why are seeker churches okay with shacking up, but downsize those who chose to be single?

Thread: why are seeker churches okay with shacking up, but downsize those who chose to be single?

Bookmark and Share
    billiefan2000 is offline Citizen

Omaha Nebraska and Dreamland when I am sleeping

Default why are seeker churches okay with shacking up, but downsize those who chose to be single?

after reading

AP News: Married couples in less than half of US households

I have to ask something on a side note:

considering it is largely tolerated in many seeker churches (including many willow creek association churches

why are seeker churches okay with shacking up, but downsize those who chose to be single

I mention this cause of this and a trend as someone who chooses to be single

and is looked down by other christians for choosing to be single

(I have been mocked by some who look at me for being "weird" for being single still at 31. I am single cause I have trust issues that I wont get into and that is me getting off topic)

but I have seen what I would call a double standard.

in fact, I know of instances of folks who claim to be "christians" and the seeker church they go to tolerates and even to some extent endorses their behavior

but if you choose to be single at that same church, u are seen as weird

(I know of current and ex-seeker church members who have been looked down for choosing to be single

why is it okay for willow creek association churches and other types of seeker churches have no problem with christians (even members of their own churches okay with shacking up,

but downsize those who chose to be single
    http://prayerlistforrockstars.blogspot.com/
    http://www.hollywoodprayernetwork.org
    http://www.jewsforjesus.org

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matthew 6:21)

WhisperWisdom is offline Faithfully Yours Lord!

Default Re: why are seeker churches okay with shacking up, but downsize those who chose to be single?

Hmmm....I think it's more of that old tradition still rearing it's head when it comes to women and marriage. I'm 32 years of age, and still single myself. Have not met a man yet that seriously made me want to take that life long vow, so you're not alone in this.

The problem is, most folks are used to women having at least one marriage in their backgrounds by the time they even approach their 30s. Sad, I know.

As a matter of fact, I even was feeling guilty to some degree just for being single when all of my friends had gotten married in their 20s and started having children. Guess what? Over the past few months, just about every one of them, now in their 30s, are getting a divorce. I was shocked to tell you the truth, as I thought some of them had great marriages.

In the end, I'm glad that I'm waiting and that I didn't end up with a failed marriage in my past. That's a lot of baggage to deal with. Plus, in looking back, I realize that I still needed to reach maturity on some level, and would not necessarily have been the easiest wife to have at that time.

When you try to live right as God wants, folks will always look at you sideways, even the Christian ones, because it's just not seen as the "normal" way in society. No one wants to wait. Hang in there, and live your life the way you're comfortable with, and the way you know pleases God.

billiefan2000 is offline Citizen

Omaha Nebraska and Dreamland when I am sleeping

Default Re: why are seeker churches okay with shacking up, but downsize those who chose to be single?

Quote Originally Posted by WhisperWisdom View Post
    When you try to live right as God wants, folks will always look at you sideways, even the Christian ones, because it's just not seen as the "normal" way in society. No one wants to wait. Hang in there, and live your life the way you're comfortable with, and the way you know pleases God.

:amen
    http://prayerlistforrockstars.blogspot.com/
    http://www.hollywoodprayernetwork.org
    http://www.jewsforjesus.org

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matthew 6:21)

micah719 is offline an adopted son of The Most High God John 6:37-40

Romans 1:28-32
    28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
    29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
    30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
    31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
    32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

DanLW is offline Citizen

Paul said that it is good to remain single, as it gives you more time to focus on God. As for me, I couldn't remain single, as I would burn with passion, and so I married. But there is nothing scripturally wrong with remaining single. It's biblically wrong to forbid marriage, but nothing wrong with choosing for yourself to be single.

See also 1 Corinthians 7.

Thread Information