• 3 Post By Kathy_57
  • 1 Post By mattfivefour
  • 1 Post By Kathy_57
  • 1 Post By David T. McKee

Thread: Never Thirst Again

Bookmark and Share
    Kathy_57 is offline Citizen

Default Never Thirst Again

Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." John 4: 13-14

"Never Thirst Again" - Three simple words spoken by a weary Nazarene teacher one afternoon as He stopped by a Samaritan well for a drink. He encountered a woman there who had many secrets and many regrets. Although He initially asked her for a drink, it was she who received the promise of living water from this Stranger - a Stranger who knew everything about her dark past and yet only spoke forgiveness. She would later learn the full measure of His redemptive love at the foot of a cross and the doorway of an empty tomb.

"Never Thirst Again" - Three simple works - and our past is forgiven, our present is fulfilled, and our future is eternally secure. Now that's the promise of Easter

The need for water is one of the most basic needs of mankind. Thirst is something we have all experienced and understand. We may survive for a period of time without food, but we cannot live without water. Deprive your body of necessary fluid, and your body will tell you. Deprive your soul of spiritual water and your soul will tell you.

On several occasions, Jesus described our spiritual condition in terms of thirst……….
    John records that Jesus stood up and began to speak in a loud voice, "If a man is thirsty, let him come to me and drink." It was not a complex statement and no one in that multitude could say his words were too deep, too hard to understand. The entire sentence can be condensed into three words: thirsty, come, drink.

Thirsty! It is a strong word. It signifies an intense craving, a desperate need. Thirst is no ‘take it or leave it’ feeling. If we are thirsty, we must have a drink. There were many in the crowd that day who had a passive experience with God. They knew about him and dutifully fulfilled their religious rituals. But they were content with life as it was. They were not thirsty. But Jesus knew there were others who did long for a more meaningful relationship with God. And so He spoke to them: "If any man has a strong desire, an intense craving to know God, listen and I’ll tell you what to do"

Come! Come is one of the simplest words in our language. It is an inviting word. "Come in," we say to our friends, or "Come over!" It is a word of reaching out to offer comfort, compassion or love. Little children understand it early in life. So Jesus extended the invitation to anyone who longed to know God better. "Come," He said. "Come to me."

Drink! Rushing into the kitchen, "dying for a drink," we don’t just take the glass of water in our hand and look at it. We drink it, every drop! Anyone who has experienced deep thirst knows the feeling of utter satisfaction.

The same applies in a spiritual sense. It is not enough to hear about Jesus, to give mental assent to his claims. We must receive Him into our lives. When Jesus met the woman at the well (John chapter 4), he spoke to her of living water – water that could become a spring, bubbling up within her. Now, a few days later, he explained to the multitude, "Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water shall flow from within him.

Have you become aware of a deep thirst for God? Do you want to take a "drink of the living water?" Are you thirsty? - then come and drink. Come to Jesus and experience the joy and peace that only He can give. Experience the fountain of living water continually bubbling up within you. What Jesus said is true: "Whosoever drinks the water that I give him will never thirst again" (John 4:4)

Come and come thirsty!
    anath, IamPJ and David T. McKee like this.

readytogo is offline Citizen

Default Re: Never Thirst Again

Beautiful!

mattfivefour is offline Super Moderator

Absolutely excellent article, Kathy! Thanks for posting it. I loved the three words: thirsty, come, drink. They indeed give Christ's message in simple, plain, unmistakable terms.

May I suggest a fourth important word in that passage? "If." Jesus said, "If any man ...." Unless a man is thirsty he will not desire water. Too many are so slaked with other things that they never experience that necessary spiritual thirst. May the Holy Spirit bring every man to a dry and desert place where he becomes clearly aware of thirst.
    Kathy_57 likes this.
    -------"You are not your own; you are bought with a price." —1 Corinthians 6:19b-20a

------ ------ ------

Kathy_57 is offline Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by mattfivefour View Post
    Absolutely excellent article, Kathy! Thanks for posting it. I loved the three words: thirsty, come, drink. They indeed give Christ's message in simple, plain, unmistakable terms.

May I suggest a fourth important word in that passage? "If." Jesus said, "If any man ...." Unless a man is thirsty he will not desire water. Too many are so slaked with other things that they never experience that necessary spiritual thirst. May the Holy Spirit bring every man to a dry and desert place where he becomes clearly aware of thirst.

Amen
    mattfivefour likes this.

David T. McKee is offline Jesus is Truth

Awesome! When he took our sins on himself, one of His final words were "I thirst" - that was our thirst taken into himself.

Thanks!
    mattfivefour likes this.
    Colossians 3:8 But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. Dear God help me to take off these filthy cloths!

Thread Information