Thou wilt, Thou hast forgiven me, and my soul is glad." Christian, if thou art thus saved, whilst thou art glad, be grateful and loving. Cling to that cross which took thy sin away; serve thou Him who served thee. "I beseech you therefore, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service." (Romans 12:1) Let not your zeal evaporate in some little ebullition of song. Show your love in expressive tokens. Love the brethren of Him who loved you. If there be a Mephibosheth anywhere who is lame or halt, help him for Jonathan's sake. If there be a poor tried believer, weep with him, and bear his cross for the sake of Him who wept for thee and carried thy sins. Since thou art thus forgiven freely for Christ's sake, go and tell to others the joyful news of pardoning mercy. Be not contented with this unspeakable blessing for thyself alone, but publish abroad the story of the cross. Holy gladness and holy boldness will make you a good preacher, and all the world will be a pulpit for you to preach in. Cheerful holiness is the most forcible of sermons, but the Lord must give it you. Seek it this morning before you go into the world. When it is the Lord's work in which we rejoice, we need not be afraid of being too glad.
    -------"You are not your own; you are bought with a price." 1 Corinthians 6:19b-20a

------ ------ ------

Meg
    Meg is offline Citizen

Default Re: A Challenge

I have been assured my sins are forgiven, but for all that, I'm not going to ask the Lord to smite me... In fact, right about now, I'm rejoicing in faith in smite of all thats gone wrong.

I got a lot out of Ravi Zacharias this morning, and what he had to say about faith and circumstances...

myinnuendo999 is offline Citizen

Luther said, "Smite, Lord, smite, for my sin is forgiven; if Thou hast but forgiven me, smite as hard as Thou wilt";
    that's beautiful and so very true.

I remember the verse that says, Jesus became poor so that we might become rich. In 2 Cor. 8:9 " For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes, he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich."

"I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.

it is our FLESH that cringes because we don't SEE what God sees. He sees us Forgiven, sanctified, holy Righteous,Justified 1Cor. 6:11 "And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.,,Rom 8:30 "And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified."--done deal and yet we don't believe because we are in debt and yet we don't believe because we are ravaged by disease. It's not about US it's about "CHRIST IN ME THE HOPE OF GLORY" --Colossians 1:27. we see this present world and that is why we must take our eyes OFF of things we see and fix our eyes on what is UNSEEN.

sharing in Christs sufferings teachs us just a glimpse of what pain Jesus went through just so we could know HIM. It teaches us his love and teaches us how to appreciate him more and more which leads to obedience and to appreciate those around us who are suffering to help them. We must walk in Jesus' footsteps before we can know what Christianity really is about.

Philippians 2:5 "Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:,,"

wonderful truth mattfivefour and one that we ALL should have the right perspective when pain comes and heartache and disappointments knowing that there is the silver lining in the clouds and we shouldn't "think" this present life of sufferings is worthy of what we will receive in heaven one day. We should be thinking in terms of God's eternal purpose for our lives is much MUCH bigger than what we are focusing on. God could be using suffering in our lives for "Jesus's sake" to save someone through you. God could be using hardships in your life to mold your character to be more christlike and set you free from some trust issues that are binding you down for Christ's sake. Remember, God longs to see us FREE from the cares of this present world that is passing away.

Philippians 3:8 "What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ

oh that we would all learn what is really most important and store our treasures in heaven and not on this earth

sorry Adrian I get carried away sumtimes
    Last edited by myinnuendo999; August-14th-2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: additional thoughts

mattfivefour is offline Super Moderator

No need to be sorry, sis. When we see the beauty of Christ and all that He has given us it is easy for our soul to be raptured to ecstatic heights! Hallelujah! \o/
    -------"You are not your own; you are bought with a price." 1 Corinthians 6:19b-20a

------ ------ ------

king'sbloomingrose is offline He is able to save

RAVI ZACHARIAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meg! I didn't know you listened to him, he's one of my favorite radio preachers next to J. V. McGee.

But they that wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Thread Information